Site Notices
4/17/2014 3:33:50 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 6/2/2012 11:29:55 AM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
I have never owned an AK so I would like to get some feedback from someone who has. The guy is looking to get $800.00 for everything listed.
( Sellers Description) Its a pre ban AK-47, Romanian made. Its a Romarm Cugir GP/WASR-10/63. From what I can tell its from the 60's but its clean. It has a tapco match grade trigger, all upgraded from original wood to a rail system, wood is included. around 1,300 rounds through it., red dot, 6 mags 700 rounds.

Opinions??

FlyLeaf
Brass Slinger
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 12:07:30 PM
Way overpriced.
For that kinda money pick up an Arsenal,light years better quality and will hold resell value.
I would recommend an SLR or SGL Arsenal AK.

osprey21
Known Associate
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 12:24:31 PM
Pass.
Troubledjoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 12:26:30 PM
I'd pass. What makes pre-bans desirable is having the original parts. Not so much on that rifle.
brofro
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 12:29:41 PM
There are no pre ban Romanian WASRs. The date on the front trunnion is not considered the manufacture date since this AK was rebuilt on a new receiver sometime after the cutoff date for NYS AWB law.
ratfink57
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 12:57:16 PM
Originally Posted By brofro:
There are no pre ban Romanian WASRs. The date on the front trunnion is not considered the manufacture date since this AK was rebuilt on a new receiver sometime after the cutoff date for NYS AWB law.

This.. Not a PreBan.

Not a fan of AAC. I should have bought an Ops Inc.
10gage
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 2:01:53 PM
You could basically buy 2 for that
Troubledjoe
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 2:17:27 PM

Originally Posted By brofro:

That's pretty much what I figured. I've never heard of a Romanian pre-ban.
Krinkakov
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:11:23 PM
For that price I would get an Arsenal or you can get a Saiga and convert it. There are no WASR that are pre ban.
dskeet
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:12:30 PM
That isn't a Preban and it's grossly overpriced. Pass.
TheGrandIllusion
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:15:08 PM
Punch whoever is trying to sell that.
sdrake100
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 3:53:56 PM
[Last Edit: 6/2/2012 3:54:20 PM by sdrake100]
Originally Posted By Themancave:
I have never owned an AK so I would like to get some feedback from someone who has. The guy is looking to get $800.00 for everything listed.
( Sellers Description) Its a pre ban AK-47, Romanian made. Its a Romarm Cugir GP/WASR-10/63. From what I can tell its from the 60's but its clean. It has a tapco match grade trigger, all upgraded from original wood to a rail system, wood is included. around 1,300 rounds through it., red dot, 6 mags 700 rounds.

Opinions??

Never thought I'd read "Tapco" and "Match Grade" in the same sentence.
FlyLeaf
Brass Slinger
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:00:12 PM
Originally Posted By sdrake100:

Opinions??

lol, I was going to say something just like that,but i bit my lip.I think the seller is just fishing for a sucker.

OP read the advise given here and dont buy this rifle
BigAKFan
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:02:06 PM
[Last Edit: 6/2/2012 4:03:41 PM by BigAKFan]
There are no pre-ban Romanian AKs in the US. Not one. Period. The rifle itself is probably worth $400-$500,

if you really want it. The mags are worth between $35-$70. The ammo is worth around $170. I don't know about the red dot scope.

Personally, I'd pay $550-$600 for the whole package. It's not worth any more than that to me, or anyone who knows anything about AKs in the current market.

ETA: I missed the whole rail system part. The owner is high bucking his AK, but it's not really that out of line with todays market, now that I think about it.
sdrake100
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:13:24 PM
Originally Posted By BigAKFan:
There are no pre-ban Romanian AKs in the US. Not one. Period. The rifle itself is probably worth $400-$500,

if you really want it. The mags are worth between $35-$70. The ammo is worth around $170. I don't know about the red dot scope.

Personally, I'd pay $550-$600 for the whole package. It's not worth any more than that to me, or anyone who knows anything about AKs in the current market.

ETA: I missed the whole rail system part. The owner is high bucking his AK, but it's not really that out of line with todays market, now that I think about it.

Depending on the specifics of some of what he is offering (rail system, red dot), it's not too far off from $800 for the whole package. The lack of descriptions and specifics leads me to believe they are low-end items, however.
ARinKCMO
"The truth is...."
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:14:46 PM
Originally Posted By sdrake100:

Opinions??

While I wouldn't call the G2 a match grade trigger, it is definitely an improvement over the stock milsurp trigger. My WASR has one, it's pretty nice, no trigger slap either.
But yeah, OP That is way too much for a Tapco'ed out WASR, although the 700 rnds is a nice bonus. But, I also see you are in NY state, so I dunno what kind of prices are normal up there....
Life Member: NRA
Farmer-Ted
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:17:30 PM
Since NY is a ban state, Is a WASR even legal there?
phurba
Sardonic pragmatic redneck nerd
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:20:00 PM
AK prices have gotten downright silly lately. There's somebody on a local board trying to sell a WASR for $1000. And another trying to sell one for $1200.

