Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2012 7:29:55 AM EDT
I have never owned an AK so I would like to get some feedback from someone who has. The guy is looking to get $800.00 for everything listed.
( Sellers Description) Its a pre ban AK-47, Romanian made. Its a Romarm Cugir GP/WASR-10/63. From what I can tell its from the 60's but its clean. It has a tapco match grade trigger, all upgraded from original wood to a rail system, wood is included. around 1,300 rounds through it., red dot, 6 mags 700 rounds.

Opinions??

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Way overpriced.
For that kinda money pick up an Arsenal,light years better quality and will hold resell value.
I would recommend an SLR or SGL Arsenal AK.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd pass. What makes pre-bans desirable is having the original parts. Not so much on that rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#4]
There are no pre ban Romanian WASRs. The date on the front trunnion is not considered the manufacture date since this AK was rebuilt on a new receiver sometime after the cutoff date for NYS AWB law.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are no pre ban Romanian WASRs. The date on the front trunnion is not considered the manufacture date since this AK was rebuilt on a new receiver sometime after the cutoff date for NYS AWB law.  

This.. Not a PreBan.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#6]
You could basically buy 2 for that
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's pretty much what I figured. I've never heard of a Romanian pre-ban.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
For that price I would get an Arsenal or you can get a Saiga and convert it. There are no WASR that are pre ban.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
That isn't a Preban and it's grossly overpriced. Pass.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Punch whoever is trying to sell that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have never owned an AK so I would like to get some feedback from someone who has. The guy is looking to get $800.00 for everything listed.
( Sellers Description) Its a pre ban AK-47, Romanian made. Its a Romarm Cugir GP/WASR-10/63. From what I can tell its from the 60's but its clean. It has a tapco match grade trigger, all upgraded from original wood to a rail system, wood is included. around 1,300 rounds through it., red dot, 6 mags 700 rounds.

Opinions??

Never thought I'd read "Tapco" and "Match Grade" in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions??

lol, I was going to say something just like that,but i bit my lip.I think the seller is just fishing for a sucker.

OP read the advise given here and dont buy this rifle
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
There are no pre-ban Romanian AKs in the US. Not one. Period. The rifle itself is probably worth $400-$500,

if you really want it. The mags are worth between $35-$70. The ammo is worth around $170. I don't know about the red dot scope.

Personally, I'd pay $550-$600 for the whole package. It's not worth any more than that to me, or anyone who knows anything about AKs in the current market.

ETA: I missed the whole rail system part. The owner is high bucking his AK, but it's not really that out of line with todays market, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are no pre-ban Romanian AKs in the US. Not one. Period. The rifle itself is probably worth $400-$500,

if you really want it. The mags are worth between $35-$70. The ammo is worth around $170. I don't know about the red dot scope.

Personally, I'd pay $550-$600 for the whole package. It's not worth any more than that to me, or anyone who knows anything about AKs in the current market.

ETA: I missed the whole rail system part. The owner is high bucking his AK, but it's not really that out of line with todays market, now that I think about it.

Depending on the specifics of some of what he is offering (rail system, red dot), it's not too far off from $800 for the whole package. The lack of descriptions and specifics leads me to believe they are low-end items, however.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions??

While I wouldn't call the G2 a match grade trigger, it is definitely an improvement over the stock milsurp trigger.  My WASR has one, it's pretty nice, no trigger slap either.
But yeah, OP That is way too much for a Tapco'ed out WASR, although the 700 rnds is a nice bonus.  But, I also see you are in NY state, so I dunno what kind of prices are normal up there....
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Since NY is a ban state, Is a WASR even legal there?
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#17]
AK prices have gotten downright silly lately. There's somebody on a local board trying to sell a WASR for $1000. And another trying to sell one for $1200.

New York legal for $600 new.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends... in reality, that's way too high. In this crazy election year, its $100 less than I just saw one sell for on the EE.. so who knows... but if you wait out the election, either way, I figure the price will come back down. From what I can tell AKs are selling for double their price because many think they will be first to get outlawed in obama 2.0...

PS.. tapco may not be match grade.. but the ak trigger they make is great and cheap. I love the one in my AK, to hell with the critics...
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Depends... in reality, that's way too high. In this crazy election year, its $100 less than I just saw one sell for on the EE.. so who knows... but if you wait out the election, either way, I figure the price will come back down. From what I can tell AKs are selling for double their price because many think they will be first to get outlawed in obama 2.0...

