Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/31/2011 12:01:32 PM EDT
I nabbed a SAR-1got a few questions... Mainly Is the pistol grip correct? I mean is it Romanian? What would be the correct sling for the Sar-1?

The stock and forearm appear to be correct as I had a hell of a time removing it from the gun and it looks as there has been no other attempts at removing it. All I did was some light sanding to smooth out the stock a tad as i wanted to keep it with a little character... The stock and forearm has some crazy road rash it appears on both sides. I put a coat of Tru Oil on it to preserve the wood use and my hands from splinters lol

As im sure I'll get a these questions... Yes the barrel is threaded. No it does not have a Bayonet lug (sucks). and yes its all #'s matching.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks Great, and yes everything looks Romanian but the pistol grip has a Polish look to it. It may just be the way the pics look on my screen and my old eyes.

edit to add, I looked again and the pistol grip looks Romy too!

The Romanian sling is green nylon,

http://www.keepshooting.com/european-style-ak-47-sling.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Every SAR-1 I have seen has a black nylon/plastic grip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

true but he's looking for correct romanian, the black pistol grip is a cheap US made piece put on by Century
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

true but he's looking for correct romanian, the black pistol grip is a cheap US made piece put on by Century

Exactly! I've added more US parts than needed to stay compliant  so I can keep that true Romanian look.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Grip looks Romanian to me,put might be Polish.
I've got alot of Romie grips and all are darker then that one.
You dropped 1 US part going to the grip,and added another part
by having a threaded muzzle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Grip looks Romanian to me,put might be Polish.
I've got alot of Romie grips and all are darker then that one.
You dropped 1 US part going to the grip,and added another part
by having a threaded muzzle.

I thought the same thing it's close enough in color I suppose :/

As for the threaded muzzle, yep that did help me on my compliance count.

Now just to locate a sling :) and maybe a grip thats a shade darker lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Me personally, I'm not a big fan of the old SAR series Romanian slings.  They were a bright green color and the keeper was big and fat and the same color.  I would pick up a Bulgarian OD green or Russian khaki sling for it.  They're not that expensive.  $20.00 or so from K-VAR.

Bulgarian is Out of Stock

Bulgarian OD

Russian Khaki
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Not original, but this what my SAR-1 looks like these days

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep that grip looks Polish. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Polish grip on a Romanian rifle makes me

Anyone have a Romy grip laying in a parts bin?

ETA... While I was getting my goggle on I ran across THIS site which is stuffed full of info. I thought I would share. Enjoy :)

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA... While I was getting my goggle on I ran across THIS site which is stuffed full of info. I thought I would share. Enjoy :)

You can put a Romy grip on the gun, but then you would be short a US part
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can put a Romy grip on the gun, but then you would be short a US part

no I wouldn't I have 2 more compliance parts than i need. The grip on there now is not US made. The SAR now has a threaded barrel which it didn't when it was produced and the slant brake counts as 1 part. that's mentioned in this thread some where... Good looking out though

Quoted:
$5 at Apex

Thank you sir!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top