Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2012 8:35:35 PM EDT
Legion AK

Weigh in guys. I personally think so much open space is a no-no. The furniture doesn't do it for me either, and I'm pretty positive it's not going to be a non-reciprocating charging handle.

ETA: Fixed the link!
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No go for me. If I were to go to a left handed charging system it would the one from Davis Tactical Solutions.  And only if the left hand charging top cover still accepts original L1A1 or FAL charging handles.  Like they did years ago.  And yes I see why they went to a shortened in house manufactured charging handle.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
you know, if you're going to take the time to rivet a new trigger guard on the rifle, you might as well weld up the holes too. Especially for $1,250!!!!

ETA:

I went back and looked at it again. If you're going to remove the GB to put a HG retainer on (which I couldn't really see well enough to tell if it's a bolt on or not) you might as well replace it with a lugged one to make it more "correct". I just see these simple things as lazy IMO and this type of "lazy" conversion is almost always a throw off for me, even more so at that ungodly price! This rifle to me is worth about $700, and that takes into account the ACE stock and folding mech.

I say no. You want to spend that much $ send it to me and I'll do it for $400 less.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
For me that thing would be a complete disaster.

I posted these pix on another thread but this sort of thing is what I deal with all the time.

Second, I am left-handed, and I like the left-hand controls on an AK.  Left hand stays put and safety and op rod are functioned with the right hand.  Just like the Remington 8 and 81.   ;)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/Skaapskieter/aAKMountb.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e115/Skaapskieter/aAKMountc.jpg

Link to other thread;

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Legion AK

Weigh in guys. I personally think so much open space is a no-no. The furniture doesn't do it for me either, and I'm pretty positive it's not going to be a non-reciprocating charging handle.

The handle is attached to the carrier, so it'll definitely be reciprocating. I agree with nictra on this, completely half-assed build not worth anywhere near $1,200.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Reciprocating left-handed charging handle in that location is a definite no go for me. I like the idea of a left-hand charging handle, but have not yet seen a single design that I am "sold" on. DTS design is pretty neat starting point though.

Davis Tactical
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legion AK

The handle is attached to the carrier, so it'll definitely be reciprocating. I agree with nictra on this, completely half-assed build not worth anywhere near $1,200.

Oh whoops, meant that it is a reciprocating charging handle. Late nights are strange.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Any open slot such as this is bad news in an enclosed receiver gun like the AK.  

Regardless of whether it is on the left or right side.

Even a good quality build with such an open slot is in my opinion something to be relegated to looking at or maybe plinking at the range.  I certainly would not want any such gun for my use.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any open slot such as this is bad news in an enclosed receiver gun like the AK.  

Regardless of whether it is on the left or right side.

Even a good quality build with such an open slot is in my opinion something to be relegated to looking at or maybe plinking at the range.  I certainly would not want any such gun for my use.

this. I went with the solar tactical tab on mine over the krebs lever because of the krebs levers hole.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#9]
That left-hand charging handle also renders the optic rail useless...
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
you know, if you're going to take the time to rivet a new trigger guard on the rifle, you might as well weld up the holes too. Especially for $1,250!!!!

ETA:

I went back and looked at it again. If you're going to remove the GB to put a HG retainer on (which I couldn't really see well enough to tell if it's a bolt on or not) you might as well replace it with a lugged one to make it more "correct". I just see these simple things as lazy IMO and this type of "lazy" conversion is almost always a throw off for me, even more so at that ungodly price! This rifle to me is worth about $700, and that takes into account the ACE stock and folding mech.

I say no. You want to spend that much $ send it to me and I'll do it for $400 less.

I think these are based on the same Saigas that Atlantic sells that already take a regular AK handguard.

Which means they should cost even less..haha  These are basically a basic Saiga conversion with an Ace stock and undesirable left side charging handle... for $1250.  Damn, sign me up
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

And they still list the side rail as a feature..lol  These Legion guys sure are funny.  Lets make something unusable and still list it as a feature.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#13]
And they still list the side rail as a feature..lol  These Legion guys sure are funny.  Lets make something unusable and still list it as a feature.

