Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2011 1:39:27 PM EDT
I was wondering if AK74 magazines will fit into a single M4 magazine pouch. I have 2 chest rigs right now and neither work right with AK74 magazines. One I have that works is a cheapo Blackhawk AK rig, but the pockets are way to deep and they have to be double stacked to fit tight, My other rig is a Eagle M4 LE which holds 3 AR mags in kydex things and there is no way an AK74 mag would fit in there. Basically I am looking for a simple rig similar to this Eagle M4 LE 6 that would hold 3 AK74 magazines nicely.

I considered getting a Eagle molle version and 3 HSGI taco holders, but that would be $155. If I would have thought this through before hands I would have done that and ran it with my AR and 74...but that ship has sailed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
My 74 mags run fine in my 5.11 double stack m4 pouches. Almost all LBE gear thats set up for m4 will work with the 74 mags. Just make sure you getting good LBE gear as the pouches can vary due to QC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been through this before.  "Universal" pouches are OK, but they are like all season tires.  A less expensive pouch would be the US Palm AK mag pouch (1,2, or 3)  Here

I have these on an Eagle all molle chest rig.  Or just get their Attack Rack Chest Harness

I reviewed the pouches on Youtube and the chest rig has been reviewed by someone else.  I have the HSGI Tacos on order since I want to try them out.  They seem to be the best for all mags (AR, AK and 308).

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been through this before.  "Universal" pouches are OK, but they are like all season tires.  A less expensive pouch would be the US Palm AK mag pouch (1,2, or 3)  Here

I have these on an Eagle all molle chest rig.  Or just get their Attack Rack Chest Harness

I reviewed the pouches on Youtube and the chest rig has been reviewed by someone else.  I have the HSGI Tacos on order since I want to try them out.  They seem to be the best for all mags (AR, AK and 308).

One major issue I have with that setup is how deep the pockets are. If I could choose I would rather have something that allows more to stick up so I can get a hold of it easier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The molle pouches that come with an FLC will work with AK74 magazines.

The ones with the velcro are labeled:

MOLLE II
M-4 DOUBLE MAG POUCH
NSN 8465-01-525-0606
SPM1C1-08-D-1080-0001

They only hold one 74 mag per pocket instead of 2 M4 mags.

The other pouch with the snaps on the top of it will also work, but they will stick out the top and are not very secure so I don't use them for AK74 mags. (This could easily be fixed by using some of the bungee cord from the canteen pouches) I'm not sure what the labels are on these as I don't want to undo all the molle holding them on.

All that said, I much prefer the Chicom style chest rigs for AK magazines. I have two of them that hold 6 mags and love the damn things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One major issue I have with that setup is how deep the pockets are. If I could choose I would rather have something that allows more to stick up so I can get a hold of it easier.

Diamondback Tactical
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/product/Diamondback-Tacticalreg-M4M16-Single-Open-Top-Short-Cut-Mag-Pouch,119,36.htm

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]

MOLLE two mag pouch holds one AK-74 mag with reduced closure overlap.

MOLLE 3-cell.  Standard with flaps.  Modded for AK-74 with flaps removed and bungie added. I make the same mod for use with M4 magazines.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice modification to that 3 cell, is your bunge just paracord or something else?  Is there straps on the inside of the pouch to tie the bunge to or did you find a creative way to attach them?
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I use HSGI Tacos. They work perfect.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

MOLLE II
M-4 DOUBLE MAG POUCH
NSN 8465-01-525-0606
SPM1C1-08-D-1080-0001

The other pouch with the snaps on the top of it will also work, but they will stick out the top and are not very secure so I don't use them for AK74 mags. (This could easily be fixed by using some of the bungee cord from the canteen pouches) I'm not sure what the labels are on these as I don't want to undo all the molle holding them on.

All that said, I much prefer the Chicom style chest rigs for AK magazines. I have two of them that hold 6 mags and love the damn things.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/PinkLuigi/HPIM1357.jpg

Can you give a link to chest rig.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MOLLE II
M-4 DOUBLE MAG POUCH
NSN 8465-01-525-0606
SPM1C1-08-D-1080-0001

I would love to find a place that sells those. I have bought two of them, one on the EE here and another on a different forum. All I know is that they are made in China (they have a tag that says so) and I believe they are a commercially made product, as there are no stamps for military usage on them. They seem to be slightly tougher material than the similar surplus Chicom rigs you see everywhere. I have no idea where these things are actually sold new in this country, both of mine I have bought used, and they are the only ones I have ever seen like them online or in person.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I want to know which bungi AR mag pouches work with the AK? I know for example my Estac Bush Boar pouches also fit my AK74 mags and I wonder if the Estac 5.56 pouches also fit the AK mags? I tried the GI shingle route but the pouches were too deep for M4 mags when converted to bungi retention and it annoyed me so I am trying to figure out what to do. I would rather not have to go with tacos unless I have to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MOLLE II
M-4 DOUBLE MAG POUCH
NSN 8465-01-525-0606
SPM1C1-08-D-1080-0001

