BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2012 12:19:45 PM EDT
I just picked up one of the M10-545 rifles, since I was lacking a Romanian 5.45 rifle in my ever-growing 5.45 collection.  To my pleasant surprise, upon initial observation this rifle is a little nicer than I expected.  I won’t get a chance to shoot it until the middle of March, but here are my initial observations:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

1.  Overall fit and finish is a little nicer than I expected.  There are “Gen I” and “Gen II” M10’s out there.  The Gen I’s that Centerfire has (had?) are reportedly not quite as nice.  The story is that the first batch didn’t quite meet M+M’s expectations, so they sold those off to a couple retailers while going back to the factory and requesting that the next batch (Gen II) be of better quality.  I bought the pictured rifle from Atlantic, and it is a Gen II.  Think of this rifle as a nicer than average 5.45 WASR.  Because that’s essentially what it is.

2.  I don’t see any of the problems sometimes associated with WASR’s.  No site cant, no mag wobble, etc.  Various magazines fit exactly as they should.

3.  I’m not generally a fan of rails on AK’s, but this one is nicely done.  Solid and well-machined.  A Primary Arms red dot will be perfect for this.

4.  Love the Hogue grip.  It provides a substantially better feel to the rifle than the standard AK grip.

5.  Love the hooded front site.  I won’t know how much of an improvement it provides, if any, until I can shoot this rifle.  But it provides a nice site picture when shouldering the rifle.  I’ll have to see if the shorter site radius creates any real problems when I take it out shooting.  Just shouldering the rifle, the site picture doesn’t look any different than on my regular WASR.

6.  The flash hider isn’t as large and obnoxious looking as the pictures may make it seem.  For some reason it looks larger in the pictures than it really is.  I’ll have to see how it functions, but I like the looks of it.

7.  This rifle comes with cheap (but OK looking) rail covers.  These widen the front grip, and reminded me of holding an M16A2.  You’ll have to decide if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.  I like it.

8.  This rifle has a side scope rail.  I think all WASR’s do, but I’m not certain.

9.  Not related to the rifle, but it goes without saying that Atlantic Firearms is top-notch to deal with.  You can buy from them with confidence.

Neutral Observations:

1.  No dimples, which I don’t care about.

2.  While this rifle has nice fit and finish (both are better than what you’ll find with a standard WASR), it’s still a WASR.  It has a few scratches here and there, and it has normal WASR grittiness in the action and trigger.  This grittiness is not an actual problem.  It’s just a reminder that you have a WASR.

3.  You could conceivably SBR this rifle and have a “poor man’s AK-105”.  I would pick a nicer donor rifle myself if I was going to go through the time, trouble and expense to make a SBR 105.  Still, it would be an option with this rifle.

Dislikes:

1.  The well-made rail is a double-edged sword.  This rifle is noticeably front heavy.  That may help with accuracy perhaps.  But I’m curious to see if this rifle becomes uncomfortably front heavy after shooting it for an hour or so.  Since it does have a rail, I suppose a front grip is an option if it turns out to be too front heavy upon extended shooting.

2.  As advertised, the rifle came with a Promag.  A superior Tapco mag would have cost, like, $3 more.  M+M should have gone that route.  Oh well.  I’ll see how the Promag works.

3.  This rifle has a crappy Tapco stock.  While it’s not as atrocious looking as the Tapco stock Century was using on its Bulgarian 74’s, this stock just screams “cheap”.  I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it doesn’t feel good either.  Fortunately I was planning on changing the stock anyway.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

For someone wanting the cheapest possible 5.45 rifle that has a CHF Commie barrel, and who doesn’t want to bother with a partial Saiga conversion, this is a nice set-up.  Properly equipped, and assuming it works fine, I could even see this rifle as a legit “go to” 5.45 rifle for someone on a tight budget.  Again, it’s essentially just a gussied-up WASR, but with slightly better overall fit and finish than is typical with WASR’s.

My biggest worry when ordering this (aside from how it would function), was that I’d pick up this rifle and it would turn out to be a cheesy-looking tacticool’d WASR that I’d regret buying.  But seeing it in-person, it doesn’t look “off” at all.  At least, it’s not too unbearable.  I still prefer traditional looking AK’s, but I wanted a new Romanian 5.45, and this fit the bill.  I like it.  