New York legal for $600 new.
This post should not be construed as an indication that I would like to murder people.

ugh. you get caught in ONE furpile, ONE time and this is what happens...... - SouthEndXGF
Cycline3
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 4:45:59 PM
[Last Edit: 6/2/2012 4:49:55 PM by Cycline3]
Depends... in reality, that's way too high. In this crazy election year, its $100 less than I just saw one sell for on the EE.. so who knows... but if you wait out the election, either way, I figure the price will come back down. From what I can tell AKs are selling for double their price because many think they will be first to get outlawed in obama 2.0...

PS.. tapco may not be match grade.. but the ak trigger they make is great and cheap. I love the one in my AK, to hell with the critics...
phurba
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 5:13:15 PM
Originally Posted By Cycline3:
Depends... in reality, that's way too high. In this crazy election year, its $100 less than I just saw one sell for on the EE.. so who knows... but if you wait out the election, either way, I figure the price will come back down. From what I can tell AKs are selling for double their price because many think they will be first to get outlawed in obama 2.0...

PS.. tapco may not be match grade.. but the ak trigger they make is great and cheap. I love the one in my AK, to hell with the critics...

Triggers / FCG parts are the one thing that Tapco is awesome at. Their trigger retention bar is a nice upgrade from the original spring too. Basically, if it's made out of metal, it's going to be pretty good. If it's made out of plastic and it's a magazine, it might be OK. Otherwise....
This post should not be construed as an indication that I would like to murder people.

ugh. you get caught in ONE furpile, ONE time and this is what happens...... - SouthEndXGF
Themancave
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 5:24:51 PM
[Last Edit: 6/2/2012 5:27:50 PM by Themancave]
I thought it was a little overpriced when I first saw it but being that he's local to me so FTF is possible it's a pre ban AK + magazines + 700 rounds + red dot it made me wonder. He has been kind of flaky in emails with the details of what he's offering and from my reading here about the quality of Romanian made AK's, I started having doubts. He has never mentioned the magazines capacity or who makes the red dot sight, I have asked him to give me a call twice but he hasn't. Just too many red flags adding up to a gut feeling to pass on it and I was second in line to buy it, first guy passed for a reasons unknown to me but it wasn't because it was too good of deal I'm sure.
Thanks to all for the advice.
rmcgee
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 5:51:58 PM
Originally Posted By Farmer-Ted:
Since NY is a ban state, Is a WASR even legal there?

Maybe that's why he's advertising it as pre ban so it does not raise a red flag??
AKIOTY10
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 6:08:09 PM
seriously, he's trying to screw somebody over. I have seen wasrs new for 450.00

NEXT PLEASE.
Nothing cleaver to say !
phurba
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 7:20:49 PM
Originally Posted By AKIOTY10:
seriously, he's trying to screw somebody over. I have seen wasrs new for 450.00

NEXT PLEASE.

At one point you could buy WASRs for $299 all day long. But those are gone now, or at least gone for now. Prices on guns, ammo, and specifically AK (and even more so 5.45 magazines) are going full retard right now. Unless something politically stupid happens, the prices should come back down in a year or two. Prices were finally starting to get good again after the last election, and now they're on their way to being more stupid than they were before. If you can find something with WASRs in stock for $450 I'd like to know about it. Locally all I can find are $500-600.

Farmer-Ted
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 7:42:47 PM
but being that he's local to me so FTF is possible it's a pre ban AK

As said several times above, it is NOT pre-ban.

dskeet
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:18:21 PM
[Last Edit: 6/2/2012 8:24:13 PM by dskeet]
I thought it was a little overpriced when I first saw it but being that he's local to me so FTF is possible it's a pre ban AK + magazines + 700 rounds + red dot it made me wonder. He has been kind of flaky in emails with the details of what he's offering and from my reading here about the quality of Romanian made AK's, I started having doubts. He has never mentioned the magazines capacity or who makes the red dot sight, I have asked him to give me a call twice but he hasn't. Just too many red flags adding up to a gut feeling to pass on it and I was second in line to buy it, first guy passed for a reasons unknown to me but it wasn't because it was too good of deal I'm sure.
Thanks to all for the advice.

It is NOT a preban AK. Not even close. Romanian imports started long after the assault weapon bans went into place. WASRs are not a preban by any stretch of the imagination. The 19060's date you say is on it means that is when the original, select fire AK was made for the Romanian military. It was then disassembled sometime in the last 10 years and reassembled into a semi auto for export to the US. This is NOT a preban rifle.

The guy is overhyping it with BS about preban and match grade trigger to make it more appealing to a sucker who doesn't know anything about AKs. Don't be that sucker.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2