Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2011 2:50:02 PM EDT
Does anybody have any experience with the new-ish AK Battlecomp? I have the 5.56 model for my AR and am wondering if it works just as well for the AK platform (7.62 x 39).

http://battlecomp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=34

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
for the price you can get 3 manticore nightbrakes from ratworx. they have the same performance and are shorter fwiw
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
for the price you can get 3 manticore nightbrakes from ratworx. they have the same performance and are shorter fwiw

That looks like an interesting option, however, it states it is for 24mm threads and my AK has 14mm LH threads.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks like an interesting option, however, it states it is for 24mm threads and my AK has 14mm LH threads.

A 14 to 24mm thread adapter and that problem can be solved quickly!

Link Posted: 7/25/2011 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 14 to 24mm thread adapter and that problem can be solved quickly!

That might do the trick then. I see that the adapter has holes for the locking plunger to engage, but since the 24mm comp has a larger diameter, will the plunger still effectively engage the compensator as well?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the plunger will engage both parts.  We actually were running a NightBrake on my Yugo M70 just last Wed. with a 14mm to 24mm adapter.

My recommendation is try out the brake with the adapter on the rifle, and if you are satisfied use a drop or two of blue loctite (red if you want it really permanent) on the 24mm threads.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Primary Weapons Systems FSC47 and SureFire FH762K02 are 2 other high-end muzzle devices for the AKM in 14mmLH.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Hahahahaha!

The price!

hahahahahaha!!!

190 units in stock.

The price!!!!

hahahahahaha!!!!!!

I thought $65 for my Krebbs brake was OUTRAGEOUS.  

the price, the price....hahahaha
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
At $219 I will pass. The BC is a good brake on my AR. It is  not the best brake or best FS but a fair combination of both. I think the BC is overpriced  for the AR too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
$219?????? wtf were they thinking???
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Price aside (they have a really good MIL discount) has anyone used one on an AK47?

Or, can more people that have used the Nightbrake mentioned earlier give their input?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$219?????? wtf were they thinking???

Probably "Hey, all these guys are spending the ridiculous amount we ask for our 5.56 brakes which are basically A2's with holes drilled in them, I bet you they'll pay more if we make them in a different thread pattern and open the exit hole up a bit! Thank you P.T. Barnum!"

ETA: Well would ya look at that, it's on sale! I wonder why?

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh.......no it says "threaded 14x1 LH"
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh.......no it says "threaded 14x1 LH"

He is referring to the NightBrake, which is indeed made for 24mm threads.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Price aside (they have a really good MIL discount) has anyone used one on an AK47?

Or, can more people that have used the Nightbrake mentioned earlier give their input?

The AKBC works as advertised.  It decreases felt  recoil as well as an AK-74 style, PWS, or any other style brake I've tried without the annoying concussive blast and night blinding muzzle flash.  It's expensive because of the material it's made of, precipitation hardened stainless steel and the machine time it takes to make it.   It is not a modified A2 style brake.  Anyone that says that does not know what the hell they're talking about.  I'm sure the insane taxes and regulations BC has due to being located in San Francisco, CA have a little something to do with the price as well.  That said, I ain't paid anywhere near retail for the four Battle Comps I have.  The Swap Meet is your friend.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AKBC works as advertised.  It decreases felt  recoil as well as an AK-74 style, PWS, or any other style brake I've tried without the annoying concussive blast and night blinding muzzle flash.  It's expensive because of the material it's made of, precipitation hardened stainless steel and the machine time it takes to make it.   It is not a modified A2 style brake.  Anyone that says that does not know what the hell they're talking about.  I'm sure the insane taxes and regulations BC has due to being located in San Francisco, CA have a little something to do with the price as well.  That said, I ain't paid anywhere near retail for the four Battle Comps I have.  The Swap Meet is your friend.

Haha, well I've handled more than a few, and yes, they're basically A2's with slots. And there was still plenty of concussive blast coming from the SBR with it on almost as much as my MB556K.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol.. an A2 with slots... Really?
They work as advertised. I've replaced all my PWS Brakes with BC's..
The AKBC's are worth the money with half the concussion of the PWS and equal or better muzzle control they are a winner in my book..

CXS

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My AK with PWS..

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248506_1388412007565_1750040153_654886_6106376_n.jpg

CXS

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#18]
It really doesn't matter how well it works. The price is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It really doesn't matter how well it works. The price is ridiculous.

Compared to the Knight brake that Costa runs, it's a bargain!
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My AK with PWS..

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248506_1388412007565_1750040153_654886_6106376_n.jpg

CXS

CXS, there are better ways to clean under your deck.

Unfortunately, I think most people will be discouraged by the price. Maybe some video reviews/comparisons might sway people.

-REad
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My AK with PWS..

CXS

CXS, there are better ways to clean under your deck.

Unfortunately, I think most people will be discouraged by the price. Maybe some video reviews/comparisons might sway people.

-REad

I can't think of any better way to clean under a deck. Sure other ways might be more thorough, but that way offers a way better experience.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
A guy in the AK pistol forum just posted his Mini Draco with a Battlecomp on it. If I were to buy another high-end AK brake I would get the PWS.

With that said, someone really, really needs to do a side-by-side comparison with the Battlecomp, PWS, some CNC Warriors, and a variety of Commie brakes and put them to the test to keep the speculation out of threads like these. If the $200 Battlecomp is really that much better than the competition, I'd consider one. If it's no better than a $100 PWS FSC47 then I'd buy a PWS. If none of them are significantly better than my $15 Com-Bloc stuff, then I'd be real content with what I have.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, well I've handled more than a few, and yes, they're basically A2's with slots. And there was still plenty of concussive blast coming from the SBR with it on almost as much as my MB556K.