And since a review is mostly worthless without shooting results, I’ll update this thread when I can run the rifle through its paces.  Just wanted to put this preliminary review out there now, 'cause I know some of you have been looking at these.      

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
These rifles really interest me
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be one to cut that barrel down myself, but as you said, it may not be the "best" option for that. I really like dimples, but that being said they are not necessary, and the price point on these is decent. Sell all the craptastic furniture and it will be even better. I need this and a full size Romy 5.45...

ETA: I like the fact that the plunger is already drilled for these, would be nicer yet if the plunger and spring were included...can't have everything.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I will be one to cut that barrel down myself, but as you said, it may not be the "best" option for that. I really like dimples, but that being said they are not necessary, and the price point on these is decent. Sell all the craptastic furniture and it will be even better. I need this and a full size Romy 5.45...

ETA: I like the fact that the plunger is already drilled for these, would be nicer yet if the plunger and spring were included...can't have everything.

That's something worth mentioning.  If you already have other, more suitable options available, you could sell the Tapco stock, Hogue grip and rail and have a nice looking 5.45 WASR for about $450+/-.  Which in today's market would be a decent deal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Any idea if Atlantic still has them in stock?  I've been on the fence about a 5.45 but this looks like it sure beats a Century Tantal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the FCG in it? Is it a G2? If you want to pay shipping to and from me I'll hone/polish it for you and see how much better you like it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's the FCG in it? Is it a G2? If you want to pay shipping to and from me I'll hone/polish it for you and see how much better you like it.

Yup, it's a G2.  I like the G2's, and sometimes they loosen-up a bit with use.

Thanks for the offer.  Much appreciated.  I'm going to hone/polish it myself this spring...along with two other rifles that need it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, it's a G2.  I like the G2's, and sometimes they loosen-up a bit with use.

Thanks for the offer.  Much appreciated.  I'm going to hone/polish it myself this spring...along with two other rifles that need it.

I've done it to 4 G2s, my 10/22 and a Marlin 70 and even with the stock triggers and G2s it's amazing how much you can improve them.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any idea if Atlantic still has them in stock?  I've been on the fence about a 5.45 but this looks like it sure beats a Century Tantal.

I believe they do.  Atlantic just got these in a few weeks ago I think.

Yeah, I would buy one of these over a Century Tantal.  Although if you can find a Tantal with its original barrel, those are sweet rifles.  But, Tantals w/original barrels will also set you back about $800 right now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2.  I don’t see any of the problems sometimes associated with WASR’s.  No site cant, no mag wobble, etc.  Various magazines fit exactly as they should.

Polymer Bulgarian (black and brown circle 10's and 21's) and Izhmash 10 round polymer magazines don't quite fit in my 5.45 M10.  The center support rivet/tube at the back of the magwell is too far forward, the top of the mag feed lips run into it and this prevents them from seating.

I've been able to force most in and out with a sharp smack on the end of the mag with the rifle upside down, the center support is scraping the heck out of the back of the feedlips and several mags have improved to the point where they can be wrenched in and out by hand with difficulty, but without violence.  The thin plastic cladding and a wee bit of the feed lip reinforcement metal had to go before this would happen.  

The mag latch is perfect and the supplied Promag fits and functions fine.  The Bulgarians and the Izhmash all fit my SGL-31 with plenty of room to spare, smooth as butter, I don't know what spec is but there's something like 1/16" clearance between the feedlips and center support when changing mags in the Arsenal.  I got a hold of Atlantic last week, they said they had tested the rifles with many types of mags without problem and have asked the importer to contact me, I am waiting to hear back from the importer.  

I think I'll request an exchange- the mags will fit with some modification, but that's some modification times 34 mags, damaging mags that are a lot more scarce and expensive then they used to be.  To get that 1/16" or so of clearance that I see in my SGL-31 would require filing away most of the metal connecting the spine of the magazine to the feedlips, promoting feed lip creep.  I could hand fit them without tearing up the mags too bad, but there would be zero clearance and a little errant schmutz (or any unmodified surplus mag) could jam the mag in place, not a feature I like to see in my AK's.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MAL , we spoke with the importer late today and also left you a voice mail message .

