Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2011 8:38:47 PM EDT
I got my Waffen Werks AK-54R rifle last April 2011,  directly from Waffen Werks and shot approximately 700 rounds of the Surplus 7.62x54r mm Rimmed Russian 148 Grain Full Metal Jacket Ammunition.  The Waffen Werks AK-54R shoots really great.  I'm surprised that the recoil isn't too bad.  Very accurate at 100 yards with just the iron sights.   Since I just added a scope,  I will try for 150-200 yards the next time I head to the shoot range.  

At first,  I was gonna purchase the AK-54R through Atlantic Firearms for $839 but they SOLD OUT .  Same with Centerfire Systems ALL SOLD OUT.    I emailed Centerfire Systems and asked if they plan to order anymore.  Centerfire Systems got back with me and said that Waffen Werks don't make the AK-54R anymore.  So, I called Waffen Werks directly and talked to Mark Rogers "Waffen Werks sales manager."  Mark mentioned that people has been calling Waffen Werks asking about the AK-54R.  Mark told me that Waffen Werks is currently making AK-74's "at this time" and Waffen Werks has no plans to start any production of the AK-54R rifle for another 4-6 months or maybe a year.  

During my conversation with Mark, Mark mentioned that Waffen Werks has been taking order request from customers who are interested on the AK-54R.  So, I put in my order request and gave Waffen Werks my name and phone number.  

A week and a half later after I put in my order request for the AK-54R.  Mark called me and told me that Waffen Werks have a limited amount of PSL receivers, barrels and parts to build and sell the AK-54R to the customers who called and put in for the order request.   Mark asked me if I was still interested on the AK-54R rifle.  I said "YES."  

A week later, Mark called me and told me that my AK-54R rifle is done and asks me what color furniture I would like on it.  I choose the Plum Red.  Then another week later I received it.   Since I purchased it directly from Waffen Werks,  Waffen Werks sold the AK-54R rifle to me for $630.  It's $209 CHEAPER than what Atlantic Fire Arms and Centerfire Systems is selling it for.  

So far, I’ve added a PWS AK-FSC47 Tactical Compensator,  Volzhsk AK Slip-On Buttpad , AK-47 Buffer Pad, Blackhawk Cheek Pad, Original BP-02 SVD, PSL, Tigr Low Profile Centered Side Mount to Weaver Rail by Kalinka Optics and a Simmons scope.

If you want to get a AK-54R rifle, I would recommend calling Waffen Werks directly (865) 474-9702.  You can talk to Mark Rogers or Stefni.  Tell them that you are interested in the AK-54R rifle and you want to purchase it from them directly.  I think that once Waffen Werks have enough people on their AK-54R list, Waffen Werks will start making a limited number of AK-54R's for those who are interested on purchasing it directly from them.  Mark and Stefni are awesome.  They helped me and answered all my questions about the AK-54R.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

UPDATE: 07/05/2011 (Range Report)

Shot the Waffen Werks AK-54r today at 200 meters / 219 yards. Put in 20 rounds. The last two photos are of the shooting range and target.  On the range photo,  you can't hardly see the targets (center) at 200 meters or 219 yards.  The 3 plywood boards on the right side of the photo are at 100 yards.  I shot the Waffen Werks AK-54r at the 200 meter / 219 yard target.   It's very accurate with the scope. I just need to control my breathing and trigger pull just a little.   Other than that, IT SHOOTS AWESOME!!!  

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_0433.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_0441.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_0497.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_0493.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_0352.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/photo01.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/photo02-1.jpg

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

01/30/2012

Here is my PSL project that I've been working on for 5 months.  It's finally finished!  I plan to install a Versa Bipod next!  So far,  I've installed a DsmLab SVD to PSL handguard adaptor kit,  (Airsoft) SVD Dragunov Handguards, SVD Dragunov style flash hider,  Izhmash SVD Dragunov ajustable butt stock from Black Horse Arsenal and a Versa Pod Bipod.

Thanks to Jerry Hunt of Black Horse Arsenal for introducing me to the Izhmash SVD Dragunov Butt Stock.  If any of you who are interested on the Izhmash SVD Dragunov Butt Stock,  contact Jerry Hunt of Black Horse Arsenal.  Jerry is a great person to know and will help you out.   The Butt Stock is available for both the PSL ROMAK and NODAK receivers.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_10962.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/islandfocus2/DSC_1097.jpg
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Upload the photo to: http://tinypic.com/

You don't even have to create an account (although it makes finding your photos easier).