I would love to find a place that sells those. I have bought two of them, one on the EE here and another on a different forum. All I know is that they are made in China (they have a tag that says so) and I believe they are a commercially made product, as there are no stamps for military usage on them. They seem to be slightly tougher material than the similar surplus Chicom rigs you see everywhere. I have no idea where these things are actually sold new in this country, both of mine I have bought used, and they are the only ones I have ever seen like them online or in person.

Check with Centerfire, that's where I bought mine new......Like $10 ea. IIRC.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]
We  had this discussion on the Tacticool board. Yes 74 mags fit into AR pouches. They won't fit into the old ALICE LC2 pouches though.

And everybody has their mags in their pouches upside down. Load them "cardridges up," AKs aren't ARs and you don't use the same motion to change mags. There's too much wasted motion when you carry "carts down" like you would with an AR, besides the hangups caused by the locking lug on the mags which cause both slowdown and damage to the pouches.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

MOLLE II

M-4 DOUBLE MAG POUCH

NSN 8465-01-525-0606

SPM1C1-08-D-1080-0001

Stizout look on page seven in optics and accessories for the 7.62Tactical Chicom chest rig thread. You might find it interesting. I cant get the link to the thread to work.
762Tactical

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

/thread
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Just received my Tacos today and have them mounted up.  Will be running them tomorrow in a AK course.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Just received my Tacos today and have them mounted up.  Will be running them tomorrow in a AK course.

How'd they work for ya?

CXS

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We  had this discussion on the Tacticool board. Yes 74 mags fit into AR pouches. They won't fit into the old ALICE LC2 pouches though.

And everybody has their mags in their pouches upside down. Load them "cardridges up," AKs aren't ARs and you don't use the same motion to change mags. There's too much wasted motion when you carry "carts down" like you would with an AR, besides the hangups caused by the locking lug on the mags which cause both slowdown and damage to the pouches.

When I first got into putting AK mags in pouches I tried the cartridges up. It did not work at all. The baseplate of the AK magazine is wider than the magazine body on all four sides and for me causes far more hangups than having a locking lug on one side that I can easily get out of any obstruction it gets caught on. Your experience may be different, but for me, cartridges up has never ever allowed for an easy removal of the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How'd they work for ya?

CXS

They worked out great.  I have two standard and two "double decker".  The latter ones were a little harder to insert the mags, but other than that I think they are the perfect mag pouch.  No more swapping out pouches for AR mags and vise versa.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I wanna share something special with you guys.

We are currently phasing out the hand bent Kydex Strips for these new and improved Molded Injection pieces..

They are being shipped when all Kydex Strip TACO's are gone of that color.

They have "feed lips" to aid in reinsertion of Magazines..

This is still hush-hush, and I'll probably get yelled at for posting these.

CXS

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You never know when someone with a drawing board is watching from Vietnam or the Dominican Republic.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You never know when someone with a drawing board is watching from Vietnam or the Dominican Republic.

Funny thing is I saw a Knock-Off TACO on ebay for $10..

It had the "Look" sorta, but I could tell by the pics it wouldn't function worth a fuck.

They cant figure out the correct equation on how to mount + lace + function..
The problem with the TACO is the amount of Labor that is involved in making it.

It is not something that is easily sewn together by a 10yo Asian kid.

And for that reason alone the Knock-Off companies cannot build it in a cost effective enough way to even try to.

Shit, our profit on the TACO is retarded low.

But we cant price ourselves out of the game..

Sometimes its about making a useful product that everybody can get their hands on.
CXS

ETA: The fuckerized Knock-Off TACO...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Modular-Single-Rifle-Mag-Pouch-RG-mlcs-lbt-eagle-mbss-/300524887766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8added6

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first got into putting AK mags in pouches I tried the cartridges up. It did not work at all. The baseplate of the AK magazine is wider than the magazine body on all four sides and for me causes far more hangups than having a locking lug on one side that I can easily get out of any obstruction it gets caught on. Your experience may be different, but for me, cartridges up has never ever allowed for an easy removal of the magazine.

Its also a less natural motion when you knock the old mag out with the new one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I think I am going to bite the bullet and do the taco pouch thing. It will be nice to be able to run the same rig for my AK47, 74 and AR mags. I haven't decided yet, but I think my next gun may be a SGL21. I have a MAK, but I want a side optics rail.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top