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Mal, sorry to hear that.

After reading your post, I went back and put more mags in my rifle.  Didn't have any issues, and in particular the steel Polish mags had the most play in them.  If you have access to any of those, you may find they're a little less snug.

In any regard, it sounds like Atlantic will take care of you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#14]
That's what I was REALLY curious about was the fit & function of surplus AK74 magazines, one of the worst problems of the Wasr-2s.

Overall, these sound like good guns, I love my 7.62 model.  Serial number 18   A first gen, but absolutely zero problems with it.  

That said...when I get a 5.45 it'll be a true AK74 style
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

3.  I’m not generally a fan of rails on AK’s, but this one is nicely done.  Solid and well-machined.  A Primary Arms red dot will be perfect for this.

4.  Love the Hogue grip.  It provides a substantially better feel to the rifle than the standard AK grip.

6.  The flash hider isn’t as large and obnoxious looking as the pictures may make it seem.  For some reason it looks larger in the pictures than it really is.  I’ll have to see how it functions, but I like the looks of it.

9.  Not related to the rifle, but it goes without saying that Atlantic Firearms is top-notch to deal with.  You can buy from them with confidence.

Dislikes:

2.  As advertised, the rifle came with a Promag.  A superior Tapco mag would have cost, like, $3 more.  M+M should have gone that route.  Oh well.  I’ll see how the Promag works.

3.  This rifle has a crappy Tapco stock.  While it’s not as atrocious looking as the Tapco stock Century was using on its Bulgarian 74’s, this stock just screams “cheap”.  I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it doesn’t feel good either.  Fortunately I was planning on changing the stock anyway.

Good review!  FWIW, first part of a review at my place: http://ak47talk.blogspot.com/2012/02/m10-545-review-part-1-first-impressions.html
My replies/observations with your points
2. Unfortunately I have front sight cant.  Usually I don't care as long as it shoots POA with the sights or I fix the cant.  But on this it is also the gas block so there is a chance it might be closing off part of the gas port due to the cant.  I don't expect it to, but I won't know until I shoot it tomorrow.  I will probably fix the cant anyway long term but a heads up for the new AK guys (fixing cant isn't too hard anyway and opens up your AK deals if you are willing to do a little DIY).

3.  Honestly I'm pretty interested in it too.  It is basically a copy of the UTG handguard with a couple small changes.  Like most items in the lower price range you get a lot of love or hate for a product at that level.  However, I'm glad this will get me out of my snobbery and give it a chance.   The downside is that mine was missing two screws but Colorado Guns Sales said they would send them out to me.  I'm hoping they come in the mail today.

4.  Agree the Hogue grip ROCKS!  I like the US Palm one too and it has some advantages over the Hogue, but I think the Hogue is the most comfortable AK grip out there right now.

6.  The new ones are shorter than the GenI M10-762 which were Tapco Razr brakes, these are sourced by M+M/Colorado Guns specifically.  Does your screw off easily (remeber left hand threads)?  Mine and another reader's seems to be attached with solder but Colorado Guns claims that it isn't.

9. Definitely, Atlantic is excellent!

Dislikes:
2. While I'm going to give it a chance too, I agree that even the Tapco would have been a better choice. BUT, like Mal_means_bad, I am having some maganize issues and the Tapco is just bought to compares specficially to the ProMag won't lock.  More on that in my reply to Mal.  But in my opinion it is a good thing they didn't cheap out and not put in the G2 FCG even with the parts count of the ProMag because it widens your 922r horizons and the G2 can be a good trigger.

3.  My Century Bulgarian had the exact same Tapco stock on it.  But I did see most people got the one that doesn't match the traditional AK lines like this one does and looks a little longer (and uglier) But I assumed that was some kind of Century crappy furniture and not Tapco, because say what you want about Tapco their stuff is still better than Century's plastic stuff.  

Quoted:
StephenNW , thanks for the great & honest review !! While not 100% perfect the M10 rifles offer a nice additional option in the AK 47 & AK 74 market .
Agree completely, you guys are offering a better equipped basic AK that for most people should prove a better option than other ones like Century WASRs!