Then copy the Forum link from the tinypic page and paste it here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Since I purchased it directly from Waffen Werks, Waffen Werks sold the AK-54R rifle to me for $630. It's $209 CHEAPER than Atlantic Fire Arms and Centerfire Systems prices.

Nicely done.

Link Posted: 6/8/2011 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#3]
It works!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, super nice gun. Some may not understand why, but I do.

I am kinda hosed by the ranges I shoot at, or I would be all over one of these.

One range doesn't allow steel anything ammo, case included. The other doesn't allow any FMJ centerfire ammo from rifles (including pistol caliber carbines). Which pretty much makes shooting 54R a pita for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your comment!  We have a nice outdoor range here.  Every once in awhile I see somesone shooting a 50cal Barrett.  Tracer rounds are the only rounds that is not allowed in the shooting range.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to see some groups.

Does it have much fireball?
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The groupings are about 2-5 inches from the center of the target at 100 yards with just the iron sights.  It's very accurate.  The next time I go to the range, I will save the targets and post a picture of it.

I have never shot the AK-54R with the original Romanian compensator that it came with.  I can imagine it would be a big fireball.  I installed the PWS AK-FSC47 the first day I received the AK-54R.  I had a couple of my friends shoot the AK-54R at the range and I never noticed a fireball.  I was actually observing the PWS AK-FSC47 comp/flash hider.  It really works!  Well, it better work!  Since I paid $89 for that thing!!!  lol...
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
What model rifle is it? I don't think you mentioned it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#10]
@ Beltfedleadhead -  I did mention it..  It's a AK-54R made by Waffen Werks in Knoxville, TN.  This is a short barrel version of the Romanian (Romak III),  PSL-54C that takes AKM furniture.  Here is the discription of the AK-54R that I got from Atlantic Firearms:

Waffen Werks AK 54 R Dragunov Style Carbine rifle in the powerful 7.62 x 54r cartridge. The AK-54R rifles are built upon Category 1 (nice, minty, un issued) Romanian PSL rifle parts kits, using a special receiver that allows for the use of regular AKM type butt stocks and pistol grips. They also feature a correct, and fully functional, scope mount, installed on the left side of the receiver . The barrel is shortened to 16.5 inches, and is re-profiled, allowing the gas block and handguard retainer to be moved rearward, so that standard AKM length gas pistons (we use a Tapco stainless unit, which provides an extra 922r compliance part) and standard AKM type handguards can be used! The idea is simply to give the end user an AKM sized package that delivers the powerful punch of the 7.62x54R cartridge. This initial batch of rifles will feature a non-pinned Romanian PSL muzzle device, on 14x1 LH threads, K-VAR synthetic furniture, in plum, beautiful gun kote finish .

Atlantic Firearms Website:  http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct886.aspx
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

@ Beltfedleadhead -  I did mention it.

I know. About 87 times, I think.

Nice gun. I'd love one if they made 30rd mags for it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL.. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Those are neat..........too bad nobody makes hi cap mags for them
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Believe it when I tell you that 10 rounds of 7.62x54R is plenty. Because it is a rimed case and has to index in front of the rim behind it a drum mag would be the only way to hi cap one of these. Despite their looks the rifle can not be emptied like a AK. The recoil, blast, barrel heat, and length of stroke are all together a different experience. Don't let the looks fool you. These rifles are like owning a semi 7 mm mag.

7.62x54R
140gr projectile- 2840 - 2900fps depending.  Monster powerful they are.

9.7 g (150 gr) FMJ865 m/s (2,840 ft/s)3,629 J (2,677 ft·lbf)

7mm Rem mag
150 gr (9.7 g) Soft Point [3]3,110 ft/s (950 m/s)3,221 ft·lbf (4,367 J)
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Soo much want in this thread
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 7.62x54R barrel for my Bren, and it feeds just fine. You can only get about 10rds into a 30rd mag, though, because the 54R has a bit different geometry. I suppose you could modify them to feed the 54R AK, but you'd need a new spring, since they're not designed to feed upwards. Probably a different follower, too.

