Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2012 7:09:28 PM EDT
Has anyone encountered a pivot/hinge pin on a side folder that was absolutely frozen?  I took advantage of K-VAR's Father's Day sale and picked up their "desert sand" stock set to swap out the boring black set on my SLR-106FR.

I've swapped the stock on my Bulgarian kit build 74 a couple times, so I know it drives from bottom-top to get it out.  I checked this to make sure I haven't completely lost my mind and the pin comes out of that hinge easily.

Things I've tried so far:
-soaking pin in penetrating oil
-mallet blows on the punch
-mallet blows on the trunnion to push it down into the punch
-all of the above in my vice
-moving the stock around in different positions and pushing/hitting the punch
-taking out what looks like a stake job

Yes, the top cover is off.  Pin turns in the trunnion's hinge in time with the stock as it moves.

My current plan is to let it soak in the penetrating oil over night as maybe the pin is frozen in the stock's section of the hinge.  Any other bright ideas?  I've already put a couple scratches in the (albeit crappy Arsenal factory) finish on the trunnion and I'd like to avoid further cosmetic (or functional...) damage.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had luck moving the stock from open to closed and every position in between until I find the sweet spot. Never had one so stuck I couldn't get it out though...that's a new one

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I would only take this so far and then probably not continue. You risk ruining the rifle if your not careful.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would only take this so far and then probably not continue. You risk ruining the rifle if your not careful.

I concur, even replacing a 4.5mm stock pin is a nightmare these days.  Screwing up the trunnion, rivets, or the receiver itself would make me cry.  I've reached the limits of force that I'm comfortable with and I won't go beyond, and truthfully, I'm going to dial it back.

If my overnight oil soak is fruitless, I do have a heatgun I might try heating up the hinge with to see if the pin will work loose.  Can't get it anymore stuck at least.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Weird,mine just popped right out after a few taps from a punch and rubber mallet.
Interested to see how this turns out
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
dangit I have a desert sand set on my 106fr and I want black ! I knew I should've started a wtt ad in the EE.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
dangit I have a desert sand set on my 106fr and I want black ! I knew I should've started a wtt ad in the EE.

Well, it's just as well since I couldn't get the stock off. I would have bought it if you had done a WTS though!

Didn't have a lot of time to mess with it yesterday, but I did attempt to knock the pin out after 24 hours of penetrating oil - no difference.  I didn't try the heat gun and ultimately decided to put the stock set on the AKS-74 clone I have that was wearing a black set of furniture.  No problems driving that pin out.  Bought of bunch of those painted/sanitized Russian plum mags that were available a few years ago that I stripped the paint off that I'll repaint to match with Krylon.

I have a mental image of a huge Bulgarian dude twirling his mustache and thinking "I stake this one good" before driving his chisel into the top of the hinge twice.  I don't think that pin is going to come out short of drilling the top hinge out and I don't have the tooling to do that.

Appreciate the thoughts from everyone though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#7]
where are you located in TX? I'm in the Austin area, and if you're near by I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. Second opinion and all...

ETA:

And I have an extra 4.5 pin too if it does need to be drilled out.

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Just leave it be. It doesn't want the gay brown furniture.
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have the stock half way open or closed?
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
where are you located in TX? I'm in the Austin area, and if you're near by I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. Second opinion and all...

ETA:

And I have an extra 4.5 pin too if it does need to be drilled out.

Up in DFW.  Thanks for the offer (especially considering the pin!), but I have a Findsbaby arriving Tuesday so a trip probably isn't a great idea at the moment.    

Quoted:
Just leave it be. It doesn't want the gay brown furniture.

Quoted:
Do you have the stock half way open or closed?

Open, closed, halfway, every angle in between.  I really think it was staked extremely aggressively.  Not for any lack of effort on my part!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top