BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats what I think as of right now. I am going to wait for a local gun show in 3 weeks and see if I can find a cheaper one. If not I will be purchasing the one aforementioned.
Whichever place I purchase one at I look forward to spending more time than I want to with all of you.

One big question I do have:
I want an AK that has the most authentic Russian parts as possible. What markings do I need to lookout for?
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By chuck1188:
Thats what I think as of right now. I am going to wait for a local gun show in 3 weeks and see if I can find a cheaper one. If not I will be purchasing the one aforementioned.
Whichever place I purchase one at I look forward to spending more time than I want to with all of you.

One big question I do have:
I want an AK that has the most authentic Russian parts as possible. What markings do I need to lookout for?

A Saiga or an SGL rifle?
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
A Saiga or an SGL rifle?[/quote]

I dont care much for the composites. On either of those can you use wood furniture?

In other news Arsenal inc's website is now up again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _LandCruiser_] [#4]
Originally Posted By chuck1188:
A Saiga or an SGL rifle?

I dont care much for the composites. On either of those can you use wood furniture?

In other news Arsenal inc's website is now up again.

Yes, wood furniture installs fine. Might require some very minor fitting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 1:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I too am looking for my first AK and I am in the market for 800-1k.  I would like something that I can get parts for and exchange parts, meaning something w/original parts if I am thinking correctly.  I did watch the video which helped a lot.  I do like the swing rear stock and the flip for pistol use.  I ill use it for self defense/shooting/plinking.  I want the 7.62x39 caliber.

Any thoughts on where to purchase.

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 2:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rollbar:
I too am looking for my first AK and I am in the market for 800-1k.  I would like something that I can get parts for and exchange parts, meaning something w/original parts if I am thinking correctly.  I did watch the video which helped a lot.  I do like the swing rear stock and the flip for pistol use.  I ill use it for self defense/shooting/plinking.  I want the 7.62x39 caliber.

Any thoughts on where to purchase.

Thanks,
Jim

Some pretty great options in your price range. If you can swing a little more, the SLR-107 series of rifles are a great choice. You can purchase them from K-Var or Atlantic Firearms.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
A good thing to add to the line up would be the stamped AKM rifles being currently imported from Poland.

They are being imported from Poland by IO Inc with single-stack magazine wells (like WASRs), which are then milled out to accept regular double stack magazines.  Currently sold by Centerfire and Classic Arms. Once there is more information from end-users, we can incorporate that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Great thread.  Thanks for all the great info.  This helped a lot in my research, and helped me decide to get one of the TGI AMD-65's.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Krater:
A good thing to add to the line up would be the stamped AKM rifles being currently imported from Poland.
http://www.classicfirearms.com/media/wysiwyg/Polish-AK_copy.jpg

They are being imported from Poland by IO Inc with single-stack magazine wells (like WASRs), which are then milled out to accept regular double stack magazines.  Currently sold by Centerfire and Classic Arms. Once there is more information from end-users, we can incorporate that.

New info on this rifle. Only the receiver and barrel are Polish apparently. The remainder of the parts are Romanian. So, it is basically a WASR with dimples. However, the manufacturer stamp is "made in Poland" so that might add a little more for people. Barreled receivers came in to I.O. and they threw the rest together with Romanian parts. NO matching serial numbers. Atlantic is also selling them at this time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Great thread.  Answered many questions for me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad it's still useful, I am going to try to update the prices sometime this week or next if Internet comes back. Can't do it from a phone
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a list somewhere of the rifles that have the thicker steel receivers?
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Updated some prices and pictures.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#17]
🚬
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a WASR that I bought maybe 5 years ago and I was getting the bug to buy another AK here but I've been out of the AK game for so long I didn't know where to start looking again so thank you for this post. It was immensely helpful.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Bump to remind myself to update some things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]

They are a combination of Polish and Romanian parts. Mainly, Romanian barrel components and bolt groups with Polish receivers/barrels.

