BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never built a yugo, but owned several. If I was to build one it would be a bulged trunnion one. Stouter, and more robust.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
vz58s on clearance at PSA for $400
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Updated some prices and info.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By the_great_mantis:
vz58s on clearance at PSA for $400
View Quote

VZ2008s.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the great thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag

TRG
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
Updated some prices and info.
View Quote

What would you guesstimate value at on the Romanian G kit-built guns?

I've got a couple of built and a couple still in parts kit form and was thinking about getting rid of a couple.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, bear with an AK noob please. Thanks to the person who took the time to post all this info up, it has helped me a bunch, and answered many questions before I asked them. I have read every post in this thread, and would like a little guidance with the information gained.

I am looking to buy my first AK, in 7.62 x 39. Mainly a range gun/truck gun/shtf type weapon. I know I want a milled receiver. I know I want wood furniture, fixed stock. If the import, hammer forged barrels are truly better, I know I want them. A chrome lined barrel would be good, but not a deal breaker for me unless there is some other reason for having it beyond the obvious cleaning and oiling implications. I keep all of my weapons cleaned and oiled religiously. I intend to let the choices I want determine the money I'm willing to spend, to a point. If I can get what I want for $600, great. I doubt I will spend more than $900 on an AK. I just want the best quality rifle I can get that has these features.

What I would like to know from the seasoned AK guys here is, given the options I want, what models should I be looking for and at? I would like to compile a list of models that all meet my desires, and then start narrowing down. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By troy3737:
Ok, bear with an AK noob please. Thanks to the person who took the time to post all this info up, it has helped me a bunch, and answered many questions before I asked them. I have read every post in this thread, and would like a little guidance with the information gained.

I am looking to buy my first AK, in 7.62 x 39. Mainly a range gun/truck gun/shtf type weapon. I know I want a milled receiver. I know I want wood furniture, fixed stock. If the import, hammer forged barrels are truly better, I know I want them. A chrome lined barrel would be good, but not a deal breaker for me unless there is some other reason for having it beyond the obvious cleaning and oiling implications. I keep all of my weapons cleaned and oiled religiously. I intend to let the choices I want determine the money I'm willing to spend, to a point. If I can get what I want for $600, great. I doubt I will spend more than $900 on an AK. I just want the best quality rifle I can get that has these features.

What I would like to know from the seasoned AK guys here is, given the options I want, what models should I be looking for and at? I would like to compile a list of models that all meet my desires, and then start narrowing down. Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

From what you've described,  assuming you want to buy new, you're not going to get an imported rifle. To get a new, milled receiveed-rifle with a CHF barrel you're looking at an Arsenal SAM-series of rifles in the $1200-1400 range. Not to fear, however, because the Century C39v2 has been getting a lot of rave reviews since it was released earlier this year and it gives you the milled receiver and wood furniture you seek. The barrel is button-rifled, not CHF, but it is melonited 4150 steel which, honestly, is the next best thing and should still last you a lifetime. You also getting the added bonus of quasi-AKM compatibility when it comes to accessories, which you wouldn't get on a traditional milled rifle.

Also on offer is the DDI milled rifle. These seem to be well made but a lot of folks (in Internet forum terms) have run into little issues with them. DDI seems to go above and beyond to resolve their issues, but until they get the bugs ironed out it's hard to recommend this rifle over the C39v2.

These rifles will run you $700-800.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you sir! I saw that rifle on gunbroker for 730.00, and want to say some of them claim a chrome lined barrel. I will look at this one closer. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511550584

They are claiming chrome lined. New version, or different barrel you think?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

link
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I think the seller is confusing "chrome moly" with "chrome lined". The second version of the original C39 had a chrome-lined barrel, but not the C39v2.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: troy3737] [#15]
Kind of what I was thinking too. Like I said, it isn't really a sticking point for me, but  don't want to deal with someone who would intentionally misrepresent their product. I don't think that is happening here, I'm just a little lost in all the options and features, and want to make my first AK purchase to be a good one. There are no guarantees for anyone, but I'm wanting to lean on the knowledge base of those who do have experience for guidance. Been doing a lot of reading.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

WASR. 500 dollars worth of badass. Quite happy with mine, worth every penny, perfect truck/range/plinking rifle and I would have no qualms at all about carrying it in a SHTF situation. CHF hammer forged barrels, plenty of customization possible.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

If you want milled go Arsenal. The SAM7 is what you want. You'll spend more than $900 though.