Quoted:
Polymer Bulgarian (black and brown circle 10's and 21's) and Izhmash 10 round polymer magazines don't quite fit in my 5.45 M10.  The center support rivet/tube at the back of the magwell is too far forward, the top of the mag feed lips run into it and this prevents them from seating.

I've been able to force most in and out with a sharp smack on the end of the mag with the rifle upside down, the center support is scraping the heck out of the back of the feedlips and several mags have improved to the point where they can be wrenched in and out by hand with difficulty, but without violence.  The thin plastic cladding and a wee bit of the feed lip reinforcement metal had to go before this would happen.  

Most of my magazines fit fine but after seeing your post, I went back through my magazines which are mostly "Bulgarian" ones that might actually be sanitized Russian.  They are the ones that had a layer of black paint but after that was removed most are plum with definite grind marks where the identification markings would be. These fit fine, as does my Bulgarian Circle 10 black surplus (not waffle) did, albeit tight at first.  My single Circle 21 surplus and my new Tapco mag do not fit.  This was only quick check last night and didn't get a chance to really see for sure where the contact was coming from that much,  but the scratches were in the back and on the sides of the magazines. I'll look at it more deeply today or tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Your mention of a poor man's AK-105 made me fire up photoshop.

I like it!

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your mention of a poor man's AK-105 made me fire up photoshop.

I like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/MolonLabe/M10sbred.jpg

LOL!  Nice!!!

Now that I see what it would look like, nictra may have been onto something with his comment above!  I like it!  A $200 tax stamp, a few months wait and a little work, and you could have a decent, inexpensive 5.45 SBR.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Matt, the RAZR brake on my M10-545 is also permanently affixed.  I'm not sure why M+M would say it's threaded on, because that clearly isn't the case.  At least, if it is threaded on, they also soldered it for good measure.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Matt, the RAZR brake on my M10-545 is also permanently affixed.  I'm not sure why M+M would say it's threaded on, because that clearly isn't the case.  At least, if it is threaded on, they also soldered it for good measure.

Yep, I would agree now that it seems to be soldered on, I'll be calling them about that and a few other things tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Colorado Guns again claims there is no solder, just torqued down really hard since there is no plunger pin.  I was able to get the hider off my newly arrvied M10-22, but still no luck with the M10-545.  I need a better screwdriver to put through the ports to wrench it off (this is what M+M does).  BTW, my range report is up at my blog.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Colorado Guns again claims there is no solder, just torqued down really hard since there is no plunger pin.  I was able to get the hider off my newly arrvied M10-22, but still no luck with the M10-545.  I need a better screwdriver to put through the ports to wrench it off (this is what M+M does).  BTW, my range report is up at my blog.

Good concise review.  Cool blog!
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good concise review.  Cool blog!

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I know at leas tone of you know because you got a 7.62 one, but just thought I'd mention:  The threads are LEFT-HAND on these rifles.

Had to mention it as my first AK I didn't realize that until I looked it up
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I just got home from the gun show and picked one of these up in 7.62 and although I have not been to the range yet I am really stoked about this rifle so far. My expectations were not very high as I was looking to buy on a budget my first AK and I feel like I got a lot more for my money with this M10 than any other AK out there right now. Not sure I like the FH/brake on it as it looks strange on that thin barrel, but after I threw my red dot on there I can see me having a lot of fun with this gun.

I did not notice any gas block tilt on mine so I guess I am GTG there, but the sight radius is pretty short, which I expected, but since I had planned on a red dot anyway it's not an issue for me. If the guy had a 5.45 I might have gotten that one, but I figured my first AK should be a traditional 7.62x39. Anyway, the shop owner says he has already sold a lot of these M10 rifles and can't keep them in stock. He gets very few complaints with them and he personally likes the 5.45 version best.

Oh almost forgot. I to had some magazine wiggle with the included Pro Mag, but the Tapco mag was a nice tight fit with no wiggle and felt like it was better made. A tapco mag instead of the Pro Mag would have been nice, but luckily the tapco mags are cheap.

Pics for the thread.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Nice thread!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just got home from the gun show and picked one of these up in 7.62 and although I have not been to the range yet I am really stoked about this rifle so far. My expectations were not very high as I was looking to buy on a budget my first AK and I feel like I got a lot more for my money with this M10 than any other AK out there right now. Not sure I like the FH/brake on it as it looks strange on that thin barrel, but after I threw my red dot on there I can see me having a lot of fun with this gun.