Get a SAR 1. The answer for all you newbs, is get a SAR 1. Don't question, just act, don't pass go, just get a SAR 1 and you are done.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#21]
bump,bump, bump.......ewe sticky

took me an hour to find this, why is it not sticky. i know everything already, it's for a friend

great work by the way
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes this really needs to be pinned.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]

I don't think that's a very good choice. Keep looking!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#24]
About how much heavier is a Vepr over a Saiga? Looking for another Ak and and with the killer sale on the vepr thinking of grabbing one, but not sure if the heavier receiver and barrel would make it less useful as a fighting arm. With the Saiga I'd most likely be throwing a Ace fixed stock on it when I did the conversion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Balog:
About how much heavier is a Vepr over a Saiga? Looking for another Ak and and with the killer sale on the vepr thinking of grabbing one, but not sure if the heavier receiver and barrel would make it less useful as a fighting arm. With the Saiga I'd most likely be throwing a Ace fixed stock on it when I did the conversion.

At the sale price I'd just get the VEPR. Do you already have a fighting AK? Because they VEPRs will need a bullet guide to work with standard AK mags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#26]
A few more revisions, mostly with the prices due to the election and trickling of imports
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesP81] [#27]
Talk to me about the Wasr line.  I'm wanting a 7.62x39 semi auto rifle that won't balk at shooting steel cased commie ammo.  I'd like to get 4 MOA accuracy (basically, I want to be able to reliably hit an empty soda can at 50 yards), and I'd like to put a red dot sight on it without enlisting the help of a machine shop to do it.  Main use for this rifle will be a bit of deer hunting, coyotes, and recreational shooting.
First question, is all of that reasonable?
Second question, in one of the other help threads it talked about buying Wasrs in person to avoid the usual "Wasr bugs".  What trouble areas should be looking for when shopping for a Wasr?

Third question, is there a way to mount a red dot without a machine shop?  Something that replaces the rear sight might work, but I would imagine cheek weld would be crappy, due to an optic most likely sitting higher than the iron sights.  Any ways to redress that?
Fourth question, if I would be served by something better, what would it be?  I'm not quite ready to drop a thousand dollars on an AK so I'm not really considering an Arsenal, but there's some room between bargain basement frankengun and top of the line Arsenal.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JamesP81:
Talk to me about the Wasr line.  I'm wanting a 7.62x39 semi auto rifle that won't balk at shooting steel cased commie ammo.  I'd like to get 4 MOA accuracy (basically, I want to be able to reliably hit an empty soda can at 50 yards), and I'd like to put a red dot sight on it without enlisting the help of a machine shop to do it.  Main use for this rifle will be a bit of deer hunting, coyotes, and recreational shooting.

First question, is all of that reasonable?

Second question, in one of the other help threads it talked about buying Wasrs in person to avoid the usual "Wasr bugs".  What trouble areas should be looking for when shopping for a Wasr?

Third question, is there a way to mount a red dot without a machine shop?  Something that replaces the rear sight might work, but I would imagine cheek weld would be crappy, due to an optic most likely sitting higher than the iron sights.  Any ways to redress that?

Fourth question, if I would be served by something better, what would it be?  I'm not quite ready to drop a thousand dollars on an AK so I'm not really considering an Arsenal, but there's some room between bargain basement frankengun and top of the line Arsenal.

1: Yes, that is all reasonable.
2: When looking at a WASR in person, there are two main things to look for. First is if the barrel assembly was pressed in square. This can be accomplished by looking down the sights from above and behind the rifle. The rear sight, gas block, and front sight base should all be in a reasonably straight line. If one or all of the components is blatantly off center then I'd pass, especially since an offset gas block can lead to the piston binding. Here is a picture of what a canted front sight looks like:

3: There are numerous mounts that use the side rail that comes on every WASR. I am not an expert on those but there are several knowledgable folks here that can set you straight if you make another topic.
4: This depends. Personally I think everyone should have an AK in their collection. Depending on what you already own and what your preferences are you might want to look into setting up an AR15 for hunting, they are easier to configure to a specific purpose.

