BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 44
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 1:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H2O_MAN] [#1]

Very nice B_D!

Have you posted details of what you have?
What rail system are you using?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By H2O_MAN:
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/lunadescent/DSC04775.jpg

Very nice B_D!

Thanks.

Those are Midwest Ind. rails, looking to get a pair myself. Their AR-15 rails are great!
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By H2O_MAN:
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/lunadescent/DSC04775.jpg

Very nice B_D!

Thanks.

Midwest Yugo quad rail, Primary Arms micro dot gen 3 with killflash, TLR-1 with C-4 led, Magpul AFG, Magpul MS2 sling, and Hogue pistol grip all on a Century M70AB2.

Still need to upgrade to some XS night sights, an A2 flashider,  and replace the trigger for a nice double hook and she will be done.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Practical 74

Work in progress.  MI Rail, MD Arms Molot style grip, Aimpoint Micro, Vltor AR buttstock adaptor, Surefire Scout Light, Danger Close Consulting Scout Light mount.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome rigs!

Let's see more, more, more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Another Krebs KTR with a few tweaks
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MJ1:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/441d1468.jpg

....................MJ......................

67/68
.RVN.

A Galil grip and an HK port buffer??
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By xjedix:
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
That's a lot of work to get an AK to be like an AR.

Only difference is this one is throwing 2x the lead with each squeeze.

D.

he does have a point.  I love my AKs
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Work in progress:
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like it's done to me.  What else do you have planned?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 11:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EB_311] [#13]
cell phone pic

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's one I built for a guy I work with/for, mine will be similar but SBR and in 7.62

Specs.
Champion pistol in .223

Reworked front sight to mp5 style
UTG rail––I was surprised here at steadiness
plastic front site
Welded and fit rear cover
Added a sight on top cover
Stippled AR grip and used an adapter
Added rear sling mount
Cerakoted FDE w/ Black camo (one of my better ones I will say)

PM me if you're interested in some of those sights as I have beaucoup

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#15]

My AK with an identity crises, have a 100 series folder I was planning on putting on, but I might do an ACE so I could have a left side charging handle
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#16]
SGL-21 sporting a M.I. Quad rail and an EOtech 512...

Best group so far, 2.75", EOtech reticle did not contrast well with the orange at 100yds so it was a guessing game to get the reticle where I wanted it...

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

Originally Posted By MJ1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/441d1468.jpg

....................MJ......................

67/68

.RVN.

A Galil grip and an HK port buffer??

I think it's actually a Valmet port buffer since they're designed for an AK receiver cover.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 11:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Masterbeef] [#18]
My latest effort to keep up with H20_Man and all his cool shit.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:54:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mustangduckk] [#19]

Mods:
Side rail
Red dot (cheapo till I break down and buy a PK-A)
UTG quad rail
Smith and Wesson flashlight, cuz hogs tend to like the dark
Hogue grip

Not too tacticool, everything has a function. I've bought a few more things for it, but I ended up taking them off cuz they didn't add to the performance of the rifle. Still in the market for a better stock... maybe ACE?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 4:28:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRACKISH20] [#21]

For shits and giggles
Polish WZ88 tantal with MI handguard rail, viking tactical light mount, and Fenix PD30 light
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Century Arms WSAR-10

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not really a big fan of "modernized/tactical" versions of AK variants, but this one.... me likey mucho!!
I STOLE this pic off snipers hide from a poster named 'robino', its a firingline build.

This and any 'krink' like it float my boat.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ago-Fidelis:
I'm not really a big fan of "modernized/tactical" versions of AK variants, but this one.... me likey mucho!!
I STOLE this pic off snipers hide from a poster named 'robino', its a firingline build.

This and any 'krink' like it float my boat.

LOVE it

Link Posted: 5/15/2010 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#27]
magpul AFG
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWarhammer] [#29]
Originally Posted By Fields_Overseer:

what foregrip is that?

