BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
What type of accuracy can you expect in the 5.56nato versions?

Better than 7.62. About on par with 5.45 due to the flatter shooting round. Probably 2 to 4moa.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Updated.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
What type of accuracy can you expect in the 5.56nato versions?

My Romanian WASR-3 will shoot ~3 MOA with Wolf Military Classic 55 grainFMJ
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Updated title. Hope to make this a discussion thread for all the new "what to get" questions that aren't answered with the guide.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump. LET'S GET THIS STICKIED MODS. DO YOUR JOB.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:

I think they don't want to have to many tacked threads in this section but I'd be willing to switch out my"pay it forward" thread for this one. That kind of fizzled out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PreemptiveStrike:

I think they don't want to have to many tacked threads in this section but I'd be willing to switch out my"pay it forward" thread for this one. That kind of fizzled out.

The thread about the WASR's newly manufactured barrel is SO useful too, isn't it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 8:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreemptiveStrike] [#8]

The thread about the WASR's newly manufactured barrel is SO useful too, isn't it?

Actually.....yes it is

ETA, FYI the mods on this site spend a HUGE amount of time behind the scenes making sure this place runs as smoothly as possible. I've had a number of issues on this site and every mod/site staff has gone above and beyond to help me.  Have a little patience.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreemptiveStrike] [#9]
FYI This has been added to the "IMPORTANT THREADS" Gold highlighted section at the top of the AK discusssions section.

AK BUYER'S GUIDE
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI This has been added to the "IMPORTANT THREADS" Gold highlighted section at the top of the AK discusssions section.

AK BUYER'S GUIDE

Well, I guess that's better than nothing.

But I'll bet 90%+ of the people looking for that info won't look there.  A separate sticky would be more useful.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StephenNW:

AK BUYER'S GUIDE

But I'll bet 90%+ of the people looking for that info won't look there.  A separate sticky would be more useful.

I would like this as well. It would be nice to make this a place for all the new guys to stop in and ask questions, kind of like a discussion thread. Although being deemed an important thread is good too
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreemptiveStrike] [#12]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

AK BUYER'S GUIDE

I would like this as well. It would be nice to make this a place for all the new guys to stop in and ask questions, kind of like a discussion thread. Although being deemed an important thread is good too

That's something you'd have to ask the mods/sight staff for. I asked to get this tacked and it was placed there. It's not a bad spot but new people just don't look there. Some people just want information spoon fed to them. I'd offer my "pay it forrward" spot because that seems to have died a slow death.

You did a lot of nice work on this thread and others have contributed as well. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you. Should I PM a mod directly or do I have to use the report button? Never done something like this before.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PreemptiveStrike] [#14]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:
Thank you. Should I PM a mod directly or do I have to use the report button? Never done something like this before.

If I see a mod is online I try to ask them first. If they're not online I've usually asked VA-gunnut (who is site staff) as he posts in the AK sections often. If it's a serious issue that requires immediate attention I go right to IMing the site staff.

As far as this thread goes I talked to VA-gunnut directly as I was already talking to him about another issue.

There have been a lot of "let's tack this thread" posts here but in all honestly what I posted earlier the mods and site staff are crazy busy with just keeping ts site running smoothly. For every issue that members see there's probably 10 going on behind the scenes.

My "pay it forward" thread didn't go as hoped and seemed to have died out so I would have no problem with it being untacked and this replacing it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I PM'd Zhukov about it, as I have seen him post a bit in the AK side of things. We'll have to see what he says.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Im glad this made it to the important threads section. Nice job SGL!
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ky1e:
Im glad this made it to the important threads section. Nice job SGL!

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:29:45 AM EDT
[#19]
great info thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Could you tell me a reason someone would go with a ak74 vs a ak47 besides cheaper ammo?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mnsdurham:
Could you tell me a reason someone would go with a ak74 vs a ak47 besides cheaper ammo?

Lighter recoil.

Prepped 30 round 5.45 mags weigh less than prepped 7.62 mags. This makes a difference if you are carrying a number of mags over distance.  

Currently AK74 mags are getting harder to find.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mnsdurham:

5.45 is a flatter shooting, higher velocity round than 7.62 which gives it a greater effective distance.