Now that I have answered those, might I point you towards a VEPR? On Sale!

VEPRs are some of the most accurate AKs on the market.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

4: This depends. Personally I think everyone should have an AK in their collection. Depending on what you already own and what your preferences are you might want to look into setting up an AR15 for hunting, they are easier to configure to a specific purpose.

AR15s in x39 have the same problem as the Mini30: they tend to balk at igniting the harder / deeper set primers seen on Russian steel cased ammo.  The specialty parts needed to built an AR with a steel case optimized bolt and firing pin are prohibitively expensive.

The VEPR looks nice and the price is right....problem is, the one you linked is a left handed thumbhole and they're out of right handed ones
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#30]

AR15s in x39 have the same problem as the Mini30: they tend to balk at igniting the harder / deeper set primers seen on Russian steel cased ammo.  The specialty parts needed to built an AR with a steel case optimized bolt and firing pin are prohibitively expensive.

The VEPR looks nice and the price is right....problem is, the one you linked is a left handed thumbhole and they're out of right handed ones

I saw that But I figured you can always swap the thumbhole for an AR stock tube and adjustable stock with a cheek rest since you wanted to scope it. That's what I would do anyway IMO. Just another option out there on the table.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Does Ace make a receiver block to mount one of their stocks to for veprs?

To answer SGL Shooter's question, I have an AMD-65 and I love the light weight but I'm looking to get another that's more of a full size AK that's easier to modify. Just not wanting to go from a really light model to one that's super heavy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you mean like this? Photo from the Russian photo thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#33]
MODS please pin this dang thread already...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Awesome thread and very helpful to a newbie

I'm very new to Ak's and after shooting one I have been looking almost every day. But I have a few questions for the pro's

1- Can you fit a under folding stock to any AK, or do they have to be certain make / models to accept the under folding stock?

2- Do all AK's (assuming they are the same cal) take the same mags? My buddy had a few that wiggled and some that were tight.

3- Any difference between wood and plastic furniture or is it all just about looks?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Awesome! Thanks SGL Shooter, for that post and this whole guide. :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Kevin6894:
Awesome thread and very helpful to a newbie

I'm very new to Ak's and after shooting one I have been looking almost every day. But I have a few questions for the pro's

1- Can you fit a under folding stock to any AK, or do they have to be certain make / models to accept the under folding stock?

2- Do all AK's (assuming they are the same cal) take the same mags? My buddy had a few that wiggled and some that were tight.

3- Any difference between wood and plastic furniture or is it all just about looks?

Under folders can be put on any rifle, with enough money. The easy answer is that under folding stocks are specific to that type of AK. A few models that come to mind are the WASR under folder, Century Polish AKMS, and Arsenal SAM-7S.

For the most part, yes. Some magwells are tighter than others, but most of the time it's the magazine that's the problem.

I think polymer stays cooler longer due to the heatshields. It "should" also be able to handle more abuse than wood. It's also a bit lighter. Keep in mind I don't own a polymer rifle, yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Im a newbie about the AKs so be gentle. Why do some use a single stack mag and others a double? Is capacity of the 2 different types different? I mean is the single a "longer" mag to make up the difference? I thought all Aks used the same magazine but Im learning that its not so.

How hard are magazines to come by? Will one AK manufacturer magazine fit into another AK manufacturers  (same stack up)?

Maybe I'll just stick with the ARs... :)
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Copter:
Im a newbie about the AKs so be gentle. Why do some use a single stack mag and others a double? Is capacity of the 2 different types different? I mean is the single a "longer" mag to make up the difference? I thought all Aks used the same magazine but Im learning that its not so.

How hard are magazines to come by? Will one AK manufacturer magazine fit into another AK manufacturers  (same stack up)?