It's a CAA lower (green) with a Magpul AFG (black). I did a little bit of filing on the AFG so that it would sit farther back, leaving the front of the CAA and Magpul flush. Unmodified, the AFG extended about an inch past the end of the CAA lower.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TheWarhammer:

It's a CAA lower (green) with a Magpul AFG (black). I did a little bit of filing on the AFG so that it would sit farther back, leaving the front of the CAA and Magpul flush. Unmodified, the AFG extended about an inch past the end fo the CAA lower.

thank you, i knew it was the afg, but never saw a forend have it fit so well, if it was the same color it would look damn near one piece.  Good job!  I may have to try it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GDubya:
Another Krebs KTR with a few tweaks
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/GDubyaS45/KTR08RHS.jpg

I see you have the Krebs rail? DOes it heep the scope zeroed very well after moving up and down to take the ak apart?
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#32]

I'd really like to own an AK like this.
Clint
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry but I don't have anything to contribute at this point, although I am currently planning a practical AK and just picked up another AK for the purpose a couple of weeks ago.

I hate to show my ignorance, but what exactly is the Magpul AFG?  What is its purpose?  How is it properly gripped and utilized?  And, do you find it to be a significant improvement over the more traditional HG.  Never been much for VFGs of rifles but I've never tried one of these so I'm curious about it.

I guess I tend to be a KISS type and avoid adding doo-dads just for the sake of having them.  But, if something adds significant value with no detriment I don't want to dismiss it prematurely.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Fields_Overseer:
thank you, i knew it was the afg, but never saw a forend have it fit so well, if it was the same color it would look damn near one piece.  Good job!  I may have to try it.

Thanks! The AFG sits forward, like this (not my pic), if you don't modify it.

That felt like too much of a reach for me, so I modified it to sit further back. All it took was a little judicious filing at the rear of the AFG to make it match the contours of the CAA lower.

This moved it 1" back. It was pretty easy and only took me about 10 minutes to do.

Originally Posted By Imaposer2:
...but what exactly is the Magpul AFG?  What is its purpose?  How is it properly gripped and utilized?  And, do you find it to be a significant improvement over the more traditional HG.  Never been much for VFGs of rifles but I've never tried one of these so I'm curious about it.

AFG stands for "Angled Fore Grip." It's a newer option that gives an alternative to a standard or stubby Vertical Fore Grip (VFG). Personally, I think it's very comfortable. When I use a VFG, I tend to grip it at and angle, with part of my hand on the VFG and part of my hand on the lower handguard. The AFG provides a very similar grip position. It's really a personal preference thing. What feels great to me may seem really awkward to someone else. You'd just have to try it to see if it works for you.

The AFG comes with two inserts for the bottom of the grip. One (Magpul calls it the A2 insert) has a little nub, like on the top pic in this post, and the other is flat. I didn't like the feel of the nub, so I installed the flat insert. On an AK, the AFG has the added benefit of being low-profile enough not to interfere with mag changes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I want one. I bought a verticle fore grip, but that definitely interfered with mag changes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, thanks for the reply.  After posting the above questions I did a little research and found some online reviews.  They said pretty much the same as you.  I guess I'd have to try one to see if it fit me or not since it seems to just be a personal preference sort of thing.  Seems some people like them and some don't.
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]
 I'm still strangly drawn to that rifle... and one similar belonging to TX-Zen.

Damnit!  Quit posting it!

I must resist...

I must RESIST...

I MUST RESIST!

Resistance is futile.

But I really don't need it, or need to drop the load of cash to buy and pay uncle sam the tax.

Oh well, still like to dream.

Nice weapon.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 3:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naf] [#40]

Originally Posted By Imaposer2:

Sorry but I don't have anything to contribute at this point, although I am currently planning a practical AK and just picked up another AK for the purpose a couple of weeks ago.

I hate to show my ignorance, but what exactly is the Magpul AFG?  What is its purpose?  How is it properly gripped and utilized?  And, do you find it to be a significant improvement over the more traditional HG.  Never been much for VFGs of rifles but I've never tried one of these so I'm curious about it.

