Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 8/26/2010 12:21:16 PM
Hey all,

I have been looking at getting my krink refinished. I have been looking at several different people and finishes, but cannot decide which will fit the bill the best. My krink is build on a nodak spud receiver and has a dura coat finish. The finish has been shipping off. The gun shows very light rust on the charging handle, the folding stock hinge and lock. I want to have the entire gun refinished including the flash hider. I have talked to Gary from overland industries anout parkerizing the gun and then using dura coat. I have also talked to Birdsong black t. I need some advice and info. I am looking for the best finish that will be durable and rust resistant.

Thanks
Finslayer83
V.XLV x XXXIX
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 12:33:16 PM
I think coal creek armory can do its melonite treatment to rifles.

From what I gather, its like the glock tennifer finish, tough as nails.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
If it weren't for guns, we would be British

"While ar guys are trying to figure out which high dollar tacticool item they're putting on their rifle next, AK guys try to find green packing tape, awesome" - nframe
strat81
This is insubordination.
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 1:14:59 PM
I'd go with GunKote sprayed over parkerizing.

I also like electroless nickel, but that would look out of place on an AK.
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. www.nebraskafirearms.org
Southrnshooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 1:22:24 PM
ACE Hardware stove paint Flat black.

Really....
Finslayer83
V.XLV x XXXIX
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 1:32:03 PM
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
ACE Hardware stove paint Flat black.

Really....

With that said, I use the Duplicolor high temp engine paint, works nicely.

And touch up's are a breeze.

"While ar guys are trying to figure out which high dollar tacticool item they're putting on their rifle next, AK guys try to find green packing tape, awesome" - nframe
Imaposer2
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 2:37:07 PM
I don't know much about many of the newer, more high tech finishes available, like Melonite, etc. But of the more common spray applied finishes I'd vote for KG GunKote over park.
msanders84
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:14:42 PM
Is there a company that has a finish that is identical to tennifer? If so, will that application work well on an ak? Lastly, should I have it parkerized underneath?
Finslayer83
V.XLV x XXXIX
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:26:01 PM
Originally Posted By msanders84:
Is there a company that has a finish that is identical to tennifer? If so, will that application work well on an ak? Lastly, should I have it parkerized underneath?

Coal Creek Armory offers Isonite / Melonite, I don't know if they do rifles or not. Worth calling to find out.

865-966-4545

msanders84
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:41:04 PM
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Coal Creek Armory offers Isonite / Melonite, I don't know if they do rifles or not. Worth calling to find out.

865-966-4545

I did call them. Their turn around time was pretty high and the man I spoke with was not very informative. Not sure what my next move is.
Chris_1522
I need more lemon Pledge...
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 3:51:53 PM
I used some satin black enamel marketed for farm equipment by a company called "Van Sickle".

It has been tough as nails!
iamg0ku
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 4:11:35 PM
Moly Resin is as good as it gets.

link
rgb03
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 4:18:09 PM
another for molyresin. my tromix 12 has it and the romy i am getting ready to send out is going to get the molyresin treatment
rube79
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 5:22:27 PM
I am looking for the best finish that will be durable and rust resistant.

This = Moly Resin over a Sand blasted area with aluminum oxide

msanders84
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/26/2010 6:01:14 PM
Thanks for the help. I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo and shoot in all types of weather. I need someting that will coat the entire gun and I can dunk it in water and have NO rust problem as long as it is dried. I was in a class last month were it poured the entire time. I cleaned the gun completely and it was dry. The finish wore off while I was wiping it down with a dry towel. When I got home and removed it from the case after it had been cleaned I then put it in my gun safe. The next day I looked at the gun and it had some rush on the charging handle that I touched before I put it away as well as the other flash hider that I put on a shelf.

Who is the gunsmith for the moly resin job??

Thanks
rightwing87
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/27/2010 3:03:49 AM
Thanks for the help. I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo and shoot in all types of weather. I need someting that will coat the entire gun and I can dunk it in water and have NO rust problem as long as it is dried. I was in a class last month were it poured the entire time. I cleaned the gun completely and it was dry. The finish wore off while I was wiping it down with a dry towel. When I got home and removed it from the case after it had been cleaned I then put it in my gun safe. The next day I looked at the gun and it had some rush on the charging handle that I touched before I put it away as well as the other flash hider that I put on a shelf.

Who is the gunsmith for the moly resin job??

Thanks

These guys can do it.
Rifle Dynamics
slomofo
Penguin Squad
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/27/2010 2:34:32 PM
I like milled receivers with a blued finish on the entire rifle; looks sexy.
balloo93
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/28/2010 5:46:14 AM
[Last Edit: 8/28/2010 5:47:06 AM by balloo93]
I used AlumahydeII from brownells to do my AK. I used the Semigloss Black and my brother did his in Coyote. Mine got two light coats, and his got three coats. So far it has held up great. We baked ours to harden it and degas it faster.

About the only chemical that will remove it is Brake Cleaner. It has held up against gun cleaner and gun oil without issue.

adrock1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/28/2010 9:45:33 AM
Originally Posted By iamg0ku:
Moly Resin is as good as it gets.

link

I agree. I had a bolt actio done few years ago. That gun gets hunted hard and it still looks brand new. Its a very thin finish that's pretty damn tough. It definately doesn't chip like the thicker coatings. I even had the whole bolt done along with all the internals. Basically everything but the chamber and bore itself. It's thin enough that you can put it on mating surfaces without affecting fit. It will not affect headspace for example when applied to bolt lugs. It offers some lubricity as well. Very good product in my opinion and can be applied to bare metal if properly media blasted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile