BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf EXTRA is a 200 grain FMJ-BT match load.
Wolf 203 grain stuff is a commercial hunting load.

be aware of the difference when ordering ammo.......
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to know, thanks for clarifying that G

Z
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Great write up! I am going to have to save up for the next time one of these classes rolls around. Of course I need to get a PSL too I'd love to have a true Dragunov, but I don't think I can realistically afford to get one. Rather have a PSL and still have some cash to feed it. I just love the looks of the Dragunov though, even my wife likes the way they look. Wait, maybe there is hope for getting one yet!
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't ever really looked at what Dragunovs are going for, figured they were too collectable to be in the realm of realistic. What does one bring these days, and is there any way to build or modify something into a reasonable facimilee?? I am guessing no, but figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get Tiger's for about $2500 pretty much all day long, maybe $2000 if you find a great deal. Another $500 in furniture and a flashhider and they are damn nice indeed.

Chinese NDM86's are almost always over $4000 these days, $4500 isn't uncommon either. KBI Russian SVD's are staying around 10K unfortunately, but maybe someday the VRA will be expired and we can import them again. I do believe it's in the works and might actually come true.

Tiger on the bottom:

Quoted:
Thank you.  I've been looking for some ideas to replace my current 'DMR' kit, which was more or less a field expediant design.

I've done a little more tinkering with my rig and figured out those utility pouches will probably work for 2 SVD mags each. I just have to secure something to the strap to keep it from slipping, thats all that appears to keep the flap from staying closed.

Z
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
che-drags are beautiful. I have to say though Zen, I love the look of the wood, but that stock on yours is awesome the way it reduces the recoil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the short course in Dragunov pricing. A tiger may be a possibility, though I really like the NDM86. I just looked on Gun Broker and there were a couple Tigers and a couple NDM86s on there. They were priced right where you said they should be. One more quick question - is the stock/scope configuration usable by a left hander? It looks to be from the pics I have seen, but it can be hard to judge sometimes. I shoot my AK lefty with no problems, but that is with irons and a completely different stock. Thanks, again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#10]
My Australian friend PatriaPovo shoots it just fine, he's a lefty so I would imagine it would be alright.

Z
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Damn, what a great thread.  Thanks for posting it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Little bump to avoid the archives, new class scheduled for 2012 is January 28-29

Z
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Little bump to avoid the archives, new class scheduled for 2012 is January 28-29

Z

Hmmm . . .
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going and might be joined again by Nictra as well as some other theakforum.net Houstonians

Like last year I'm going to post up the details of the class in a new thread so anyone interested can find out more. We had a really good time and I think it was excellent training

Z
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I sooooo wanna go! Hoping I can scrape up enough $....
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm going and might be joined again by Nictra as well as some other theakforum.net Houstonians

Like last year I'm going to post up the details of the class in a new thread so anyone interested can find out more. We had a really good time and I think it was excellent training

Z

Can you ship a rifle and ammo to them ahead of time?  It's a 27 hour drive from here () but not too bad by plane.  The nearest airport is 22 miles away from a quick search.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe I can make arrangements for that yes, Voron who is hosting the class has already suggested shipping everything to him and then flying up. He'll make sure to get it all shipped back to us and I think he'd be ok with your stuff too, but obviously you'd have to pay both ways. He's cool but he's not doing that for free, not even for us

Nictra and I did 27 hours from Houston also and it wasn't a cakewalk. I was glad to have the company and it made the drive worth it but 27 hours is 27 hours...driving that long generally sucks. Neither one of us is super excited about doing it again but maybe if we have 4 or 5 guys this time it will be a little easier to split up the shifts. A lot depends on timing, we're still about 6 months out and people are still thinking about other things.

Z
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I believe I can make arrangements for that yes, Voron who is hosting the class has already suggested shipping everything to him and then flying up. He'll make sure to get it all shipped back to us and I think he'd be ok with your stuff too, but obviously you'd have to pay both ways. He's cool but he's not doing that for free, not even for us

Nictra and I did 27 hours from Houston also and it wasn't a cakewalk. I was glad to have the company and it made the drive worth it but 27 hours is 27 hours...driving that long generally sucks. Neither one of us is super excited about doing it again but maybe if we have 4 or 5 guys this time it will be a little easier to split up the shifts. A lot depends on timing, we're still about 6 months out and people are still thinking about other things.

Z

The most difficult part then would be convincing my wife.  "Hey, honey, I'm going on vacation in January but . . . "

Yeah, paying both ways would be far better than dealing with a rifle at an airport.  I'm going to look into this more.  It sounds like some awesome training.

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Z

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Z
http://www.imagerentacar.com/minivans/images/minivan-rentals-KENNEDY-Airport.jpg

uh no

Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Z
http://www.imagerentacar.com/minivans/images/minivan-rentals-KENNEDY-Airport.jpg

uh no

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/Forum%20pics/15350435.jpg

Did you get it fixed yet ?