Might be worth looking into, since Bren mags are super cheap for some reason.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe it when I tell you that 10 rounds of 7.62x54R is plenty. Because it is a rimed case and has to index in front of the rim behind it a drum mag would be the only way to hi cap one of these.

Somebody better go back in time and tell the designers of the Bren, MG-30 (8x56R version), Finnish M/26, Kel-Tec PMR-30, and CZ-82 (in .32 ACP), and AVS-36.

Rimmed cartridges have no feeding problems, it's all magazine geometry and common sense in loading.
However, Hi Cap mags for the PSL MAY open the 922r can of worms.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Let's stop .

Stamped receivers with a narrow feed face, and slim bolt profile.

The AK-54 is 8 lbs unloaded
The PSL is 9.3 lbs UL
- Both are rated at 30 rounds of sustained fire per minute-
-designed as a single operator, aimed fire, support, small arm. -

Comrade....

Compared to your medium MG examples.

A crew served, milled receiver, fortified bolt- having generous feed faces and heavy barrels.

The Bren - a three man served gun-  at 22.83 lbs. A sustained rate of fire at 120 rpm.

The MG/30- again 3 man served- 27 lbs. Sustained rate at 160

The m/26 lahti- now only two man gun- at 16.8 lbs unloaded. Sustained rate of 160/200

It is my informed assertion that the AK-54 & PSL would in no way be improved with a severely curved over sprung 20 round aftermarket magazine. The heat build up from dumping 20 rounds would be so severe that the weapon would be near useless at the next reload. The barrels, action, and furniture would fold in the role of a battle rifle.  (I have moded a PSL to the same dimensions)

This is not a thread hijack: The AK-54 is a beautiful weapon. OP. Yours is sweet.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe it when I tell you that 10 rounds of 7.62x54R is plenty. Because it is a rimed case and has to index in front of the rim behind it a drum mag would be the only way to hi cap one of these.

Somebody better go back in time and tell the designers of the Bren, MG-30 (8x56R version), Finnish M/26, Kel-Tec PMR-30, and CZ-82 (in .32 ACP), and AVS-36.

Rimmed cartridges have no feeding problems, it's all magazine geometry and common sense in loading.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#21]
But but but.......how about a 15 round magazine? Just 15? Please?
I'd settle for 15 ya know...

The company that took over ORF managed to make a hi-cap mag for the 8mm M76, I'd like to see them try something similar with the PSL.

Quoted:
Let's stop .

Stamped receivers with a narrow feed face, and slim bolt profile.

The AK-54 is 8 lbs unloaded
The PSL is 9.3 lbs UL
- Both are rated at 30 rounds of sustained fire per minute-
-designed as a single operator, aimed fire, support, small arm. -

Comrade....

Compared to your medium MG examples.

A crew served, milled receiver, fortified bolt- having generous feed faces and heavy barrels.

The Bren - a three man served gun-  at 22.83 lbs. A sustained rate of fire at 120 rpm.

The MG/30- again 3 man served- 27 lbs. Sustained rate at 160

The m/26 lahti- now only two man gun- at 16.8 lbs unloaded. Sustained rate of 160/200

It is my informed assertion that the AK-54 & PSL would in no way be improved with a severely curved over sprung 20 round aftermarket magazine. The heat build up from dumping 20 rounds would be so severe that the weapon would be near useless at the next reload. The barrels, action, and furniture would fold in the role of a battle rifle.  (I have moded a PSL to the same dimensions)

This is not a thread hijack: The AK-54 is a beautiful weapon. OP. Yours is sweet.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#22]
A jump off thread so we can leave the OP alone to build the thread he intended.
Hi cap mags
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Oops, read the entire thread. Will leave the Lahti mag out of this.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#24]
After reading this post, I was encouraged to believe that WW might actually be responsive to cranking out an additional AK-54 - or two.  I have a large quantity of  7.62x54 light ball and several bolt guns in this caliber and am looking for a semi auto in this caliber as well.  I called and e-mailed WW, only to get the following reply from "WW:

Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 12:14 PM
To: xxxxx
Subject: Re: AK-54

xxxx,

We can't take orders as this time for the 54r's we have no ideal when we will start producing these again, probably not for another year or so.
When ever we start I will e-mail you and let you know.

