Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 7/12/2010 5:32:50 PM
Thinking of switching from the stock Arsenal trigger on my SGL to a Tapco G2. Handling other AKs with G2s, I feel like the G2 is lighter (makes for faster follow-up shots) and maybe cleaner. What do you guys think? Is it an upgrade or not?
Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 5:36:33 PM
Some like the G2 over the Arsenal. The Arsenal's that were MIM were known to break at one time. I have one Arsenal in an Arsenal rifle. All my others have been Gordon Tech G2's, Tapco G2's and FSE fire control groups. I had an RSA set but sold it as I didn't care for all the adjusting to get it to work correctly.
POLYTHENEPAM
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 5:44:36 PM
Use the one that gets the best results for you.
snoman
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 8:37:41 PM
I can tell you I've never had an issue with the G2. OTOH, I had the Arsenal hammer almost disintegrate in a SA M7 carbine two years ago, less than 300 rds through the rifle. I've even got the pictures to prove it.

Others have had good luck with the Arsenal stuff and some have had bad luck with the G2. Try each and see which one you like.
evlblkwpnz
Gunshine State Native
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 8:44:26 PM
Are the Arsenal/K-VAR 2 stage triggers any good or durable? I just ordered some.

I have a lot of G2s and have been well pleased, but thought I'd try some 2 stages.
Disclaimer: I do not work for Tactical Machining, Daniel Defense, Centurion Arms, Noveske, Colt, VLTOR, AO Precision, Magpul, Giessele, Troy, Eotech, Harris, YHM, BCM, Stag, Sharp's, Lothar Walther, LMT, Tapco, or Walmart. Got all that, Sherlock?
tkopp
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 9:08:55 PM
I've put somewhere around 1500 rounds through my Arsenal, no reliability issues. However, the G2 trigger on my Draco does release smoother.
PreemptiveStrike
Having "one of those days"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 9:34:24 PM
I replaced my original Chinese trigger which most people consider one of the smoothest stock triggers you can get with a Tapco G2 that I smoothed all the contact points with a Dremel tool and buffing compound.

It is just as smooth as the original Chinese one was.
-There are no such things as heroes. There are only those who do what needs to be done when nobody else will.
-Support your local death penalty
-The armed citizen.......Americas original homeland security
-General Discussion=the toilet of ARFCOM
dntama
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 11:32:34 PM
Originally Posted By evlblkwpnz:
Are the Arsenal/K-VAR 2 stage triggers any good or durable? I just ordered some.

I have a lot of G2s and have been well pleased, but thought I'd try some 2 stages.

The Kvar is not a real two stage trigger.

SKS_Lover
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 11:36:08 PM
The G2 is infinitely better than the Arsenal trigger, I replaced mine after the first time I shot my rifle.
Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/12/2010 11:47:13 PM
Originally Posted By PreemptiveStrike:
I replaced my original Chinese trigger which most people consider one of the smoothest stock triggers you can get with a Tapco G2 that I smoothed all the contact points with a Dremel tool and buffing compound.

I did that with all of mine. Used a rubber impregnated abrasive wheel and then followed with a cotton tip with the rubbing compound from a dremel kit. Smooth as glass.

dgposton
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 12:31:01 AM
OK, so it looks like I should at least try the G2 and see if it is an improvement.

Alright, then I have two questions:

a) Exactly what parts do I need to do this installation on my SGL? Is this all I need, or do I need more?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=799634

Do I need the springy thing? The "retainer plate"?

b) What's the simplest set of online instructions for doing the installation? I've always got conflicting advice on this and have yet to find a straightforward set of instructions.

This will be my first time doing this kind of work on my AK, so please be kind. I originally thought I'd have a gunsmith do this, but I'd like to get to know the inner workings of my AK a little bit more.
Tactical_T
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 1:18:57 AM
I have used Arsenal and G2 triggers. I prefer the G2.
You Tube has videos on AK FCG installation.
dgposton
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 1:29:55 PM
Here are the Tapco G2 trigger parts I have on hand from way back:

Can someone tell me if this is all I need? Will I need a disconnector spring from Tapco or should I re-use the Arsenal one? Also, should I re-use the Arsenal hammer or use the Tapco? And will I need a new hammer spring and retainer spring (shepherd's crook)?

Thanks!
Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 1:49:04 PM
You can use the springs that are already in your rifle.
POLYTHENEPAM
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 2:57:27 PM
After a bad experience with mixing fcg parts, I don't do that anymore.
Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 3:18:13 PM
[Last Edit: 7/13/2010 3:19:08 PM by Mak]
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
After a bad experience with mixing fcg parts, I don't do that anymore.

You don't do what? Use the springs that are already in your rifle?

Tapco fire control groups don't come with springs.

Or mixing the Arsenal Hammer with the Tapco group? That may not work well

POLYTHENEPAM
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 5:11:49 PM
Originally Posted By Mak:

This. I probably should have quoted his question.
Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 5:24:52 PM

Get a slam fire? I did.

dgposton
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 6:07:36 PM

So what about the disconnector and hammer springs? Are these interchangeable between the two brands? I'm particularly curious as to whether the disconnector springs between Arsenal and Tapco have identical specs.
thanks!
squirrell18
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 6:10:13 PM
I love my tapco trigger that is already installed in my Norinco MAK-90, it gives me 3 parts for 922(r). Trigger is easy to install.
Three shot groups do not give a true picture of the accuracy of a rifle and ammunition combination. That is why the US Military requires 10-shot groups for the accuracy testing of the ammunition used by our Armed Forces.
Mak
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 6:35:55 PM
Originally Posted By dgposton:

So what about the disconnector and hammer springs? Are these interchangeable between the two brands? I'm particularly curious as to whether the disconnector springs between Arsenal and Tapco have identical specs.
thanks!

Never had any problems using springs as they are probably all just regular milspec foreign AK springs
bloodsport2885
Use of live ammunition is now authorized
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 6:37:27 PM

Originally Posted By dgposton:

thanks!
Both brands use the military springs from overseas so they are compatible.

Originally Posted By ecgRN:
Floridahunter had to get some one to shoot him. Twonami and I manned up and did it ourselves....

TheGrandIllusion
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 7:44:25 PM
[Last Edit: 7/13/2010 7:45:34 PM by TheGrandIllusion]
I've had no problems with my Arsenal trigger. I'm at about 4,000 rounds through the SGL31. It gets a little bit smoother as its used. It still isn't nearly as light as the G2 trigger in my WASR, but it's acceptable as a military trigger.
IMR
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 9:06:55 PM
I like my Arsenal trigger better than the 3, G2 triggers I've had previously in other AK's. and it's not even broke-in good yet.
POLYTHENEPAM
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 9:36:35 PM

Get a slam fire? I did.

I had the hammer jar loose from the trigger hook when I chambered a cartridge! My finger was no where near the trigger.
That was enough for me.
Imaposer2
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2010 9:37:12 PM
Originally Posted By PreemptiveStrike:

I've replaced my Chinese FCG with G2s too and can't complain about the comparison of the trigger action really. I think the original might have been a little better but it might just be my imagination.

The only thing that makes me reluctant about it is the MIM manufacturing process of the Tapco FCGs. I've never heard of any failures but metallurgically speaking I don't rust MIM as much when used in high stress, wear or high impact applications. I would feel better using forged, machined and case hardened steel any day of the week.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3