The single stack magazines are to have a weapon that can't accept "high capacity" magazines.  7.62 and 5.45 magazines are fairly standard, but with rifles made to different specs in different countries, sometimes you have problems.  5.56 AK mags vary much more from one country's offering to another, so there's less compatibility.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#39]
WHY ISN'T THIS PINNED YET???

For god's sake, we've still got "July AK of the Month AK-74 *Winner announced in OP" pinned up. Can't someone make room for this?

Mods, please consider pinning this thread at the top of the AK forum... Maybe a slightly edited/cleaned up version with some of the chatter and BS taken out nut leaving the facts and good info intact?
I know I'm not the only member getting tired of pointing countless "AK newbs" toward this thread several times per week. There are at least 5 new "new to AK's need advise on which one to get" or "whats the difference between this AK and this AK at my LGS besides price?"

THIS NEEDS TO BE PINNED...
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Single stack mags exist due to import restrictions. Rifles can't be imported that hold more than ten rounds, so (using a Romanian WASR for example) the rifles are built on single stack receivers for import. Once imported, the magwells are enlarged to accept double stack mags.

All standard (AKA double stack) AK, AKM, and AK100 series rifles in 7.62x39 will accept the same mags. If your rifle doesn't accept a certain mag, it's probably the mag's fault. Magazines are manufactured by the millions in all kinds of countries and some will fit better than others. Likewise all standard AK74 and AK100 type rifles in 5.45x39 will accept the same mags. 5.56x45 AKs were never standardized, so for those you need country specific magazines. Other than that it's plug and play when it comes to AKs and mags.

Hope this clears it up a bit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I geuss Im thick skulled about this single/double stack magazine issue and beg you all to clear this up for me.  As Im a AR guy  the magazine issue is moot. I can shoot Brand X AR, pull the magazine out of it and place it in Brand B and keep on shooting.

This is my concern about the AKs. Being able to use a magazine from Brand A and then put it in Brand Z.

Im having a hard time knowing what mft AK uses a single stack and what AK uses a double... Can you use a single in a double  but not a double is a single?

I understand that AKs imported into the USA can not hold more than 10 rounds....... But with a detachable magazine  isnt that a matter of tha magazine and not the rifle? Or is it because ALL the foreign magazines are double stack  more than 10 (hi cap) round magazines which cant be imported into the USA (is that correct?)   If so whats up with the 20,30 40+ magazines I see for sale?

I understand just SOME  AK mag wells are "openned" up to allow double stack magazines but again......   isnt that about the capacity of the magazine and not the stack up?

Sorry fellows maybe Im just confusing myself.

The SKS rifles are much easier to understand as they max out with a 10 round magazine... at least when they enter the USA.

Thanks fellows. Im sure I'll have more questions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I geuss Im thick skulled about this single/double stack magazine issue and beg you all to clear this up for me.  As Im a AR guy  the magazine issue is moot. I can shoot Brand X AR, pull the magazine out of it and place it in Brand B and keep on shooting.

This is my concern about the AKs. Being able to use a magazine from Brand A and then put it in Brand Z.

Im having a hard time knowing what mft AK uses a single stack and what AK uses a double... Can you use a single in a double  but not a double is a single?

I understand that AKs imported into the USA can not hold more than 10 rounds....... But with a detachable magazine  isnt that a matter of tha magazine and not the rifle? Or is it because ALL the foreign magazines are double stack  more than 10 (hi cap) round magazines which cant be imported into the USA (is that correct?)   If so whats up with the 20,30 40+ magazines I see for sale?

I understand just SOME  AK mag wells are "openned" up to allow double stack magazines but again......   isnt that about the capacity of the magazine and not the stack up?

Sorry fellows maybe Im just confusing myself.

The SKS rifles are much easier to understand as they max out with a 10 round magazine... at least when they enter the USA.

Thanks fellows. Im sure I'll have more questions.