I did not notice any gas block tilt on mine so I guess I am GTG there, but the sight radius is pretty short, which I expected, but since I had planned on a red dot anyway it's not an issue for me. If the guy had a 5.45 I might have gotten that one, but I figured my first AK should be a traditional 7.62x39. Anyway, the shop owner says he has already sold a lot of these M10 rifles and can't keep them in stock. He gets very few complaints with them and he personally likes the 5.45 version best.

Oh almost forgot. I to had some magazine wiggle with the included Pro Mag, but the Tapco mag was a nice tight fit with no wiggle and felt like it was better made. A tapco mag instead of the Pro Mag would have been nice, but luckily the tapco mags are cheap.

Pics for the thread.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/Seawolf_504/2012-03-10_17-39-19_72.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/Seawolf_504/2012-03-10_17-38-36_506.jpg

Good looking rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics for the thread.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/Seawolf_504/2012-03-10_17-39-19_72.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/Seawolf_504/2012-03-10_17-38-36_506.jpg

Good looking rifle.  

Thanks. For the money it comes with a lot of stuff

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just got home from the gun show and picked one of these up in 7.62 and although I have not been to the range yet I am really stoked about this rifle so far. My expectations were not very high as I was looking to buy on a budget my first AK and I feel like I got a lot more for my money with this M10 than any other AK out there right now.
Exactly, as a budget AK I think the features makes this a great option, even for those that don't like the railed handguard.  M+M has said they are going to release a version with Houge handguards soon too.  
Although, like most AKs at this level there is still going to be some issues like Mal_means_bad's magazine issue, my canted front sight, and here is a report of what seems to be a bad mag latch: http://ak47talk.blogspot.com/2012/03/tale-of-lemon-m10-545.html  
Note how well Atlantic is taking care of this guy!
Unfortunately, this is something that plagues the AK market. Even Saigas and Arsenals can have issues. I've just came to expect either some personal WECSOG or even a shop like Rifle Dynamics if you want your AK to be 100% issue free.  Normally though these issues are personal preferences to smooth it out and not functional, if you get an AK that runs, it RUNS.

Not sure I like the FH/brake on it as it looks strange on that thin barrel, but after I threw my red dot on there I can see me having a lot of fun with this gun.
Honestly the flash hider keeps growing on me, better than the original Tapco's looks and was pretty effective during the day at least when compared to a Bulgy 74 brake.  A lot of other 14x1 flash hiders are going to look even weirder since the go straight out to their O.D., this one has some taper from the the threaded end to the rest.  About the only hiders/brakes I think will be about the same OD as the barrel with be ones that work with bayonets like the Type 84, AIMR, and slant brake.

I agree that there is something about 7.62x39 for the first AK owner.  More part, mags and ammo availability make it easier to get into the AK world.  I believe Sonny Puzikas has been quoted as saying something like your first two AKs should be 7.62x39 and then you should get into 5.45x39.  Good to hear your seller isn't having many complaints.

Yes Promag<Tapco and I don't know why they didn't since they have a Tapco stock, FCG, FCG plate, and used to be muzzle device.  Maybe they got a good deal on the ProMags.  However with just one, it's not like you aren't going to upgrade quickly anyway. Lots of people do just fine with Tapco but FWIWIMO for 7.62x39 Tapco<ComBloc Metal<Circle Ten/US Palm.  I'm a believer in a little side to side movement is a good thing.  Most AKs with receiver dimples will still have some depending on the magazine.  As long as you have no or very little front to back wobble you are good.