It's cheap.

Lighter recoil, as mentioned before.

It's cheap.

Lighter cartridge, mags are lighter and you can carry more, as mentioned before.

It's cheap.

Yes, one of the main advantages for a high volume shooter is that it is cheap to shoot a lot, but there are many out there that agree that 5.45 is a superior round to the old 7.62x39.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you SGL for a great helpful thread, just made an order after reading your guide, found a rifle in there I didn't know about and glad I did!
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Thank you SGL for a great helpful thread, just made an order after reading your guide, found a rifle in there I didn't know about and glad I did!

Glad I could help
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#25]
thank you this helped me alot, i didnt see much info on the polytech, thats the ak i want, but its kinda out of my budget anyways, i think for my first i will go with the chinese cause i want a wood stock, or a SLR 107, what would be the best 7.62x39 wood stock ak for $900 or 1000 is what i will spend to get a good one?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By hallstar606:
thank you this helped me alot, i didnt see much info on the polytech, thats the ak i want, but its kinda out of my budget anyways, i think for my first i will go with the chinese cause i want a wood stock, or a SLR 107, what would be the best 7.62x39 wood stock ak for $900 or 1000 is what i will spend to get a good one?

You can buy wood stock sets for any AK. Just find one you like and get wood for it. Make sure you are 922(r) compliant when you do.

The Chinese make good AK's, but an SLR-107 would serve you just as well. Then buy wood furniture for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By hallstar606:

You can buy wood stock sets for any AK. Just find one you like and get wood for it. Make sure you are 922(r) compliant when you do.

The Chinese make good AK's, but an SLR-107 would serve you just as well. Then buy wood furniture for it.

The newly imported SLR's I'm aware of all come with a folding stock trunnion.  I think he's wanting a wood buttstock too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#28]
An SGL21 then. Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#29]
An SGL21 then. Not a big deal.

This would be my choice as well. Then add an Ironwood stockset finished by Sinatra or Z_Recto
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome guide, should help out a lot. Couple things:

Maadis can vary greatly, from cobbled together with chinese parts and barrels, to pre-bans that can bring $1000+, to the "y-stamp" maadi which is relatively rare. Most maadis I've seen I would place below a SAR-1 though.

The SA-85m pictured has a normal length gas system.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By clange:
Awesome guide, should help out a lot. Couple things:

Maadis can vary greatly, from cobbled together with chinese parts and barrels, to pre-bans that can bring $1000+, to the "y-stamp" maadi which is relatively rare. Most maadis I've seen I would place below a SAR-1 though.

The SA-85m pictured has a normal length gas system.

My mistake, the original pic I had had the short gas system. I'll update, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 4:31:50 AM EDT
[#32]
thanks guys yeah im really wanting the SLR 107 or the SGL 21, i would like to have the folding stock on the 107 it would be nice to fold it in when i want to make the rifle shorter, i love the yugos and the chinese, if i could find one, what about the RAK russian, chrome bolt i seen it for my price range on atlantic firearms?
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Appreciate the post. good info.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eziggy3] [#34]
So I am told buy an import, but I heard Arsenal was good and they are U.S. made. What about this one. Pricy, but very nice.

http://http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/SAM7CLASSIC.jpg
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By eziggy3:
So I am told buy an import, but I heard Arsenal was good and they are U.S. made. What about this one. Pricy, but very nice.

http://http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/SAM7CLASSIC.jpg

Arsenal AKs are technically U.S. made because of import rule/922r reasons, but they're foreign where it counts and are some of the best AKs available.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TheGrandIllusion:
Originally Posted By eziggy3:

Arsenal AKs are technically U.S. made because of import rule/922r reasons, but they're foreign where it counts and are some of the best AKs available.

SAM 7s are very high quality. Try to find one lightly used though, instead of paying $2000 new you can find them for around $1300 used.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's a video that was recently posted on Youtube.  Very good, basic introduction to the AK.

"AK101: Choosing a Kalashnikov"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seY9ZZxMFIQ&feature=relmfu
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 3:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGL_Shooter] [#38]
Here's a video that was recently posted on Youtube.  Very good, basic introduction to the AK.

