Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:09:17 AM EDT
Edit:

Updated with newer red dots and collimators, also clarified some details on the PK01 series.

(Also keep in mind this isn't every single combloc red dot manufactured, but it is the majority of them I believe)

Traditional tube style red dots:

PK-A
Grey model with lower mount (my personal favorite of the PKA family)

PK-A
Black model with high mount

PK-A
Weaver

PK02/PK23
Mine was marked PK02 but the common name is PK23. Has a flickering red dot that is easy to acquire and naturally draws your eye to it.
(In RS Regulate's 30mm tube mount, good stuff)

PK01 Series

The PK01 series is extensive and covers probably 8-10 models, maybe more. I'm still in the process of trying to nail all these down, I think I have 4 or 5 more to go (not counting the newest ones from BelOMO that we can't get). The hard part is knowing exactly how similar they are in construction...some of them clearly are in the same family, others just carry the ubiquitous PK01 designation. I'm still researching.

(Sorry, no pics for some of these, I don't have them in hand yet but they are on my list)  

PK01 styles
Left to right VS, VM, V and Vi

PK01AA
http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pk01aa.html

Venezuelan PK-A

Venezuelan PK-A with older PK-A

PK01BT
http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pk01bb.html

PK01 from Eastwave's site, this one seems to be similar to the PK01 series that we're seeing lately (The PK01-Vi) but has some kind of automatic light sensor

PK01Vi
The body is marked PK01Vi but this seems to most commonly be called PK01VA or PK01VE or sometimes just PK01-V. A fair amount of confusion exists on it's designation... at different time periods and different vendors have used various names for it from what I have been told by Tantal. For simplicities sake I think I'm going to stick with what is written on the scope body and dispense with the designations that may or may not be based on mount types.

PK01Vi with the high mount (spacer above locking clamp)

With spacer removed

PK01-V
Is extremely low and will cowitness with rear sight on 1
Uncharacteristically for BelOMO optics it uses AAA batteries

PK01-VM

Super rare PK01-VS
Also extremely low and will cowitness on 1

Kobra EKP-1S-03M
This is not a collimator or a traditional red dot, however it has a proven reputation for toughness and is well regarded by Russian troops in Chechnya. There are a number of versions, this one is 03M. Currently produced by Axion, Kobra has had somewhat of a checkered past manufacturing-wise.

Collimater type optics:

Generally speaking the collimator optics are really non magnified scopes as opposed to tube style optics with dots. They tend to have a higher quality lense, less of a tube like field of view and gather more light for a brighter image than typical red dots. Latest versions like Obzor and Rakurs do not use batteries and are tritium illimunated, plus have some form of always on reticule like an regular scope would.

PK-AS
I believe this is sometimes called the S version and is generally what I think most of us are familiar with
Has an always on black oval and dot and uses batteries to illuminate the dot for low light shooting

PK-AS-V
Higher and center over the bore

PK-AS-W
Weaver

Rakurs
Has an always on German Post Reticule and uses tritium for low light shooting. 1P76 has entered service with Russian FSB units.

Russian marked 1P76 version without diopter

Rakurs-PM picatinny version

With PN16K nigh vision

Reticule
This is indeed a tritium illuminated reticule but because of the eye relief it's hard to get a decent picture of it. It's green and has a ghostly feel to it, I like it alot. No on/off, no batteries and nothing to worry about.

On the S12

SLR105

PK-AS-S and Rakurs, here you can see the relative difference in height

Semi top view, it was hard to get a good photo showing the height over the receiver. It does block the irons.

Obzor
Uses always on daylight reticule via the light sensors on the top and bottom and also tritium for low light shooting. Has a brightness filter to darken the FOV and make the reticule stand out more clearly.

Bottom and top light sensors for daylight reticule

Elevation and windage

Filter on/off (to reduce glare and bring out the contrast of the reticle better)

Daylight reticule
Tritium is similar…no triangle in the middle and the overall size is smaller, it fits in the empty space around the triangle. Tough to get a pic but hopefully you get the idea

Rakurs and Obzor

NIT-A
Always on German post reticule using light sensor technology like Obzor (it actually is the forerunner of Obzor). Also has filter switch like Obzor for better reticule clarity
Tritium illuminated but most likely will be too old to use or deactivated.

SLG31

With Obzor and Rakurs

NIT-A reticule

Shooting position from the bench

NIT light sensors

On the S12

More pics including magnified:
http//:russianoptics.net

Z
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
nice, hurry up and buy the others too so we can have a complete review. I'm not an enabler.....really
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice write-up.

I hate you and your 30 Optics that I want, though.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are most of the optics mounted so high?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent post, perhaps we can get this tacked somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it possible to get a cheek weld with any of those or are they all sitting pretty high?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why are most of the optics mounted so high?

Some of them are intended for use with ballistic helmets that have faceshields. Otherwise as far as I can tell it's more for CQB where higher seems to be more natural in a dynamic environment.

I was trained by Uncle Sam with the nose to the charging handle M16 sight picture with a very low cheekweld, but I can say after using these optics over the years I personally don't think they're high at all, actually quite comfortable and I shoot just fine with them. They do take a little getting used to at first but it generally doesn't take long.

Quoted:
Is it possible to get a cheek weld with any of those or are they all sitting pretty high?

