Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/8/2010 6:50:16 PM EDT
I am contemplating buying a milled ak receiver and building a rifle myself. how hard is it?  It is proving rather hard to buy a whole milled receiver ak all complete, or at least a lot harder than I thought (since I live in NY).  I figure if I build it myself, I can get rid of/weld everything that will make her illegal here in Ny before I assemble it.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to be able to set rivets do build an AK yourself. Also you will need to properly headspace the barrel (again by riveting).

Building an AK is nothing like putting together an AR.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Big stupid hydraulic press for the barrel.
Welder for the rails.
Rivet press of some kind.

I'm sure not all builds require all of this but it's more than just an assembly.
Remember that AK's are hand fitted at the factory.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
so......I guess I'll just buy one...
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
More AK kits have been built in garages across America than any other kit gun.  There's more information on how to home build AK kits on the internet than there is how to build custom 1911s, and that's saying something.  The AR may be America's rifle, but the AK is America's favorite WESCOG gun.

It's not that hard, but it's not snap together either.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
so......I guess I'll just buy one...

You could just buy the receiver and parts, mod the parts however you have to to be legal in your state, then send it off to get built by an AK builder.  Just have them do the barrel and any riveting and finish the rest yourself.. the rest is cake.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
OP if you're talking about a MILLED reciever, then some of the companies selling them offer varios stages of completion (such as riveting the trigger guard on it for you). From there the biggest issues you will face are barrel installation and headspace, if you go with the screw-in type barrel then you'll either have to have the shoulder of the barrel machined to get the right headspace or file the bolt lugs. Press and pin style will have to be pressed into place then pinned with an oversized barrel pin to set the headspace.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]

5 years ago building your own AK was a cheap, economical, and not-that-difficult way to get a rifle that wasn't really very available.  Even 2 years ago converting Saigas from "sporter" to "standard" configuration was the only way to get a Russian made AK that looked like a military-issue rifle.

Today, in most cases, it is cheaper and easier to just buy what you want.  

And to answer the original question:  It's not that hard.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're wanting to do a milled build then the only rivets you have to worry about are the trigger guard, pistol grip nut, and lower tang. For those items you can send it out to have it done which would be much cheaper that having a whole stamped gun built or use one of the many DIY jigs that are sold on various AK boards. Barrel installation can be completed with a large hammer and a giant brass rod, or again, one of the DIY setups sold by the same people who make the rivet jigs.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Not difficult, but not cost effective for a 1-off rifle.  By the time you add in the cost of the kit, the receiver, parts, tools, and jigs, you are well over the cost of ordering a nice Arsenal and having it neutered by a gunsmith for NY compliance.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You need to be able to set rivets do build an AK yourself. Also you will need to properly headspace the barrel (again by riveting).

He said milled receiver.  Just need to rivet the trigger guard.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said milled receiver.  Just need to rivet the trigger guard.

What about the lower tang?  Pistol grip nut on milled receiver is riveted

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top