"AK101: Choosing a Kalashnikov"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seY9ZZxMFIQ&feature=relmfu

Fantastic find, I'm going to embed it in the OP.

ETA: If you guys see anything that needs to be updated, please post it so I can change the OP. Prices are rising on almost everything and I'm going to have to eventually edit all the entries
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#39]
We need to periodically bump this thread. Seems like the discussion board is flooded by "what AK should I buy?" threads.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#41]
We need to periodically bump this thread. Seems like the discussion board is flooded by "what AK should I buy?" threads.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Really great info. Thanks for posting it!
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By rmcgee:

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Great thread SGL.  Thanks.  

Henderson Defense has what looks like a great deal on the M&M.  It's $629, and comes w/ 4 30 round mags.  Hard to resist.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok noob here with a couple of questions.

I am avidly looking for my first AK, and I want to make her the one. I'm not necessarily looking for a "beauty queen" (if thats what you refer to it as), but rather something that will look good and shoot straight.
I looked at one yesterday and from doing a little research on this site I see that its made by Romarms. Fixed stock, natural wood "furniture", the guy said it was a kit gun.
But from what I understand 99% of them are "kit" guns anyway amiright?
He's wanting $550 for it with an extra mag.

Didnt note everything I saw on the gun, as I didnt do much research until after I looked at the gun. I could have done that backwards.

Dont know if it has a brake on it (not too familiar with this anyway), didnt check wiggle of mag.

But thats why I have come here. For all of your help before I dive into something I might regret. I want to cover all my bases before I pop on something.

I guess I dont have that many questions that I didnt find here but I would love some feedback on a potential purchase from you experts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Great thread, thanks.

Recently got my first AK from some what of a 3 way trade.  Old farmer was using it for hogs but took it into a small town shop looking to trade for a 12g since his vision was getting bad.  I gave up a plinker BM AR for it.  Did some google searching and found some info but still looking.  Found stuff about Blue Ridge and Gordon Tech but mine doesn't have their markings.

All it says is "Model SLR-100 Cal 7.62x39 Arsenal Bulgaria Intrac Knox TX

Found some info on Intrac but not much.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By chuck1188:
Ok noob here with a couple of questions.

I am avidly looking for my first AK, and I want to make her the one. I'm not necessarily looking for a "beauty queen" (if thats what you refer to it as), but rather something that will look good and shoot straight.
I looked at one yesterday and from doing a little research on this site I see that its made by Romarms. Fixed stock, natural wood "furniture", the guy said it was a kit gun.
But from what I understand 99% of them are "kit" guns anyway amiright?
He's wanting $550 for it with an extra mag.

Didnt note everything I saw on the gun, as I didnt do much research until after I looked at the gun. I could have done that backwards.

Dont know if it has a brake on it (not too familiar with this anyway), didnt check wiggle of mag.

But thats why I have come here. For all of your help before I dive into something I might regret. I want to cover all my bases before I pop on something.

I guess I dont have that many questions that I didnt find here but I would love some feedback on a potential purchase from you experts.

It is probably a WASR. Read the little blurb on them and make sure you check for sight cant, mag wobble, and general fit and finish. $550 is about the going rate for them these days. Should be a good shooter that you can use and abuse without feeling bad about scratches and wear. You can always dress it up with new furniture as well.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
Great thread, thanks.

Recently got my first AK from some what of a 3 way trade.  Old farmer was using it for hogs but took it into a small town shop looking to trade for a 12g since his vision was getting bad.  I gave up a plinker BM AR for it.  Did some google searching and found some info but still looking.  Found stuff about Blue Ridge and Gordon Tech but mine doesn't have their markings.

All it says is "Model SLR-100 Cal 7.62x39 Arsenal Bulgaria Intrac Knox TX

Found some info on Intrac but not much.

The SLR100s, from what I have read, were imported as bare receivers. Several manufacturers built them into rifles, but they were also available for individual purchase. Blue Ridge and Gordon Tech were the most reputable manufacturers, often building with unissued Hungarian kits. If yours has no markings then there is a chance it was manufactured by an individual. As always pictures would help as they are worth a thousand words.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top