Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2011 2:42:37 PM EDT
This is the rifle that Atlantic Firearms offers HERE

Now i know everyone has bad things to say about Red Jacket because of their TV show Sons of Guns but as far as their product goes i doubt those who make negative comments never handled one of their weapons.

This is not one of those strange custom fancy jobs they do. This is a plain AK. Incase you are too lazy to click the link here is what is said under AF.com

Red Jacket AK 47 Rifle Polish Folder , 762 x 39 semi auto rifle built using original imported Polish AK 47 part kits and US parts . They have a very durable finish and are backed up by Red Jackets lifetime warranty . Comes with 1 - 30 round mag and padded rifle hard case.

Lifetime warranty
16 inch chrome lined barrel
Bayonet lug
High quality No Dak Spud Receiver
G2 Fire control
Gun Cote finish
Original wood rated NRA Good
Under folder stock set
1- 30 Round mag
Padded rifle hard case

First thing i noticed is the finish. Its not your typical WASR park job. The Gun Cote finish looks great and they really did a good job on that. I dont see any flaws or blemishes so far. You cant really tell in the pictures below how much better the finish is compared to the WASR but in person you can.It functions dry just perfectly. Doesnt hang up in the rear and is smooth as all hell. NO mag wobble what so ever. No cant in the sight and no twists. Gas tube takedown lever was nice and smooth. Tapco trigger is great.

The wood handguards, according to Atlantic which are the originals, seem to be pretty nice for what they were. There were a few dings and dents but nothing major. They had a little miles and it seems to add a nice touch to the rifle. Have not really decided yet but im most likely going to be replacing them anyway so its not a big deal.

All in all, i am a very happy customer from both RJ and AF. Atlantic Firearms was a quick, fast and easy transaction and i recommend them to anyone. No problems what so ever. I also recomment RJ if anyone is looking for an UF. I could not ask for anything better.

Do not let some Hollywood bullshit on TV fool you

Pics from the "not so greatest in the world" camera:

RED JACKET logo under the trigger guard

Others for comparison

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it looks great and it's obviously a quality build, definitely reinforces my opinion on all the good I've heard about Red Jacket's work.

Nice write up. Your camera work is excellent too, nice job on that.

Z
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What Tx-Zen said...
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Do all of the numbered parts match?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Great looking AK.  I was looking at this exact rifle as I've been wanting to add another AK to the rifle collection.....trying to build up a little variety again now that money isn't so tight.  How is the lockup of the stock when unfolded?  Any up/down play?  Also, how are the sights?  Any canting at all?  Coming from RJ, I wouldn't think so, but I have to ask?  

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Great looking AK.  I was looking at this exact rifle as I've been wanting to add another AK to the rifle collection.....trying to build up a little variety again now that money isn't so tight.  How is the lockup of the stock when unfolded?  Any up/down play?  Also, how are the sights?  Any canting at all?  Coming from RJ, I wouldn't think so, but I have to ask?  

Hardly any play in the stock, very little. Sights are nice and straight
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Very Nice, I honestly didnt know they sold affordable guns. I might have to look into one, I've ben ooking for a good AK. Do they make full wood stock versions?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks pretty nice. I've always heard good things about Red Jacket AK's. Did Atlantic Firearms give you any trouble shipping to NJ?

BTW, the Canon Powershot A630 isn't a bad camera. With just a tripod and some decent lighting you'd be surprised the results you can get with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks pretty nice. I've always heard good things about Red Jacket AK's. Did Atlantic Firearms give you any trouble shipping to NJ?

BTW, the Canon Powershot A630 isn't a bad camera. With just a tripod and some decent lighting you'd be surprised the results you can get with it.

I didnt have it shipped to NJ. I had it shipped to my FFL/gunsmith in PA to pin the stock, shave the bayo and pin the brake. Then i picked it up later when it was done.

lol and how did you know i had an A630?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt have it shipped to NJ. I had it shipped to my FFL/gunsmith in PA to pin the stock, shave the bayo and pin the brake. Then i picked it up later when it was done.

Save the picture and look at the poperties. All pictures have data tied to them listing the camera and all the settings used to take the picture.

EDIT: Your exposure was WAY too long to get any clarity or sharpness.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cameras include the make and model in the EXIF data, along with a myriad of other information. As a side note to that, be careful if you ever take gun pics with a GPS enabled smartphone. Many of them tag the GPS location in the EXIF data and can be read by anyone viewing the picture.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save the picture and look at the poperties. All pictures have data tied to them listing the camera and all the settings used to take the picture.

EDIT: Your exposure was WAY too long to get any clarity or sharpness.

oh i see haha. Shit well i know nothing about taking pictures or cameras so i try my best to take multiple pics and post the best ones.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cameras include the make and model in the EXIF data, along with a myriad of other information. As a side note to that, be careful if you ever take gun pics with a GPS enabled smartphone. Many of them tag the GPS location in the EXIF data and can be read by anyone viewing the picture.

Thats kinda scary haha

But that doesnt really work for shit like facebook though because im pretty sure it doesnt save all that crap
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking build.  I think the only comment I'd make is that they could at least engrave selector stops.

I don't like the show and I think it reflects poorly on them, but they are obviously good AK builders.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice looking build.  I think the only comment I'd make is that they could at least engrave selector stops.

I don't like the show and I think it reflects poorly on them, but they are obviously good AK builders.  