If you want a high end stamped gun, look at the SLR 107. They're in the $900 range.

If you want basic mil-spec features get a WASR for $500 and be done with it. It won't look as pretty (but the new ones are much nicer) but it will meet/exceed your needs.

If you are stuck to a milled receiver look at DDI milled AKs or maybe a C39 V2 from Century. I would probably give the DDI the nod over the C39.

Give those models a look over and come back with some feedback
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I hope you will stick with me a little while longer.

Although it would be great to have the Arsenal SAM7, I just can't swing the price tag, so it is out.

SGL_Shooter just named the 4 models that were on my short list. A few questions, if you'll indulge me. The more you read here, the more apparent it becomes that there doesn't seem to be a consensus between milled and stamped receivers, or maybe I'm just missing the debate. Is the truly better of the two common knowledge, is it just a personal preference thing, does it depend on what you want to do with the rifle, or are the differences between the two just not worth arguing about? After reading the abuse thread, yes I read every post, my eyes were opened somewhat to the WASR10. It is hard to ignore given it's price point, and some of the reviews around here. With the WASR at $600, the C39V2 at  $710, the DDI at $825 and the SLR at $970, depending on the responses to my milled vs. stamped questions, the SLR is probably out either way.

At the moment, I am leaning toward the DDI milled rifle. If anyone has it, the C39V2, or the newer WASR, please let me know your experiences. I think I could be happy with any of the 3 at this point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I hope you will stick with me a little while longer.

Although it would be great to have the Arsenal SAM7, I just can't swing the price tag, so it is out.

SGL_Shooter just named the 4 models that were on my short list. A few questions, if you'll indulge me. The more you read here, the more apparent it becomes that there doesn't seem to be a consensus between milled and stamped receivers, or maybe I'm just missing the debate. Is the truly better of the two common knowledge, is it just a personal preference thing, does it depend on what you want to do with the rifle, or are the differences between the two just not worth arguing about? After reading the abuse thread, yes I read every post, my eyes were opened somewhat to the WASR10. It is hard to ignore given it's price point, and some of the reviews around here. With the WASR at $600, the C39V2 at  $710, the DDI at $825 and the SLR at $970, depending on the responses to my milled vs. stamped questions, the SLR is probably out either way.

At the moment, I am leaning toward the DDI milled rifle. If anyone has it, the C39V2, or the newer WASR, please let me know your experiences. I think I could be happy with any of the 3 at this point.
View Quote

At this point stamped vs milled is just preference. The milled receivers were used as a stop gap while the Soviets worked out the flaws the early stamped guns had. Either will outlast you and your kids. Keep in mind a milled gun will only accept furniture for milled guns. A WASR will take pretty much every aftermarket piece designed for Soviet type stamped guns. If you want to keep it stock it won't matter, but if you want to ever swap stuff out the WASR is hands down the better choice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The even at their young ages, the C39v2 has a better track record so far than the DDI and the v2 will give you the ability to use AKM furniture. That said, I always choose stamped over milled. As SGL said, it's really just a preference, but to me the term "AK" and everything it conjures up screams "stamped sheet metal!" The entire mythhos of the AK as a "go anywhere, do anything, rough and reliable firearm" was built on the back of the AKM, i.e., stamped-receiver rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Notyouratty:

The even at their young ages, the C39v2 has a better track record so far than the DDI and the v2 will give you the ability to use AKM furniture. That said, I always choose stamped over milled. As SGL said, it's really just a preference, but to me the term "AK" and everything it conjures up screams "stamped sheet metal!" The entire mythhos of the AK as a "go anywhere, do anything, rough and reliable firearm" was built on the back of the AKM, i.e., stamped-receiver rifle.
View Quote
somehow I overlooked the C39V2 in my search for a sub 700 AK,  I put a OPAP on lay a way from Atlantic,  now I wish I had chosen the C39,  the OPAP is a decent rifle from what I have read.

actually they both are really good from what I have read,  I wanted to go with PSA but I think I will let them work the bugs out a little longer.  