Anyone with a functioning eyesight can see the pretty significant differences between the A2 and a Battle Comp.   A2's don't have an expansion chamber that can only be machined by an EDM.  As someone claiming to be a Marine Corps armorer you should be able to readily discern that.   If you truly are an armorer I sincerely hope you pay a hell of a lot more attention to your work.

The only thing that will reduce the muzzle blast of any rifle, especially a SBR is, a suppressor there genius.  Most muzzle brakes focus and redirect a lot of that muzzle blast to the rear and sides of the rifle.  This focused and directed blast damages hearing and fatigues the shooter and other people near by very quickly. The BC does not redirect the muzzle blast into rearward focused jets like the PWS or SF brakes.  Battle Comps diffuse the muzzle blast through all those tiny little ports and the muzzle blast is a little louder than what you get with no muzzle device or flash hider like an A2 or a Vortex.  

Shoot your SF MB556k braked carbine at night and I'll shoot my BC equipped M4.  You won't be able to see a anything after the first round.  I, on the other hand, will be able to see just fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Great video. It looks like the FSC47 did almost as well as the AK BC. Not bad for less than half the price.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Thanks for the video, that's exactly what I was looking for. Looks like the AKBC did best and it definitely looks better than the FSC.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My AK with PWS..

CXS

So the AKBC does not kick up any dust/debris when fired close to the ground?
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone with a functioning eyesight can see the pretty significant differences between the A2 and a Battle Comp.   A2's don't have an expansion chamber that can only be machined by an EDM.  As someone claiming to be a Marine Corps armorer you should be able to readily discern that.   If you truly are an armorer I sincerely hope you pay a hell of a lot more attention to your work.

The only thing that will reduce the muzzle blast of any rifle, especially a SBR is, a suppressor there genius.  Most muzzle brakes focus and redirect a lot of that muzzle blast to the rear and sides of the rifle.  This focused and directed blast damages hearing and fatigues the shooter and other people near by very quickly. The BC does not redirect the muzzle blast into rearward focused jets like the PWS or SF brakes.  Battle Comps diffuse the muzzle blast through all those tiny little ports and the muzzle blast is a little louder than what you get with no muzzle device or flash hider like an A2 or a Vortex.  

Shoot your SF MB556k braked carbine at night and I'll shoot my BC equipped M4.  You won't be able to see a anything after the first round.  I, on the other hand, will be able to see just fine.

Butthurt much? I can tell you're a real classy fellow. I've shot my MB556k at night just fine, and I didn't even trip over anything after. Have a great day, hope you feel better.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My AK with PWS..

CXS

So the AKBC does not kick up any dust/debris when fired close to the ground?

No, it'll kick up stuff like any closed bottom brake or flash hider(e.g. A2, Phantom, etc....).
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Butthurt much? I can tell you're a real classy fellow. I've shot my MB556k at night just fine, and I didn't even trip over anything after. Have a great day, hope you feel better.

If you are shooting at night, shouldn't you be identifying your target with a white light? And if that is the case, who gives a shit about muzzle flash?

Now, using night vision may change things up a bit, but as a civilian, why are you shooting at night with night vision on? Certainly not for self defense.

If you are not a civilian, than a Battle Comp is probably not even an option.

So really, if you are a hobbyist who likes to have the "best" device in theory, but not in practice, and have a lot of extra $ to spend, then the Battle Comp is an excellent option.

Besides, all of the AK74 variants in service right now have brakes that produce glorious fireballs, and seem to work just fine
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I've tried the BC a while back. I read the glowing (Koolaid) reviews on TOS and thought this might be the way to go for an AR build. I was wrong...I quickly sold it thereafter. Not worth the $ IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you are shooting at night, shouldn't you be identifying your target with a white light? And if that is the case, who gives a shit about muzzle flash?  

Now, using night vision may change things up a bit, but as a civilian, why are you shooting at night with night vision on? Certainly not for self defense.

If you are not a civilian, than a Battle Comp is probably not even an option.

So really, if you are a hobbyist who likes to have the "best" device in theory, but not in practice, and have a lot of extra $ to spend, then the Battle Comp is an excellent option.

Besides, all of the AK74 variants in service right now have brakes that produce glorious fireballs, and seem to work just fine

I hunt feral hogs with thermal, NV, & IR lasers.  If you use white lights you ain't gonna kill more than one or two before the sounder of hogs scatters.  With NV & IR you can usually get 3-4 at a time and then move, reacquire the sounder and repeat the process.  A device, like the Battle Comp, that lets me shoot faster and more accurately without a lot of nasty flash and concussion is a welcome addition.  That's not theory.  That's fewer hogs out there destroying ACRES of peanuts or corn in a night.  Before you pipe up about suppressors it's illegal to hunt with one in my state.  If they catch you with one you will not get it back.  You also don't want to get caught with a weapon light with a 6 volt or higher power source during deer season either.

As far as using NV in a defensive situation think about how stupid it is to turn on a white light when confronting multiple armed poachers, thieves, or meth heads by yourself or with one neighbor on a rural farm by your self at night when there's only two deputies on duty for the whole county and their average response time is 20-60 minutes.  I've found that a voice from the darkness that lets them know you can see them and exactly what their doing tends to scare the living hell out of folks and they are more receptive to suggestions to cease and desist.

Best device in theory vs. reality?  Did you not watch the video CXS posted with Travis Haley?  Guess which muzzle device he did the best with.  And one of the benefits of using the BC is that it doesn't make big fireballs like your -74 brake.  Next time read the whole thread before jumping in.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top