PS.. tapco may not be match grade.. but the ak trigger they make is great and cheap. I love the one in my AK, to hell with the critics...

Triggers / FCG parts are the one thing that Tapco is awesome at. Their trigger retention bar is a nice upgrade from the original spring too. Basically, if it's made out of metal, it's going to be pretty good. If it's made out of plastic and it's a magazine, it might be OK. Otherwise....
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was a little overpriced when I first saw it but being that he's local to me so FTF is possible it's a pre ban AK + magazines + 700 rounds + red dot it made me wonder. He has been kind of flaky in emails with the details of what he's offering and from my reading here about the quality of Romanian made AK's, I started having doubts. He has never mentioned the magazines capacity or who makes the red dot sight, I have asked him to give me a call twice but he hasn't. Just too many red flags adding up to a gut feeling to pass on it and I was second in line to buy it, first guy passed for a reasons unknown to me but it wasn't because it was too good of deal I'm sure.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Since NY is a ban state, Is a WASR even legal there?

Maybe that's why he's advertising it as pre ban so it does not raise a red flag??
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#22]
seriously,  he's trying to screw somebody over.  I have seen wasrs new for 450.00

NEXT PLEASE.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
seriously,  he's trying to screw somebody over.  I have seen wasrs new for 450.00

NEXT PLEASE.

At one point you could buy WASRs for $299 all day long. But those are gone now, or at least gone for now. Prices on guns, ammo, and specifically AK (and even more so 5.45 magazines) are going full retard right now. Unless something politically stupid happens, the prices should come back down in a year or two. Prices were finally starting to get good again after the last election, and now they're on their way to being more stupid than they were before. If you can find something with WASRs in stock for $450 I'd like to know about it. Locally all I can find are $500-600.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
but being that he's local to me so FTF is possible it's a pre ban AK

As said several times above, it is NOT pre-ban.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought it was a little overpriced when I first saw it but being that he's local to me so FTF is possible it's a pre ban AK + magazines + 700 rounds + red dot it made me wonder. He has been kind of flaky in emails with the details of what he's offering and from my reading here about the quality of Romanian made AK's, I started having doubts. He has never mentioned the magazines capacity or who makes the red dot sight, I have asked him to give me a call twice but he hasn't. Just too many red flags adding up to a gut feeling to pass on it and I was second in line to buy it, first guy passed for a reasons unknown to me but it wasn't because it was too good of deal I'm sure.
Thanks to all for the advice.

It is NOT a preban AK.  Not even close.  Romanian imports started long after the assault weapon bans went into place.  WASRs are not a preban by any stretch of the imagination.  The 19060's date you say is on it means that is when the original, select fire AK was made for the Romanian military.  It was then disassembled sometime in the last 10 years and reassembled into a semi auto for export to the US.  This is NOT a preban rifle.

The guy is overhyping it with BS about preban and match grade trigger to make it more appealing to a sucker who doesn't know anything about AKs.  Don't be that sucker.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I get it that it's not pre ban now, I was trying to explain that I thought it was when I first saw the ad (days ago) and thought it might be worth more to me if it was. I have priced AK's and SKS's locally and his asking price is higher than new ones. The seller did contact me an hour ago about meeting tomorrow so I could see it.
New question is, is it worth buying at any price? If so how much? If it's in good condition (legal in NY) with everything he says he has and lets assume it has a cheap red dot and rail what's it worth?
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#27]
No "likely" about it, it's not pre-ban.  Anyway, I would put it in the $650 range with the ammo and mags, if it is in NY legal condition.   As from the link above, it looks like to be NY legal it should not have bayonet lugs or muzzle brake.   Barrel nut will most likely need to be tack welded to the front sight base.

Ahh saw you edit to remove likely.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldnt pay more than $525-550 tops with everything he listed in the ad.
Pay a few hundred more dollars and get a NIB quality rifle.I wouldnt let the extras he has sway my mind on buying it much imo.Its still a used WASR at the end of the day,regardless of the current market due to election/panic buying.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No "likely" about it, it's not pre-ban.  Anyway, I would put it in the $650 range with the ammo and mags, if it is in NY legal condition.   As from the link above, it looks like to be NY legal it should not have bayonet lugs or muzzle brake.   Barrel nut will most likely need to be tack welded to the front sight base.

Ahh saw you edit to remove likely.