Speaking of wobble, does anybody's gas piston wobble?  Mine doesn't and again it was a design feature that Kalashnikov built in so the piston would self center.  Apparently most Saigas' pistons these days don't wobble and AKs can survive with out it, but just curious.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got home from the gun show and picked one of these up in 7.62 and although I have not been to the range yet I am really stoked about this rifle so far. My expectations were not very high as I was looking to buy on a budget my first AK and I feel like I got a lot more for my money with this M10 than any other AK out there right now.
Exactly, as a budget AK I think the features makes this a great option, even for those that don't like the railed handguard.  M+M has said they are going to release a version with Houge handguards soon too.  
Although, like most AKs at this level there is still going to be some issues like Mal_means_bad's magazine issue, my canted front sight, and here is a report of what seems to be a bad mag latch: http://ak47talk.blogspot.com/2012/03/tale-of-lemon-m10-545.html  
Note how well Atlantic is taking care of this guy!
Unfortunately, this is something that plagues the AK market. Even Saigas and Arsenals can have issues. I've just came to expect either some personal WECSOG or even a shop like Rifle Dynamics if you want your AK to be 100% issue free.  Normally though these issues are personal preferences to smooth it out and not functional, if you get an AK that runs, it RUNS.

Not sure I like the FH/brake on it as it looks strange on that thin barrel, but after I threw my red dot on there I can see me having a lot of fun with this gun.
Honestly the flash hider keeps growing on me, better than the original Tapco's looks and was pretty effective during the day at least when compared to a Bulgy 74 brake.  A lot of other 14x1 flash hiders are going to look even weirder since the go straight out to their O.D., this one has some taper from the the threaded end to the rest.  About the only hiders/brakes I think will be about the same OD as the barrel with be ones that work with bayonets like the Type 84, AIMR, and slant brake.

I agree that there is something about 7.62x39 for the first AK owner.  More part, mags and ammo availability make it easier to get into the AK world.  I believe Sonny Puzikas has been quoted as saying something like your first two AKs should be 7.62x39 and then you should get into 5.45x39.  Good to hear your seller isn't having many complaints.

Yes Promag<Tapco and I don't know why they didn't since they have a Tapco stock, FCG, FCG plate, and used to be muzzle device.  Maybe they got a good deal on the ProMags.  However with just one, it's not like you aren't going to upgrade quickly anyway. Lots of people do just fine with Tapco but FWIWIMO for 7.62x39 Tapco<ComBloc Metal<Circle Ten/US Palm.  I'm a believer in a little side to side movement is a good thing.  Most AKs with receiver dimples will still have some depending on the magazine.  As long as you have no or very little front to back wobble you are good.

Speaking of wobble, does anybody's gas piston wobble?  Mine doesn't and again it was a design feature that Kalashnikov built in so the piston would self center.  Apparently most Saigas' pistons these days don't wobble and AKs can survive with out it, but just curious.

No front to back wobble on the pro mag just side to side and it's not enough to cause me concern. The brake is growing on me too the more I look at it. My Wife even commented when I brought it home that she thought it looked "Sick" lol. If there is any cant to my gas block I can't for the life of me see it and if you stand there and look at something long enough you are eventually going to talk yourself into thinking there is so I try not to look at it.lol If it will zero at 50 and 100 yards then I'm good to go with it. I do not notice any real piston movement and everything seems to function and lign up great. Then again I am more and AR guy with my first AK so I have a lot to learn yet.

I am finding the stock to be a little small for me though. I do like it and it feels solid, but it almost feels like it belongs on a childs BB gun. I was thinking about a AR style collapsable stock, but I think I like the traditional look on the AK more. Any options for a little bigger fixed stock out there that won't break the bank?

Some M10 stuff I found on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwVjl9-zpz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_pRIV6ugU&feature=related (light primer strikes on the two rounds that didn't go, said it was crap ammo he had as well otherwise he said he ran 800 rounds through it first time out flawlessly)

Oh almost forgot. Another pleasent surprise was the Tapco G2 trigger. This trigger is amazing!

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am finding the stock to be a little small for me though. I do like it and it feels solid, but it almost feels like it belongs on a childs BB gun. I was thinking about a AR style collapsable stock, but I think I like the traditional look on the AK more. Any options for a little bigger fixed stock out there that won't break the bank?

You probably want something like a NATO length buttstock. It should be about 1.25 inches longer than your Warsaw Pact stock. You can probably look around on the EE or whatever and find a used one for cheaper, though the tang screw holes may not line up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mag latch is perfect and the supplied Promag fits and functions fine.  The Bulgarians and the Izhmash all fit my SGL-31 with plenty of room to spare, smooth as butter, I don't know what spec is but there's something like 1/16" clearance between the feedlips and center support when changing mags in the Arsenal.  I got a hold of Atlantic last week, they said they had tested the rifles with many types of mags without problem and have asked the importer to contact me, I am waiting to hear back from the importer.  