Chinweld is a more realistic description but as I mentioned above it really doesn't take long to get used to. Using the RS Regulate mount that I show with the PK23 (Horse's mount) puts the optic extremely low, most Western shooters like it from the feedback I have seen.

Z
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent as always TX.  Should get a sticky in the optics section so it does not disappear into the archives as often happens with our reviews.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting thought...I just 'reported' myself, maybe they'll have mercy and sticky this like you suggested

Z
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope you get PK01AA soon and do a review on it. I've been interested in picking one up. Seems like it should sit fairly low and be a comfortable optic for cheek weld.

As always, excellent pics and review!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I second making this a tacked thread.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a PK-01V that takes the 2 AAA batteries and is centered directly over the reciever top-cover. It allows to cowitness the iron sights. Very similar to an aimpoint comp m2 but cheaper made. Out of all the Russian sights, it is the most ergonomically useable (you don't have to have a "chin weld" like on a Kobra)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice scope selection.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool post! I have a PK-AS and love it. BTW where did you get the fall colored camo jacket? I really like that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a PK-01V that takes the 2 AAA batteries and is centered directly over the reciever top-cover. It allows to cowitness the iron sights. Very similar to an aimpoint comp m2 but cheaper made. Out of all the Russian sights, it is the most ergonomically useable (you don't have to have a "chin weld" like on a Kobra)

That sounds like something I'd be interested in.  Can you post a link to where you found it?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, its about damn time you posted an Optics Reference Guide.

If you have any information about what Russian units use which particular optics, it would be a nice addition to what you already have.
Is Kalinka Optics the main source for these optics?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the write up
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like something I'd be interested in.  Can you post a link to where you found it?

Eastwave optics about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#18]
PK 01 30mm mount with an Aimpoint ML3. Sits very low, co-witnesses with the irons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#19]
awesome pics.great job!

I have been admiring the SL12.........Damn!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Added NIT-A pics
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#21]
thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent stuff as always Zen. Your posts always make me jealous.

Just to stir the pot a little, which one is your personal favorite as far as comfort/utility are concerned?
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#23]
As always, an amazing and informative writeup. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just to stir the pot a little, which one is your personal favorite as far as comfort/utility are concerned?

Overall it's still the Rakurs, at least as far as practicality goes. Obzor is might be able to take over though...it's really neat and the more I use it the more I like it.

I have a soft spot for the plane old PK-A and over the years I've gotten a lot of miles out of the PK-AS which had been my favorite for a long time before Rakurs.

Quoted:
As always, an amazing and informative writeup. Thank you.

Thanks!

Z

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice post. i didnt realize they had so many different red dots. thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome collection of optics. Which ones do you feel are the best overall? I do like the newer PK01V type only because you can also use the mount itself with a standard Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I FINALLY found this thread.  I've been hunting it again for a while...

I've fretted for some time on chaning from the Ultimak/PA or T1 set up as I've struggled with all that forward weight.

Today I fretted on the Rakurs and the Ozbor.  I went Rakurs over PK-AS or Ozbor because the Rakurs is over the bore and uses no batteries.  I like PK-AS as it works without batteries...but it's offset a bit and I didn't know how I'd like it.  I love the look of the Ozbor and Liquid Metal recommended it...but it seems to sit nearly an inch higher.

Something tells me I'll own more than one....
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
There's really no way to avoid owning just one IMO

Obzor is a good choice too, LM recommended it years ago and I should have bought one back then but was tied up on other projects. I really like mine now that I have it.

Rakurs is still the best overall to me...but Obzor is closing the gap really quick because of the interesting and easy to acquire reticule

A few new ones added

PK01-V

PK01-VM

Z
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Zen, I think you should consider trying to write an article for the next G&A Book of the AK. Similar to Doug Ford's series on night optics.

That just popped into my head the other day. These optics are readily available, but aside from what you post about them, there doesn't seem to be a whole huge wealth of knowldege out there.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Shame on you TX...why didn't you tell me the PK-AA was available.  

Did you get it from Eastwave?  The VM is new to me.  Looks like the VS but different.  Of course, I am going to need some in depth reviews please!
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shame on you TX...why didn't you tell me the PK-AA was available.  

Did you get it from Eastwave?  The VM is new to me.  Looks like the VS but different.  Of course, I am going to need some in depth reviews please!

I didn't say anything because I didn't know they were here myself... and when the offer was made there was only one other which was already paid for. I believe one of our friends from TOS made the deal happen with our favorite crack dealer.

I did ask and confirmed there will be a couple more coming, FWIW I made sure you were next on the list.

Z
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Regarding the Rakurs, how do you replace the tritium illumination after it fades out?
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I think Rakurs would be relatively 'field' replaceable, I'm pretty sure this is the cartridge with the white sealant here on the bottom:

Obzor I'm not sure about yet. Could be this round plate with 2 screws:

Or this square plate

Then again there's another square plate on the bottom with 4 screws, and then 4 other screws that secure something to something. It really is like a UFO

I know McNee229 from theakforum.net was able to fabricate a replacement cartridge and obtain the tritium vial for my 1P29 to get it relit which is really cool.

He has considerable skill, it might be possible to have these relit at some point.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#34]
few photos and video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTv0ixX3gYM&list=UUQ48wx-RTZd8CiKdVBIhNTQ&index=4&feature=plcp

http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/100/590781-5.html
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top