To which I replied, as follows (cc: Atlantic Firearms –– why don't the take this product OFF their website?????) –– I realize there are numerous grammatical errors in the reply –– I was under the gun (not literally) on a work project and hurriedly composed it:
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
 Thank You

I appreciate the reply.

I’m not in the gun business, but I do understand supply and demand.  You are one of at least 10 U.S. companies producing an AK-74.  To my knowledge, you are the ONLY company producing an    AK-54.  Russo 7.62.x54 is plentiful and trades at round 18 cents a around.  Milsurp .308 is not that plentiful and trades at about double that (DAG and Greenway when you can find it).   If I knew how to build at semi-auto in 7.62x54, that’s where I put employing my capital.

Assuming they start coming in and are at a decent price point, the VEPR’s in x54 will undoubtedly do very well.

Thanks again.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Epilogue:  We "gun nuts" love shooting and are always looking for ways to get the most bang for the buck. S&W and Adams Arms stepped up and produced AR uppers in 5.45 to take advantage of decent ammo at good prices.  Russo x54 ammo is the best deal going on .30 caliber ammo, yet there is virtually nothing in current production (semi-auto) to accommodate demand. (remainder cut off)
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
That SUCKS to hear that Waffen Werks is not taking anymore request for the AK-54Rr rifle.  I guess I was one of the LUCKY few customers who received a call back and bought an AK-54R rifle from Waffen Werks almost 5 months ago.  I hope that WW will very soon again start production of the AK-54R.  I have several friends who are also intrested on purchasing this rifle.  The AK-54R shoots nice.  Love this rifle!
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#26]
This sucks, i kinda wanted one
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder who else makes the AK-54R.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#28]
OTOH I am mildly relieved these aren't available for sale. I have zero use for it, but want one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope Waffen Werks starts producing this awesome rifle.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I built one myself - set out to make a clone of a romy-G.

It's a really fun gun to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Very NICE!  They are very fun to shoot.  I just received 880 rounds of 7.62x54r Surplus rounds from SGAmmo.com.  I got it for $165 S/H included.  2 sealed spam cans!
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#33]
If only i knew how to build AK's or had the tools

If i could only snap my fingers and turn my PSL into an AK-54...
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#35]

The folding stock started life as a standard Romanian push button folder.
I took it apart made a teardrop cheek riser, welded it on, and painted and wrapped it for comfort.
The PSL has a deeper trunion than a standard AK, so I made the reciever insert 2/3 inch the longer, and ground it to fit below the trunion support, leaving room to cut a cube for the pistol grip insert.

Put it all back together, and it worked.

$50 for the folder. Some para cord, and a good eye. It is not hard to do. Think of the PSL as a large AK like a SAIGA (SP), and you have to fit a PG after moving the trigger guard.

Clear as mud? Play with the folding stock and the PSL and the issue will become clear.

The critical part:
The reciever insert has to go in that deep to get the ridgid support to absorb recoil evenly.

The comfort part is the cheek piece.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#36]
VERY NICE JOB!  Thanks for sharing!  I'm glad that I'm not the only one who owns a short PSL.  Awesome!  Keep the pictures coming!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I want two of these, I'll e-mail them even if they're not taking orders at this time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]
That's a good idea.  Even though I already have one.  I want another one.  I'll ask Waffen Werks if they can make me one with a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#40]
So, who is organizing the group purchase?
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#42]
The tripod is made by "Vanguard."  You can get it at amazon.com.  Here is the direct weblink: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034361BC.   It works really good!
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#43]
There are no more FPK kits coming in to build the rifles off of. Trying to get kits imported is tough now. If you do, you have to have the barrel chopped. So that means a US made barrel. That equals an increase in cost that is passed onto the consumer.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The tripod is made by "Vanguard."  You can get it at amazon.com.  Here is the direct weblink: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034361BC.   It works really good!

thats awesome! thanks!

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#46]
No problem.  Enjoy!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#48]
What kit is needed as a base to build one of these?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#49]
PSL kit
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Update range report 07/05/2011.  See pictures. Shoots like a champ!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top