I think I'll request an exchange- the mags will fit with some modification, but that's some modification times 34 mags, damaging mags that are a lot more scarce and expensive then they used to be.  To get that 1/16" or so of clearance that I see in my SGL-31 would require filing away most of the metal connecting the spine of the magazine to the feedlips, promoting feed lip creep.  I could hand fit them without tearing up the mags too bad, but there would be zero clearance and a little errant schmutz (or any unmodified surplus mag) could jam the mag in place, not a feature I like to see in my AK's.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/somebodys/m10014-1.jpg

I dug my 74 out of the safe to double check, and the front of the center support is supposed to be milled back and flat. I can't tell from the picture if it is at all. If they'll fix it, kind of a moot point I guess..
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally got out to shoot tonight. I Love this Rifle! Got zeroed in at 50 yards with a half turn on the rear notch and it was a tac driver from that point on. So much fun to shoot and ran flawlessly. I defiantly like the Tapco mag over the Pro mag, but they both worked fine. Ran about 400 rounds though it and not a single issue. I was shocked at how accurate this rifle was especially once I got the red dot zeroed in. I really want one in 5.45 now. No buyer's remorse here, I love this thing!

Just for fun my first weak attempt at a bump fire. lol had the front of the gun smoking and it was awesome.

My bumpfire is weak
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#33]
The issue I see with these its the 1:10 twist.  The last time we had a ak-74 with the wrong twist rate there were keyholing issues.  I noticed the rpk site,  are these rpk barrels cut down?   Also would be concerned with shortening the barrel with this twist rate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The issue I see with these its the 1:10 twist.  The last time we had a ak-74 with the wrong twist rate there were keyholing issues.  I noticed the rpk site,  are these rpk barrels cut down?   Also would be concerned with shortening the barrel with this twist rate.

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that the posted descriptions for these rifles - claiming a 1:10 twist rate - is not accurate.  These are Romanian factory barrels, and the gun is essentially a modified WASR-2.  If that's the case, the twist rate is 1:195mm, or 1:7.68 inches (1:8).

You'll notice the description for the M+M 7.62 rifles, which came out first, describes a 1:10 twist.  I'd almost bet money they just got lazy (or didn't know) and used the same description for each rifle, which is why you see a 1:10 twist rate listed for both the 5.45 and 7.62 versions.

The barrel on the 5.45 version is quite thin...definitely not from an RPK.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that the posted descriptions for these rifles - claiming a 1:10 twist rate - is not accurate.  These are Romanian factory barrels, and the gun is essentially a modified WASR-2.  If that's the case, the twist rate is 1:195mm, or 1:7.68 inches (1:8).

You'll notice the description for the M+M 7.62 rifles, which came out first, describes a 1:10 twist.  I'd almost bet money they just got lazy (or didn't know) and used the same description for each rifle, which is why you see a 1:10 twist rate listed for both the 5.45 and 7.62 versions.

The barrel on the 5.45 version is quite thin...definitely not from an RPK.

The barrel on my 7.62 version is pretty thin as well, I wouldn't say pencil barrel thin, but definitely a light profile.  I had the same experience as the poster above, the rifle is very accurate, mine as well only needed a half click on the rear sight to be perfectly zeroed, ran flawlessly with inexpensive Silver Bear fmj. All in all an awesome deal for 500 and change.

I definitely agree about the stock though, can't stand it, too short and flimsy really, ordered a Vltor tube and going to put probably a CTR on that. The mag that came with mine is a Promag, don't like it much either, little too wiggly and already looks a little chewed up from one range session, I bought some cheap surplus steel mags from AIM and they fit fine.  I posted a quickie review and pics in the romak thread section:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_79/142111_M_M_Inc_ak74.html

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romanians are made for steel magazines. You have to dremel the bottom edge of the center support rivet in order for polymer magazines to clear. I've done this with several of my Romanian 74 variants. Just take a little off, then check again. If you want me to get pics I can.

7n6
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the review.  I had a few questions for anyone who has this.

