Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
hence my earlier statements about wanting to see it after at least 500rds

500 might be enough for a low volume type rifle (like a bolt action hunting rifle) but it's not anywhere near enough for an AK where people have been known to shoot 20K+ cartridges through one.
I'll wait for the 50K shot longevity test.

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's just me but that rear stock does not belong on the AK-47!  Go back to the original stock!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Optics and Irons are very important to me.  You Fail miserably on both right now.  A plastic front sight post     A dust cover that will NEVER hold a zero  

Why?....  =   Your lack of understanding the rifle and the fundamentals of shooting.                          

The .223 round just doesn't interest me due to its lack of stopping power

Any one that makes this quote, does not fully understand the statement they have made.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The Leupold scope is temporary so I can see how the rifle does at 100 yards.  It is firmly mounted for now.  I fully comprehend that it will not hold a zero very well, if at all (although I may take it off and then re-install it at the range between targets just to see how much it would move.  This is not a sniper rifle.  It is not MOA.  It is MO-human being.  The Scope will not be mounted on the gun forever.  I would prefer a red dot of some type as long as I can see the iron sights.

The red plastic front sight is the sight that came with the gun.  I may swap it out for something else, but for now it works very well.  It's easy to see and its protected by the front sight side wings.

As to the .223 round, I side with the military professionals who never thought changing from a .30 caliber to a .22 caliber was a good idea.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Leupold scope is temporary so I can see how the rifle does at 100 yards.  It is firmly mounted for now.  I fully comprehend that it will not hold a zero very well, if at all (although I may take it off and then re-install it at the range between targets just to see how much it would move.  This is not a sniper rifle.  It is not MOA.  It is MO-human being.  The Scope will not be mounted on the gun forever.  I would prefer a red dot of some type as long as I can see the iron sights.

The red plastic front sight is the sight that came with the gun.  I may swap it out for something else, but for now it works very well.  It's easy to see and its protected by the front sight side wings.

As to the .223 round, I side with the military professionals who never thought changing from a .30 caliber to a .22 caliber was a good idea.  

I'm not trying to bust your ball, but man i have been there done that.  That mount is not firmly mounted, i assure you.  This MOM thing is an AK myth at best.  If your rifle is 4 moa, thats not MO-human being.  I consider my rifles combat accurate, but adding a wondering Zero =Fail.

Ultimak w/ a RD that has a QD =

Are you a hunter?  Ever bring a rifle into the woods and notice that it catches EVERYTHING.  Well, thats your plastic catching something (vines, sling, clothes, branches) and breaking.

So called Military Pro's based their opinions on M4's w/ M855.  Think 16" barrel with 75gr Tap for example, thats thinking outside the box.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope this doesn't sound nit-picky but the little plastic cover on the charging handle: I thought those were just for shipping so the CH doesn't poke through the cardboard box. Do people actually keep those on their rifles? I always just discarded them. I'm afraid they would slip off in use.

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That sure is a funny looking bolt carrier!  GARY  N4KVE

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hope this doesn't sound nit-picky but the little plastic cover on the charging handle: I thought those were just for shipping so the CH doesn't poke through the cardboard box. Do people actually keep those on their rifles? I always just discarded them. I'm afraid they would slip off in use.

When you are not wearing gloves and doing mag drills you will wish you had kept it.
I wear gloves now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
i think a lot of courageous restraint has been used by the men of arfcom in this thread.

you all deserve a medal for tolerating this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Optics and Irons are very important to me.  You Fail miserably on both right now.  A plastic front sight post     A dust cover that will NEVER hold a zero  

Why?....  =   Your lack of understanding the rifle and the fundamentals of shooting.                          

The .223 round just doesn't interest me due to its lack of stopping power

Any one that makes this quote, does not fully understand the statement they have made.

Yep the fail is strong in this topic.

American AK
Tapco additions
Cast Carrier
Gigantic "Made in America" stamp that looks like something Ivan would stick on the side while proclaiming "MY AK IS BEST AK!"
Plastic front sight

Yeah um.. no thanks.