Yeah this was a little strange at first, but isnt that all on NDS? Its not really an issue for me though
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah this was a little strange at first, but isnt that all on NDS? Its not really an issue for me though

Yeah they don't come with selector stops.  A lot of builders add them either as part of the build or for a small fee.  It's not a big deal, but given the quality of the build (which looks excellent) I expected to see them.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
i dont understand why Red Jacket would get a bad reputation from their show,

people come in and tell them what they want, and they build it.

what they DONT do, is argue like a bunch of bitches like the father and son biker builders. the Tuttle's ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

what they DONT do, is argue like a bunch of bitches like the father and son biker builders. the Tuttle's ?

They charge $2000 for an AR with UTG handguards on it. I believe they put UTG rails on the M16 mounted on the top of the car for that so called contractor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They charge $2000 for an AR with UTG handguards on it. I believe they put UTG rails on the M16 mounted on the top of the car for that so called contractor.

Its probably all bullshit, made up stories just like Pawn Stars. It's Hollywood and what people want to see is cool shit like that, not some guys sitting there stroking their tubes about which AR handguards are better than others. You might know the difference but the other 50 million viewers dont and thats why they do what they do. TV is TV and thats pretty much it.

EDIT: Also as far as there being full stock ones, they do have them but its not a standard AK. Its one of those RJ Customs.

According to Atlantic, they will be getting more stuff from them pretty soon as said HERE
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Great review, I actually saw your rifle at CDI  yesterday.  I was dropping off my AR for some work and Sean asked if I knew the show, "Sons of Guns"?  I said yes and rolled my eyes and we both laughed and he picked up the rifle he worked on for you and let me look it over.  While not being an expert, I was impressed with the fit and finish.  Very nice rifle for the money, now a days.  

Do you know more about the barrel?  I assume its a US barrel since Atlantic doesn't say that its original.  

Congrats on the new rifle, let us know how she shoots.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A lot of the keyboard commandos here are jealous and resort to ridicule and pointing out insignificant minor details in order to build themselves up.  Maybe they should open their own shops and get a contract with a network and show up Red Jacket.  It's fucking entertainment, just like sports, except not as stupid and useless.  If you want to discuss a complete waste of time, lets start talking stats on overpaid ball chasers...especially the ones that like to get criminal records trying to be some kind of bad ass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

its obvious the show is somewhat scripted. most "reality" shows are. they just happen to have a camera rolling when someone wants a 15 tube rocket launcher made up? i doubt it. but- it IS advertising for their shop, and advertising for their customers such as the Contractors that needed the rocket launcher.

i have a feeling they are re-doing some of their previous more entertaining jobs. like, "hey remember that bazooka? lets make another one just for the show"   and i will bet the original bazooka was made far better the first time for the original customer, than it was just for the show.

its entertaining. the shop owner is a marine, and i respect a guy who can build and run a shop like that.

if you think their prices are too high, maybe the customers who happily pay those prices should buy a machine shop, and pay half a dozen employees taxes / workmans comp / unemployment / benefits etc, and see if they can build their own rifles for cheaper
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Very Nice Rifle
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great review, I actually saw your rifle at CDI  yesterday.  I was dropping off my AR for some work and Sean asked if I knew the show, "Sons of Guns"?  I said yes and rolled my eyes and we both laughed and he picked up the rifle he worked on for you and let me look it over.  While not being an expert, I was impressed with the fit and finish.  Very nice rifle for the money, now a days.  

Do you know more about the barrel?  I assume its a US barrel since Atlantic doesn't say that its original.  

Congrats on the new rifle, let us know how she shoots.

Yeah its not the original barrel.

Shot it today and it shoots fantastic. A little bit of your typical trigger slap though. The grip was slightly loose and kept pinching my hand a little. Just had to tighten it. Other than that, no complaints
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have been working with Red Jacket for over 12 years  & they build nice products and are honest . The show is very scripted and their prices are resonable but jacked up on the show for some unknown purpose. We have never had them back down from a warranty issues and take care of most issues wihtin 1 week.

if thats not a good review, i dont know what is.

the show where they rebuilt the flame thrower for the 87? year old marine was awesome... id trade jobs with those guys in a heartbeat !
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have been working with Red Jacket for over 12 years  & they build nice products and are honest . The show is very scripted and their prices are resonable but jacked up on the show for some unknown purpose. We have never had them back down from a warranty issues and take care of most issues wihtin 1 week.

if thats not a good review, i dont know what is.

the show where they rebuilt the flame thrower for the 87? year old marine was awesome... id trade jobs with those guys in a heartbeat !

Hell yeah i would too. If it makes me look like a jackass on TV then oh well haha
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#28]
That looks like a very nice rifle and it shows that they care about what they put out the door. As far as the show goes the shop looks nice, clean and professional.

However some of the things they do are obviously scripted and idiotic and they come off looking like tools (like when they were working on the Tommy gun and he test fired it. He made the Tommy gun sound like it would kill everybody in the county because it was firing on it's own. He made it sound like the thing was a WMD or something when he should have just explained what the problem was with it and why it was unsafe, not that "it will kill anyone who comes near it" is I think what he said).

It's things like that that are impressed on non-gun people and that makes all of our jobs as gun enthusiasts harder. Take an AK for example, you know how many times I've been asked "aren't those illegal" or "aren't those fully automatic"(even from LEO's) because people see stupid shit on TV?

I stopped watching the show because of the "drama" affect.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats kinda scary haha

But that doesnt really work for shit like facebook though because im pretty sure it doesnt save all that crap

You can always use imgur.com for pic hosting. I'm pretty sure that imgur strips all the exif data before giving the link. It's a solid site.

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#31]
My iphone takes shitty pics anyway so i never take any with it that i wanna host anywhere, so its all good
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the review!

I'm also planning to get an RJ polish underfolder. May I ask that if it already has a retaining plate (like krebs'), or just the original retaining spring?
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top