Yeah didn't want to make anyone think I was doubting what was said.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Id smack that PRE BAN LIAR
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#31]
The value depends on the rails that it has on it. My opinion, look at the price of a new WASR, subtract around 100 bucks, then price the ammo and magazines back into it.

Custom handguards, rail systems, stocks and whatever else are worth absolutely nothing on a used rifle. It's like buying a used car with an aftermarket stereo or rims.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#32]
It's worth $550 tops. Mags and ammo will raise the value, but bullshit accessories have no effect
On the value of any rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#33]
pre ban lol
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I've spent the last 2 days reading everything I could, here and elsewhere, about AK's and either the seller is confused about what he has or is totally full of shit. Either way I'm going to meet him and take a look at his gun later today. Full report here tonight.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm willing to bet the rail system is a UTG and the red dot is one of those soda can looking NcStar units.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pay a few hundred more dollars and get a NIB quality rifle.I wouldnt let the extras he has sway my mind on buying it much imo.Its still a used WASR at the end of the day,regardless of the current market due to election/panic buying.

where are yu coming up with your pricing? magic-2002 land?
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's worth $550 tops. Mags and ammo will raise the value, but bullshit accessories have no effect

huh? these are 550 new everywhere i see.  without almost 200 in ammo
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

where are yu coming up with your pricing? magic-2002 land?

I just bought a used WASR for $350 locally with 2 mags.Yes $350 cash.A used WASR is not worth more than $400-425 add some money to that for the 6 used mags,the rail system,and the ammo.
Like said above the extras dont make the rifle worth anymore than it is worth used.The extras are a bargaining tool that is all they are for the seller to make his rifle appear to be a good deal.After you shoot up the ammo and get rid of the crap you dont use is the rifle still worth what you paid for it? I think not.
If you pay more than $400-425 for a used WASR and more than $500 for a new one (for a nice one, if a nice one exists)more power to you but your getting hosed.They arent worth that kind of money,ever.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did say that mags and ammo would raise the value.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can someone please explain what in the fuck the election has to do with anything?? I bought 7 ak's in 7 months not because theres a new crooked fucker being elected a year away i bought them because after 5 years of hard work i got my career and can afford it. Someone give me something other than "its an election year" its not like this prez is going to ban guns ammo or the importing of shit over night. Im just fed up with hearing this dumb shit. An
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#41]
You guys are forgetting that he is in New York.  A ban state, so any AK will cost more there since they are much less available.  The new NY legal WASR from Atlantic is $600 compared to ~$450 for a standard WASR.  $650 for rifle, ammo and mags would be a fair price.  Rail has no real value.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can someone please explain what in the fuck the election has to do with anything?? I bought 7 ak's in 7 months not because theres a new crooked fucker being elected a year away i bought them because after 5 years of hard work i got my career and can afford it. Someone give me something other than "its an election year" its not like this prez is going to ban guns ammo or the importing of shit over night. Im just fed up with hearing this dumb shit. An

Most of it is supply and demand due to panic purchasing.

I don't know how old you are but, I clearly remember 93'-94'. I was the one warning my friends about coming gun bans and I got the same attitude from them as you have now. Unfortunately I was right. Yah, we got a huge second chance with the sunset clause but don't think for one minute that they wont do something much worse if the big "O" gets a second term.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of it is supply and demand due to panic purchasing.

I don't know how old you are but, I clearly remember 93'-94'. I was the one warning my friends about coming gun bans and I got the same attitude from them as you have now. Unfortunately I was right. Yah, we got a huge second chance with the sunset clause but don't think for one minute that they wont do something much worse if the big "O" gets a second term.

I don't like feeding the panic buying, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if something is passed if Obama gets a second term. It seems like the UN and other nations are starting to comply with the idea that taking firearms away from citizens is a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm really looking forward to the OP's update.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this isn't a new rifle.  The ammo is worth about 150, mags about 60.  If he pays more than $600 for the whole package he is crazy.

The selling price of a "package deal" like this on the private market never adds up to the retail value of all the stuff it comes with.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#46]
The guy never called (again) so I'm done with this, I did want to check out this gun and see what it was in person but this guy is acting shady and not doing what he's supposed to do when he says he's going to do it so I'm walking. I learned alot about AK's in the last couple of days and I think I'm going to shop around and continue reading up before getting what I want.
Thanks again for all the input but I will remain a AK virgin for a little while longer.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top