The DDI also was a good one but it was more than I had to spend right now.  and now I cant change my order so it is what it is.......

thanks for all the info in this thread
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Thoughts on Vector Arms AK's?

I have one of their under folders built on an Elk River receiver and it's been an excellent gun.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M4:

I have one of their under folders built on an Elk River receiver and it's been an excellent gun.

View Quote

Thoughts?

Their builds are typically high quality and the guns are good to go. No hands on experience but from what I understand the quality of parts differs based on what kits they had on hand. Some were all matching kits, some mismatches, and IIRC once they ran out of original barrels they had to switch to US made. If I'm wrong on the barrel part someone please correct me.

You don't really see their AKs around too much anymore with all the new builders on the scene.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Thoughts?

Their builds are typically high quality and the guns are good to go. No hands on experience but from what I understand the quality of parts differs based on what kits they had on hand. Some were all matching kits, some mismatches, and IIRC once they ran out of original barrels they had to switch to US made. If I'm wrong on the barrel part someone please correct me.

You don't really see their AKs around too much anymore with all the new builders on the scene.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By M4:

Thoughts?

I believe its built from a Polish kit.

What would be the best way to tell the origin of the rest of the gun other than the Elk River (Global Trades) receiver?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By M4:

What would be the best way to tell the origin of the rest of the gun other than the Elk River (Global Trades) receiver?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:
Originally Posted By M4:

Thoughts?

The barrel should have Polish proofs on it. I think they marked their journals just like the rest of the Eastern Bloc (look for 1-2-2-2 or 1-1-1-2, etc for barrel parts sizes). Trunnion should be oval "11" marked, check the rest of the parts for numbers matching the trunnion serial. Only US parts I'd check for are pistol grip, FCG, gas piston, slant brake besides the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Great thread. If I was to buy a WASR would it maybe be better to buy from someone like Atlantic Firearms or if LGS has in stock,from them? Ilike the fact that they are QCd at Atlantic, being new to the AK maybe would be better. Had a few SKSs and they were like,helll just pick one. Seems the AK would be at least similar. I would for sure buy an imported rifle. LGSs have WASRs ranging from $625  to $649.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 4runnerteq:
Great thread. If I was to buy a WASR would it maybe be better to buy from someone like Atlantic Firearms or if LGS has in stock,from them? Ilike the fact that they are QCd at Atlantic, being new to the AK maybe would be better. Had a few SKSs and they were like,helll just pick one. Seems the AK would be at least similar. I would for sure buy an imported rifle. LGSs have WASRs ranging from $625  to $649.
View Quote

Usually LGSs are waaay over what you'd pay online but at the prices you're suggesting you will NOt beat that from Atlantic.  From Atlantic you gotta factor in shipping ($40), and pick up at your local dealer ($30+).  Plus being able to pickup today is its own kind of rewarding

As far as Atlantic doing a "hand pick" do you think they just throw out all the ugly rifles when he nicer ones are done?  Somebody is gonna get the uglier ones -if you even believe the best one out of 5 thing.

Nothing against Atlantic (or any online dealer that offers that) but I always thought that thing sounded suspicious
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By geoint:

As far as Atlantic doing a "hand pick" do you think they just throw out all the ugly rifles when he nicer ones are done?  Somebody is gonna get the uglier ones -if you even believe the best one out of 5 thing.

Nothing against Atlantic (or any online dealer that offers that) but I always thought that thing sounded suspicious
View Quote

They don't do a "hand pick", they do a cursory inspection of the rifles to ensure that everything is reasonably straight and squared away before shipping it. If they find an issue they send you a different rifle and, presumably, take it up with the distributor/importer. There's nothing suspicious about it. When I worked in sales we regularly sent items back to the distributor if we discovered a defect. The difference is that Atlantic looks for obvious defects before shipping the product out to you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm currently in the process of updating old entries and making some new ones. Probably going to be all for naught once the election skews prices, but whatever
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top