I guess I tend to be a KISS type and avoid adding doo-dads just for the sake of having them.  But, if something adds significant value with no detriment I don't want to dismiss it prematurely.

The AFG is for this kind of rifle hold (not my pic).  Never tried it, but it looks incredibly unnatural and uncomfortable.

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 3:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dieter122] [#41]
the AFG...

barbie accessory.   Good money maker for all those who hop onboard for anything that has "MAGPUL" stamped on it.

unfortunately its pretty useless.  And awkward.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dieter122:
the AFG...

barbie accessory.   Good money maker for all those who hop onboard for anything that has "MAGPUL" stamped on it.

I said the same thing... then a buddy loaned me his for a weekend.  

Then I got my own and did some mods to it, trimmed it up so a TLR-1 fits right up next to it, cut off the front 2" because I only use the angled part.  It is not as awkward or uncomfortable as you think and really allows you to control your muzzle.

Get over yourself and really give it a try before you shit on it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#43]
the AFG...

Asshat much?
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#44]
the AFG...

Translation: "It doesn't work for me, so I'm going to rip on everyone who does like it."
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 11:21:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dieter122] [#45]
Originally Posted By AJSully421:
the AFG...

Then I got my own and did some mods to it, trimmed it up so a TLR-1 fits right up next to it, cut off the front 2" because I only use the angled part.  It is not as awkward or uncomfortable as you think and really allows you to control your muzzle.

I have tried it...on a M4 type.  No thanks.

this is about as useful as "AK RECOIL BUFFERS".  

If a $3 piece of plastic REALLY enhanced ones grip and the ergonomics of rifles, it would of been invented awhile ago.  I dont see this AFG as a groundbreaking piece.  Its more a fad.  That is my opinion of course.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AJSully421:
the AFG...

I have tried it...on a M4 type.  No thanks.

this is about as useful as "AK RECOIL BUFFERS".  

If a $3 piece of plastic REALLY enhanced ones grip and the ergonomics of rifles, it would of been invented awhile ago.  I dont see this AFG as a groundbreaking piece.  Its more a fad.  That is my opinion of course.

http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/afg_9-tfb.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6264/afg41tfbtm.jpg

That's a pretty impressive statement of personal ignorance...  Oh well, nothing new here.

The AFG has been debated to death on the AR boards.  Do a search there.  Basically its a product that facilitates the hand forward grip that has been developed, and proved, by the competitive (read 3 Gun) community to be one of the most effective means of controlling recoil and muzzle jump and indexing the muzzle quickly between multiple targets.  This grip has finally made its way into the mainstream of military training and shooting.  

And like most all the other innovations developed in the competition sports which have become mainstream like red dot sights and muzzle brakes and free float fore-ends...its amazing to  those with simple minds to small to imagined it themselves, that it could work at all...
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#47]
For my ak it puts my wrist in a more natural position. The stock hand guards put a weird kink in my wrist almost like Im trying to turn it inside out. When I angle my wrist the correct way to hold it theres such a small grip surface that it doesn't make any sense to not go this or a stubby fore grip route.

Anyway this is a picture thread not a product bashing thread.
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Slug64:
For my ak it puts my wrist in a more natural position. The stock hand guards put a weird kink in my wrist almost like Im trying to turn it inside out. When I angle my wrist the correct way to hold it theres such a small grip surface that it doesn't make any sense to not go this or a stubby fore grip route.

Anyway this is a picture thread not a product bashing thread.

+1 I don't use it as pictured on the AR above. I use it in place of a stubby VFG and it feels very natural.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 9:19:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H2O_MAN] [#50]
Originally Posted By Naf:

The AFG is for this kind of rifle hold (not my pic).
Never tried it, but it looks incredibly unnatural and uncomfortable.

The AFG does not have to be used in such an unorthodox manner.
Move it to a location that works best for you.

I have located mine in a practical, functional and comfortable location.

I'm trying it on one of my M14s

Page / 44
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top