Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:39:56 PM EDT
These folks were located here in Houston. Bought one rifle from them, had some work done on  another..wanted to have some more work done..seems they up and moved to Montana..anybody know what happened?
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem.  I was about to drive over there, but then I realized they shipped out of town.  They did recommend me a local guy in Houston to do some work I need done.  From what I hear he is supposed to be good, I'll report back if I get a chance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I was there last Jan and Hector was very friendly and helpful . He even checked my 74's headspace. Well, if they are moving to Montana then thats a minus for Houston for AK afficionados (wish they stayed in town). He even showed me his finished products and all i can say they are quite well made. I would highly recommend them. THey have lifetime warranties  on their built kit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I think someone else posted on this board the owner was originally from Montana and wanted to move back home.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Greetings . . .

While I've never met Hector, the owner of Elk River Tool & Die, I have formed an internet friendship with him, receiving my most recent reply from him just this morning.  He has been most helpful to me and answers my questions within a day or two.   From what I know, he is a reputable and fine individual and  businessman.  Family issues were the main incentive to take him back home to Montana.   Hector, as most of you, really "loves" the entire AK series of firearms as do I, especially since I am finally on the correct side of them, being the shooter and no longer the target!

My latest request for assistance dealt with assessing why a Interarms wz88 Tantal trigger wouldn't reset itself after every shot.  Having fired actual AKs, which were battlefield pickups, many in atrocious shape, and having fired a number of commercial semi-auto AK clones from Ishvesk to Interarms, to Landcasters, they all were reliable with a capital "R"!    Of the three possibilities as to the cause of this first-time issue or a trigger refusing to reset itself after each and every shot, Hector provided, in order probability, three potential causes and fixes.  It turned out, he was "right on the money" by his first recommend cause and solution.  

Hector has in fact just moved back to Montana and is still getting settled-in.  I'm not sure of where his well-made receivers will be made, whether still in Houston under contract or whether that operation will be moved up tp Montana also.  Hector's "visit" to Houston was about 2.5 to 3 years in length.

In order to respect his privacy, I must refrain from listing his email.  However, I will let him know several of you are looking for him on this site all from a positive perspective.  In the interim, I suggest you communicate to him yourselves by looking  up Elk River Tool & Die on the net and use the email address contained therein in the interim.

Semper Fi,

USMC-0302
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Greetings . . .

While I've never met Hector, the owner of Elk River Tool & Die, I have formed an internet friendship with him, receiving my most recent reply from him just this morning.  He has been most helpful to me and answers my questions within a day or two.   From what I know, he is a reputable and fine individual and  businessman.  Family issues were the main incentive to take him back home to Montana.   Hector, as most of you, really "loves" the entire AK series of firearms as do I, especially since I am finally on the correct side of them, being the shooter and no longer the target!

My latest request for assistance dealt with assessing why a Interarms wz88 Tantal trigger wouldn't reset itself after every shot.  Having fired actual AKs, which were battlefield pickups, many in atrocious shape, and having fired a number of commercial semi-auto AK clones from Ishvesk to Interarms, to Landcasters, they all were reliable with a capital "R"!    Of the three possibilities as to the cause of this first-time issue or a trigger refusing to reset itself after each and every shot, Hector provided, in order probability, three potential causes and fixes.  It turned out, he was "right on the money" by his first recommend cause and solution.  

Hector has in fact just moved back to Montana and is still getting settled-in.  I'm not sure of where his well-made receivers will be made, whether still in Houston under contract or whether that operation will be moved up tp Montana also.  Hector's "visit" to Houston was about 2.5 to 3 years in length.

In order to respect his privacy, I must refrain from listing his email.  However, I will let him know several of you are looking for him on this site all from a positive perspective.  In the interim, I suggest you communicate to him yourselves by looking  up Elk River Tool & Die on the net and use the email address contained therein in the interim.

Semper Fi,

USMC-0302

Thanks for the info Hector err  mean USMC

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
We Have Moved Back To Montana!!!
I have moved back to be with my family after 2 1/2 years in Houston.
The receiver business is set up in Houston to which I am happy to say we'll be releasing a whole new receiver with all trunnion holes in all calibers and models in 1mm and soon in 1.5mm for the bulged receiver.
Thank you all for your continue trust and patients!!! I will be writing a story soon about this business on an AK forum about what has happened in Houston and the people who have tried to ......... well you'll be able to read for yourselves soon. It's a story you'll love if you enjoy this rifle as I do, the AK!!!
Thank you for your continued patients, trust in quality and assurance that you will be taken care of if you have any problems.
Hector E Bennett, President

Here, it isn't a big secret:

Address     Elk River Tool and Die, Inc.
                    111 South Broadway
                    Belgrade, MT 59714

Phone/Fax  Office: 406.585.0099
   Fax: 406.585.0099

http://www.elkrivertoolanddie.com/index.html
Email    [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
MG42––Slayer, USMC_0302 is a customer and a true Gentleman/Hero of this country. It's true though I'm a Marine but my MOS was 0331, I ran the "PIG" - M-60.

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. It is such a great feeling to be back in Montana. During the 2 1/2 years I did have some fun in Houston and met some really great people there! I will be writting a story about my time in Houston, it will open your eyes to what went on behind the scene at Elk River. I won't pull any punches with the pre-madonna gunsmiths, managers (especially you) and some others involved. It will blow your mind what went on and still going on!!

Our receivers will be made in Houston and all assembly will be done in Montana. Our new receiver will have all trunnion holes for all calibers and models in 1mm. We will have a 1.6mm coming soon, "slab" side as well as "bulged" receiver in the summer (fingers crossed). Right now we are finishing up the AK74, AKM, Polish and Romy underfolder then we will work on the Bulgy/Russian side fold and AMD side fold.

We have added the extra "Y", third selector notch with the receiver marked "S A F", as well as a step down in the selector hole opposite the key hole to all 1mm receivers. We won't be doing special serial numbers or markings at this time, sorry gentlemen.

A large "Thank You" goes out to all my customers who have shown GREAT patience during this move. I will start returning projects next week.

Hector E Bennett
President
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, if they are moving to Montana then thats a minus for Houston for AK afficionados (wish they stayed in town).

Look on the bright side––it's good news for us in MT.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe a newly stamped receiver for Romanian RPK's sure would be an exciting product!

Lots of folks are looking for these since other "sources" for them stopped production.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Also, perhaps a short run of RPK 74 receivers? There seem to be a number of people (including myself) who still have kits to build.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top