I suppose they could list it as a "receiver stiffener", which, actually, it is...

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#14]
What irks me is the fact that this is essentially a <$50 modification, not to mention you're getting tapco furniture for a $1250 rifle. Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd liked to see a rifle that is mirrored. Rounds still eject from the right, but the charge handle and safety are on the left and scope mount on the right.

There would be no large cut out for ejection on the left, and no slat cut on the right.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd liked to see a rifle that is mirrored. Rounds still eject from the right, but the charge handle and safety are on the left and scope mount on the right.

There would be no large cut out for ejection on the left, and no slat cut on the right.

Us lefties already have it, more or less.

I like the rifle as-is, but if you want to know what it would be like, shoot off the left shoulder.

I shoot off my right as a part of my training and workouts, and basically consider the rifle a lefthand gun.

I also like the ejection on the right side, as it allows me easy access to a round I am unchambering.

True, the occurence of a ruptured case or catastrophic case head separation or out-of-battery firing would be more troublesome to my face when firing from the left shoulder, but those are rare occurences and with blown primers and the case separations I've experienced with Lee-Enfield rifles, for example, did not allow enough gas back to cause me harm.  AK's appear to have a good gas relief system.

I have never heard of a catastrophic failure of an AK action but certainly it could occur.  What the results would be would be dependent on the nature of the failure, obviously, but the threat to a left shoulder shooter would seem to be greater than to a righty.  I'm not worried about it.  I like the guns as they are to me, favoring the left shoulder shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the rifle as-is, but if you want to know what it would be like, shoot off the left shoulder.

I shoot off my right as a part of my training and workouts, and basically consider the rifle a lefthand gun.

I also like the ejection on the right side, as it allows me easy access to a round I am unchambering.

True, the occurence of a ruptured case or catastrophic case head separation or out-of-battery firing would be more troublesome to my face when firing from the left shoulder, but those are rare occurences and with blown primers and the case separations I've experienced with Lee-Enfield rifles, for example, did not allow enough gas back to cause me harm.  AK's appear to have a good gas relief system.

I have never heard of a catastrophic failure of an AK action but certainly it could occur.  What the results would be would be dependent on the nature of the failure, obviously, but the threat to a left shoulder shooter would seem to be greater than to a righty.  I'm not worried about it.  I like the guns as they are to me, favoring the left shoulder shoulder.

ORLY?

Terrorist KABOOM.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I give it a "Meh...".
The more time I spend with my Ak, the more I appreciate it's already simple design. It aint the arrow, its the indian and this just strikes me as a fancified arrow.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not impressed with it for the reasons already cited.

I don't like the gaping hole on the left side of the receiver.  

I don't like the massive reciprocating charging handle on the left side of the receiver.

If a left hand charging handle is required you can extend and turn up the existing charging handle like the Galil's.

You can also check out the new (not yet released) Parabellum Armament non-reciprocating gas tube charging handle (think HK91).  The yet to be seen by the masses prototype I've been privy to looks pretty interesting.

The Legion design?  Meh.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Left handed charging handle

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Bad idea with an AK. You'll tear your hand up on the rear sight.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORLY?

Terrorist KABOOM.

Thanks.

If he is a terr I guess I wish he was left-handed...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not impressed with it for the reasons already cited.

I don't like the gaping hole on the left side of the receiver.  

I don't like the massive reciprocating charging handle on the left side of the receiver.

If a left hand charging handle is required you can extend and turn up the existing charging handle like the Galil's.

You can also check out the new (not yet released) Parabellum Armament non-reciprocating gas tube charging handle (think HK91).  The yet to be seen by the masses prototype I've been privy to looks pretty interesting.

The Legion design?  Meh.

only problem with that is if you are using an optic mounted over the top of the receiver charging the rifle will be a challenge. better off leaving the handle the way it is and then training with it rather than trying to fix a non existent problem with hardware. its why the soviets train to go over the top and under the rifle too. over the top works for most situations unless you have an optic on top then under the gun works better.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
As a lefty, I always considered AK's to be made for us.  I don't like any of the left hand charging variations.

If I was a righty, I might view the subject differently.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top