Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2010 7:19:30 PM EDT
I have the opportunity of someone giving me an AK-47. I do not have a clue how old it is and how many times it has probably changed hands. This AK was not taken care of at all. I borescoped the barrel and it is garbage (heavily pitted and very rusty). A new barrel is definitely the first and most important upgrade that this rifle will need.
I know nothing about how to identify an AK so that I can buy a new barrel for it. All that I can tell you is that it is a milled receiver. It is a press fit barrel with a 23mm diameter, length of 16.33", and the muzzle threads are 14mm x 1.0mm. The length of the gas tube is something between 6-7/8"-6-9/16".
How do I tell if it is Yugoslavian, Romanian, Bulgarian, etc.? Do I need to take some measurements of the gas block location, front sight location, barrel diameters, etc. If a person needs more dimensions off the barrel what do I need to measure to identify it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It should have markings on it somewhere.

They will tell you where it came from.
List and pictures of marks
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not being an ass, but I bet a simple picture would work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Read what is says on the side, and type it into the "Google"
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not being an ass, but I bet a simple picture would work.

That would be too easy though, this guy likes a challenge.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Read what is says on the side, and type it into the "Google"

Man, you expect a lot out of a guy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There is not any markings on it. I am under the assumption that an individual built it? I do not have the rifle in my possession for a picture. At this point I have only taken a few measurements (as listed above) off of the barrel when I was visiting this guy and I want to try to figure out what kind of rifle/barrel it is. Is the dimensions that I took enough to identify it?
If not, what other dimensions do I need to measure on the barrel to identify what type of AK-47 it is?

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Im by no means an AK pro but I dont think measurements are going to help you any. Marking or pictures is what you need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
if it is being given to you , get it in your posesion and then take some pics. you may get more info then. and second, are there any more to be gotten for free? i'm accepting all donations at this time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot to mention, on the chamber end of the barrel that gets pressed in to the milled receiver there is a large diameter flange that stops up against the front of the receiver.
It looks like this.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetaillargerimage.aspx?id=ak47-7gm
http://images.ebsco.com/pob/greenmountain/catalog/AK47-7GM%20Print.jpg
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=AK47-7GM

Green Mountain Rifle Barrels is showing this to be a 1960 Polish? Are there any other countries that make milled receivers using a press fit barrel with a flange?
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a simple handguard flange.  Not uncommon at all.

We going to play 20 questions with this thing?

I vote it is a Bulgarian milled receiver with a used Hungarian parts kit and a crappy original barrel with worn out bore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 3:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Forgot to mention, on the chamber end of the barrel that gets pressed in to the milled receiver there is a large diameter flange that stops up against the front of the receiver.
It looks like this.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetaillargerimage.aspx?id=ak47-7gm
http://images.ebsco.com/pob/greenmountain/catalog/AK47-7GM%20Print.jpg
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=AK47-7GM

Green Mountain Rifle Barrels is showing this to be a 1960 Polish? Are there any other countries that make milled receivers using a press fit barrel with a flange?

Hers's some more info in my quote above? Is it a Polish or are there others using this flanged barrel also?

Link Posted: 9/21/2010 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Hesse
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Take a damn photo and post it. Your description describes just about any milled AK out there.

Link Posted: 9/21/2010 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
if the wood upper and lower hand guards have 3 vents/slots,it's yugo,only 2 or zero is anything else.see what the rear sight letter is,being an O is yugo,S polish.a backwards N Bulgarian/ruskie but that doesn't always set true as people change them for whatever reason..I would guess if it is(barrel) pitted I would tend to think it is yugo,if it is as bad as ya say.Just look at the markings on the side,yugo's don't always have zastava or circled Z on the side.hell it may be chimanesey
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Stop wasting everyone's time!
"It has a trigger, it has a barrel and its pretty straight, it doesn't have a compass...." - USELESS
Either make an effort and take pictures or go away. AZHONKY
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Is it that hard to take a picture?
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
It is a possibility that the OP is testing us to see how many of us will reply to this thread... just for shits and giggles you know.

How many here believe he's serious and how many think he's laughing his ass off at us - let's see a show of hands?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top