Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2011 7:29:49 AM EDT
I have a Romanian RPK that had the bi-pod removed.  

I just located a new bi-pod and am interested in putting it on.

It looks pretty simple .......... knock out two pins.....pull off sight.....push bi-pod on...then sight......then knock in the two pins = success!!!

I just want to make sure is that simple prior to messing up my rifle, you know "look before I leap!!"

Thanks for the help, in advance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
That's the basics of it. Sometimes though the whole part about pulling the sight off means using a gear puller and some creativity or a hammer or something. Same with installation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
AK front sights are not just "pulled off".
The sights are pressed on at the factory and are almost always pressed on TIGHT.  The pins are just insurance, the tight pressed fit is what keeps it in place.  They don't intend for the sight to move or come off under hard combat conditions.

To remove the sight, you drive out the pins, then use a large shop press or some kind of strong puller device.
Driving a sight off is "iffy" and can damage the sight due to the tight fit.  If you drive the sight off you can usually expect at least some battering of the sight and barrel.

Think this through before you start, and have the needed press or puller tooling handy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Be careful. You can kill your barrel if you aren't.

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to add some heat to the front sight prior to taking it off.  When you put it back on a little anti-seize lube (applied liberally to the sight and barrel) will make things easier.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top