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Thank you.  I've been looking for some ideas to replace my current 'DMR' kit, which was more or less a field expediant design.

I've done a little more tinkering with my rig and figured out those utility pouches will probably work for 2 SVD mags each. I just have to secure something to the strap to keep it from slipping, thats all that appears to keep the flap from staying closed.

Put a link to the new class in the Training Forum

Also definitely going to be rocking the new SVD chest rig instead of trying to adapt the TT-MAV

Z
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice write up.

I've been a huge fan of the Dragunov style reticle for years. It's fast, simple, and works better in the field than most everything else I've shot.

I agree with how well the chevron works in the field. Over the years the PSO has proven itself effective to me over and over again to the point where I prefer the chevron over anything else.

Nice rifle you have there...500m on prairie dogs is impressive

One day I hope to take Che Drag out to do some prairie dog hunts, they seem like a good experience. Actually my plan for 2012 is make more time for hunting again like I used to do.

Looks like there will be 3 of us heading up from Texas this year, we're starting the planning process for flights and hotels etc. One thing to note: Voron mentioned that with all the oil companies fracking the area that hotels are often booked up so for those of you interested you might start thinking about accommodations sooner rather than later. IM or email me if anyone needs suggestions or whatnot.

Z
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#26]
6 weeks til class, still slots open

Z
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm getting stoked!!!! Here's what I'm bringing to the table this year!

Hoping Santa is nice to me this year and I will have a Para stock on her by the time class starts.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
You know I love my 1P29, I really can't wait to see that SUIT in action especially at longer ranges

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Oh wow...my WASR and PSL (and my Grey Fur Soviet-Era, complete with Red Star badge, mad bomber hat) are screaming from the basement for me to take them to a course like this!

The snow especially would be 'fun' to work in.

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh wow...my WASR and PSL (and my Grey Fur Soviet-Era, complete with Red Star badge, mad bomber hat) are screaming from the basement for me to take them to a course like this!

The snow especially would be 'fun' to work in.

All I can say is that it's a ton of fun and you learn some interesting stuff. As I mentioned in the original review the class totally changed the way I see a scoped semi automatic rifle, for  me money well spent

Z
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Where is next year class at?
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Minh you'd love this class, especially now after being in the USMC

The 2012 class is in Sayre PA same city as last year but a different range this time. We may have up to 800m lanes if the terrain cooperates

All the details are HERE

There is a discount for early registration and you can contact Marco for a .MIL discount also (should be pretty significant, ask Nictra), the two together make the class damn near cheap

Z
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I was hoping it would be closer to my duty station in GA. I'd have to take leave to be able to attend the class but there's no way in hell my CO would allow that .

On the side note, a couple months back when I was at Infantry Training Battalion, my Platoon Commander let me play with an Iraqi battle field pick up '79 Izhevsk Drag for a few days when we learn about enemy's weapons.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#34]
too bad man, would love to meet you and see some of your goodies.

Bring the hat!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I wish I could make it...but work prevents me from that.  It would be great to get back to PA for a class and visit friends and family back in my home state.  Some day!

CMS
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Direct Action Resource Center (www.darc1.com) is hosting this course 25-26 Feb 2012 in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Edit:
Thanks for the IM's and interest.
You have to sign up with www.behindlines.net not with DARC.
It is their course and DARC is only the host.
I spoke with Marco this afternoon and he should have something on his website soon (this week?).
He also told me that he is bringing Fortier to help with the course.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm getting stoked!!!! Here's what I'm bringing to the table this year!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/FAL/P1010204.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/FAL/P1010208-1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/FAL/P1010209-1.jpg

Hoping Santa is nice to me this year and I will have a Para stock on her by the time class starts.    

That's the weirdest looking ak I ever saw!

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like up to 10 people will be at the class, going to be a hoot I think

Z
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:11:52 AM EDT
[#39]
nice! My ammo is on the way! Going to go to the range tonight or tomorrow night and check the irons, (just added new rear site) and triple check scope zero. Unfortunately Santa did not bring me a Para kit for Christmas, but I think that's better, skin doesn't stick to cold wood like it could to metal....I'm getting stoked!

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well I wish I could make it...but work prevents me from that.  It would be great to get back to PA for a class and visit friends and family back in my home state.  Some day!

CMS

This. Some day, probably when I'm way to old and can't run around the course.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Up for the new year

Z
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Che Drag, Che Tiger and a boatload of ammo have been shipped

Also put a proper 400m zero on the 1P78 and the 1P29 and if we have time we're going to try some 700m shooting with 5.45 optics.

Z
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
going to the range tomorrow to site in the new scope. Then I'll be ready.

made a few upgrades:

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#44]
One week out, 3 spots left

Z
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Ill take this course one of the days. It would have already been considered but a few projects need to be built.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top