1- Do Tapco magazines fit and function in the 5.45 version?
2- Can I replace the railed handguards with normal ak74 furniture?
3- Is the railed handguard good enough to mount a red dot on and not have a wandering zero?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#38]
how much did these rifle run $$$ wise?  I've used a Tapco stock on one saiga conversion and didn't mind it other than no cleaning kit opening, not like i actually ever use the AK cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romanians are made for steel magazines. You have to dremel the bottom edge of the center support rivet in order for polymer magazines to clear. I've done this with several of my Romanian 74 variants. Just take a little off, then check again. If you want me to get pics I can.

7n6

Not always.
My SAR-2 locks up poly bulg and EG mags perfectly, but steel Romanian and steel Polish tantal mags are loose.
The polish tantal mags are really loose, the sides are +.10" thinner than bulg poly.

MAL, if you decide to grind a little off the center support for clearance, tack weld the CP inside to the receiver first.
It's a 2-piece part and can spin on you if you don't.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
how much did these rifle run $$$ wise?  I've used a Tapco stock on one saiga conversion and didn't mind it other than no cleaning kit opening, not like i actually ever use the AK cleaning kit.

Mine was 499.99 +shipping and ffl transfer.

The front screwhole area on my stock actually broke off as I was removing the stock, cracked right across the middle of the hole itself, not cool. I gorilla-glued it back on, could probably re-inforce the sides with a bit of metal-strapping and then epoxy the whole thing and it would be stronger than it was to start with (hint hint Tapco, embedding a little metal here and there makes things stronger and less prone to break. ). I doubt i'll keep it or try to use it though, probably sell it cheap on the EE.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#41]
If these rifle had dimples for the more traditional look, I would be on it like nobody's business
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review.  I had a few questions for anyone who has this.

1- Do Tapco magazines fit and function in the 5.45 version?
2- Can I replace the railed handguards with normal ak74 furniture?
3- Is the railed handguard good enough to mount a red dot on and not have a wandering zero?

1.  My Tapco mag was tight, but it fit.  My Bulgarian and Russian surplus fit a little better (but were snug).  The Polish steel mags fit best.
2.  Yes.
3.  Yes, the rail is pretty sturdy.  Shouldn't have any issues.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If these rifle had dimples for the more traditional look, I would be on it like nobody's business

Yeah well nobody gives a sh*t about dimples when you are punching 2 in groups at 100yards.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My SAR-2 locks up poly bulg and EG mags perfectly, but steel Romanian and steel Polish tantal mags are loose.
The polish tantal mags are really loose, the sides are +.10" thinner than bulg poly.

MAL, if you decide to grind a little off the center support for clearance, tack weld the CP inside to the receiver first.

You don't need to tack weld anything. You simply dremel the edge of the center support until the ears clear it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#45]
does m+m inc have a website I cant find anything through google search
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I think M&M is just a branch of coloradogunsales.

http://www.cogunsales.com
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need to tack weld anything. You simply dremel the edge of the center support until the ears clear it.

The center support can spin since it's a 2-piece unit.
It depends on how much compression it's under and how much you are cutting out.

Look inside an NDS-556 receiver, it's hogged out enough that Harlen has it spot welded on both sides before milling.
It's a fair warning since I can't see how much his CS needs to be clearanced.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#48]
the fact that they raised the price of these rifles and didn't even bother to send a decent mag with it kind of irritates me. i also don't like the shortened sight radius,gas setup and not having a detent for a brake. an interarms would be a better buy imho,these are just dressed up WASRs with a draco gas setup,not worth the increased price imho
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned about half dozen Romy 74's. You have to modify the bottom edge of the cross rivet with a half inch round ball on a slow speed dremel. You will notice as in your photo that the back edge corners of the bullet retainers catch the cross rivet. If you simply dremel maybe 1/16th off that bottom edge where it contacts, very slowly so that it is very even- they will work fine. Romanians are designed for steel magazines, not bakelite but once you modify the cross rivet- they all work. I use everything from Russian plums to Bulgarian circle 10's in mine- all work fine. They also still work with the steel magazines. When I'm done with the dremel area, I smooth everything out and touch it up with cold blue.

7n6
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#50]
anyone know how to tell the difference between a gen1 and a gen2?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top