Do you have an AK that you are looking at? The more specific you are the more helpful I can be. That being said, almost all the AKs on the market right now accept double stack mags. The exceptions are: unmodified WASR rifles and unmodified Yugo PAP rifles. The Saiga and VEPR rifles will take their own specific double stack mags, unless you install a bullet guide (like feedramps on an AR). Then they will take double stack mags. I know this sounds confusing but in reality it's more straightforward. When in doubt, it's a doublestack unless it's a non converted Saiga or VEPR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 2:30:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CAL_BEAR] [#43]
Howdy All...Thank you for this thread, and all the information you all share so freely!  Figured this would be a likely place to ask for some advice.

I realize I have chosen the worst possible time to enter the "dark side" or any side for that matter...  Anyway, I figured that if I was going to get "screwed", I should at least buy something of quality as a first purchase, and enjoy it!.  I narrowed it to a few brands as suggested in this thread and other reviews, and let availability dictate.  The choice is Arsenal, and the models are as follows:  SLR 101-13 ($1400)...SAM7R-61 ($1300)...SGL 21-61 ($1200). My research shows that a few months ago the SLR and SGL could be purchased for about $500 less, couldn't find any history on the SAM other than $1049, only $250 off it's current price.  

I'm hoping that the Community will help me with this final hurdle, and help me evaluate the models/prices.  They all seem very similar, outside of  a few details:  stamped vs milled; original Bulgy/Russian receivers vs. US receiver...I know most would not even consider a purchase at these prices, but you probably already have one or ten in your stable...LOL!  I'm not looking to purchase as a collectible or "Safe Queen", this will be used in heat and cold, sand and mud, etc.  I know they all fit the bill, I just can't decide and wanted to get some input from those who have handled any of these models.  Does one model distinguish itself from the other in any significant way?

Thank you in advance...
TW

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I would buy the SLR101, it has a Bulgarian milled receiver versus the US milled receiver on the SAM. I would not pay $1200 for an SGL. The SLR is probably the best deal out of the bunch, but if you want to save $100 get the SAM, as it is of the same quality as the SLR.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Noob_Thoughts] [#45]

The Veprs you see now are really the second coming. They were first brought in by a company called Robinson Arms. (Called Vepr K)
The Robinson Arms Verps came with plastic furniture and a pistol grip. I have seen a few around for sale. I recommend a Rob Arm Vepr and save yourself all the drama of converting the newer wood stock veprs. Here is mine rob arm vepr:(note the 16 inch barrel)
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#46]
This should be a sticky.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Between the SAM7R and the 101S which would be the better buy? if price is approximately the same?
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By rentzington:
Between the SAM7R and the 101S which would be the better buy? if price is approximately the same?

Depends if you want a stamped or milled receiver, and 5.45 or 7.62. Personally i would get the SAM because all I have is 7.62 right now. If this were three or four weeks ago when people were still ordering 5.45 from Sportsmans Guide, I'd have gone with the SLR105.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#49]

If you're talking about the SAM7R-61 currently being sold by K-Var, it's the exact same rifle as the SLR-101S.  K-Var/Arsenal recently changed the nomenclature of the SLR-101 to SAM7R-61, which has understandably confused a lot of people into thinking that the SAM7R-61 must be the same as the older SA M-7.  But it is not.  

Not sure why K-Var did this, as they must have known that it would confuse everyone.  Or perhaps that was the point.  

But yeah...it's the exact same rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By StephenNW:

If you're talking about the SAM7R-61 currently being sold by K-Var, it's the exact same rifle as the SLR-101S.  K-Var/Arsenal recently changed the nomenclature of the SLR-101 to SAM7R-61, which has understandably confused a lot of people into thinking that the SAM7R-61 must be the same as the older SA M-7.  But it is not.  

Not sure why K-Var did this, as they must have known that it would confuse everyone.  Or perhaps that was the point.  

But yeah...it's the exact same rifle.

YUP thats what i was thinking of!  I saw atlantic got the 101s in stock so I was comparing and couldnt even see a difference.
though i gotta say that 107 side folder is looking mighty nice too.

Already have plenty of 7.62x39 for my sks's
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top