Can Americans do anything right anymore? The more time I spend here the more I come to believe that the only thing we can do is build AR-15s correctly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, despite the frost, there was enough light this morning for me to take a photo before heading off to class.  I'm ready for the range in a week!  Here ya go:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion052.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion053.jpg

I'm asking for an "I (heart) my AK-47" tshirt for Christmas....

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Great review, i like it and would think about getting one if they get just a bit lower in price.  That double tang does make it difficult to fit a good Ar adapter (I use the VLTOR ones).

I like the windage adjustable rear sight––a lot.

You may want to upgrade your rail to  TWS...makes it super easy to clean and holds zero, also puts the optic lower.

Keep us informed as you shoot it more.  Very neat!
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Corect me if I am wrong but that little gey plastic nub on the charging handle is just to help keep the gun in the box duing shipping isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Corect me if I am wrong but that little gey plastic nub on the charging handle is just to help keep the gun in the box duing shipping isn't it?

True, it keeps the charging handle from wearing through the cardboard box. It works pretty good for it's intended purpose, but I have bought AK's before where the plastic nub doesn't stop the charging handle from wearing right through the box.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't need gloves for AKs. I practice both with and without gloves and I prefer not using gloves. Not using gloves you better have the extended mag release paddle and good form otherwise you will cut yourself up. If you reach under with your left hand and rack with your thumb the safety will cut you, Reach under and rack with your forefinger and you will clear the safety. People do prefer to wear gloves for a damn good reason they just aren't necessary if you know what not to do.

Hey mm6mm6 you have a good looking rifle. I personally don't like having rails without rail covers to prevent snagging or damaging the rails.
However the important thing is your rifle works and you like shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i think a lot of courageous restraint has been used by the men of arfcom in this thread.

you all deserve a medal for tolerating this.

Agreed!
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You don't need gloves for AKs. I practice both with and without gloves and I prefer not using gloves. Not using gloves you better have the extended mag release paddle and good form otherwise you will cut yourself up. If you reach under with your left hand and rack with your thumb the safety will cut you, Reach under and rack with your forefinger and you will clear the safety. People do prefer to wear gloves for a damn good reason they just aren't necessary if you know what not to do.

Hey mm6mm6 you have a good looking rifle. I personally don't like having rails without rail covers to prevent snagging or damaging the rails.
However the important thing is your rifle works and you like shooting it.

You need gloves for any semi-automatic rifle. The reason you use gloves isn't because fear of cutting yourself on your gun, it's because people have gotten killed over not being able to return fire because their weapons were too hot to handle. You always need gloves.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
You need gloves for any semi-automatic rifle. The reason you use gloves isn't because fear of cutting yourself on your gun, it's because people have gotten killed over not being able to return fire because their weapons were too hot to handle. You always need gloves.

I disagree with your point. They simply aren't mandatory. You can hold onto the magazine instead of the forend and the charging handle doesn't get so hot it can't be touched. I'm not saying in combat conditions you don't want them but they are more to protect your hands in general. If you have to low crawl on the ground it certainly saves your hands a good deal of wear and tear. I don't agree that you need gloves to protect you from your AK just because it is hot. I will agree that they do indeed provide an advantage in regards to weapon manipulation on a very hot rifle and that if your rifle is that hot it would be a good idea to have them on.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]
This being a milled receiver , is the bbl threaded into the receiver ?  If so , I wonder if they could be convinced to put a 6.5 Grendel bbl on ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I disagree with your point. They simply aren't mandatory. You can hold onto the magazine instead of the forend and the charging handle doesn't get so hot it can't be touched. I'm not saying in combat conditions you don't want them but they are more to protect your hands in general. If you have to low crawl on the ground it certainly saves your hands a good deal of wear and tear. I don't agree that you need gloves to protect you from your AK just because it is hot. I will agree that they do indeed provide an advantage in regards to weapon manipulation on a very hot rifle and that if your rifle is that hot it would be a good idea to have them on.  

When you are changing mags because they are empty the rifle tends to be a tad warm. I also had issues with the charging handle rubbing on the side of my index finger. Not mandatory, but I see no reason to beat myself up at the range.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top