Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2009 11:10:36 AM EDT
Does anyone own one of these?  Do they suck or should I get something else?

I am looking for a cheap fun to shoot AK.  I do not care about asthetics.

Thanks
Max

http://www.greenmountaintactical.com/Century_Arms_GP_1975_AK_Style_Rifle_p/cia-gp1975.htm

Century International Arms' model GP-1975 AK47 is built from a Romanian parts kit using a brand new barrel and receiver. The rifle uses brand new American made compliance parts, including Tapco furniture. These are great AK clones, very reliable and fun to shoot.

Caliber: 7.62x39
Barrel Length: 16"
Finish: Black parkerized
Furniture: Black synthetic
Magazines: 2 30-round
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks TBS.

I am on my way to pick one up.

Max
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked one up not too long ago. The gas piston rivet came out first time to the range. Aside from that it functions smooth and shoots great.
Negatives are the barrel is not chrome lined (not really a huge deal IMO) and they are from century. As long as your sights are straight you should be happy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one, got it a few months back:

I got rid of the Tapco furniture and upgraded with Kvar. I also added a XS 24/7 big dot front sight (I have them on all my AKs) and a Phantom flash hider.
It is the most accurate of all my AKs but it only feeds 100% reliable with Bulgy Waffle mags- so I stocked up and got eight for it.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is the most accurate of all my AKs but it only feeds 100% reliable with Bulgy Waffle mags- so I stocked up and got eight for it.
Dave

Well that is dissapointing. What other magazines did you try with it? I was considering buying a couple for my sons, but if it only likes Bulgy Waffle magazines it isn't worth it to me.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone own one of these?  Do they suck or should I get something else?

I am looking for a cheap fun to shoot AK.  I do not care about asthetics.

Thanks
Max

http://www.greenmountaintactical.com/Century_Arms_GP_1975_AK_Style_Rifle_p/cia-gp1975.htm

Century International Arms' model GP-1975 AK47 is built from a Romanian parts kit using a brand new barrel and receiver. The rifle uses brand new American made compliance parts, including Tapco furniture. These are great AK clones, very reliable and fun to shoot.

Caliber: 7.62x39
Barrel Length: 16"
Finish: Black parkerized
Furniture: Black synthetic
Magazines: 2 30-round

500 for a century?  Buy an Arsenal from K-Var for not much more.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dave

Well that is dissapointing. What other magazines did you try with it? I was considering buying a couple for my sons, but if it only likes Bulgy Waffle magazines it isn't worth it to me.

mine uses any of them just fine

as usual they are century builds. may need tweaking.

I agree that it just my rifle and that each one varies in what mags work with it.
Mine is just funny in that it does well with the bugly mags and also Tapco plastic mags, which I use only as range mags.

Dave.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you can get them cheaper at J&G sales.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The GP1975 doesn't have the chrome lined barrel, just something to think about.  Classic arms has them as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a total of 4, GP-1975 rifles. All run well with most any magazine I stick in them. I feel they represent one of the best "bang for your buck" AK-47 deals out there. All of mine came with straight sights, and all were really nice clean rifles for the price. The prices on most AK-47 models is finally settling down since all of the post election craziness. Right now the supply of these AK's is quite good. For someone who wants a nice, inexpensive AK-47 they are the way to go.  Bill T.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Myself I don't want anything that Century has put their hands on. Just me if price is important that's up to you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Myself I don't want anything that Century has put their hands on. Just me if price is important that's up to you.

then you will miss out.

i have had several century guns. Almost all needed some work out of the box but all ended up great rifles at significantly lower cost than the competition. sure i'd prefer perfection, but in the milsurp kit build market it simply doesn't exisit.

when looking at AR-15 the range between the poorest and best is about $400+ dollars. Now when looking at AKs the same range is about from $100 to $150. If $150.

Now if someone is worried about spending and extra $100 to $150 for a better quality AK.maybe they should just buy into airsoft rifles.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got my wasr uf from AIM. It's my 4th AK (Bulgarian,Saiga,Hungarian,before the Romanian) It's a century import.
This is the best rifle out of all I own. Maybe it was a fluke,but I really got a nice Romanian. And it does have a chrome barrel.
Take a look at AIM, I don't work for them I just know I got a very good AK from them. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1+ Why risk getting a piece of crap?
Spend the extra money.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree but they are a major importer of the cheaper ak's... Id get a wasr if i had the money since I do want a fixed stock AK, but really even IF I had the money for one (I want a .22 pistol before I get another ak) I would have to shoot it first or have the gun store agree to let me return it if its a DUD. I spent way too much money on making my M70 work like it should have.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just got my wasr uf from AIM. It's my 4th AK (Bulgarian,Saiga,Hungarian,before the Romanian) It's a century import.
This is the best rifle out of all I own. Maybe it was a fluke,but I really got a nice Romanian. And it does have a chrome barrel.
Take a look at AIM, I don't work for them I just know I got a very good AK from them. Hope this helps.

Your WASR is better than your Bulgarian, Hungarian and RUSSIAN (Saiga) AK's???

That's something I've never heard before.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then you will miss out.

i have had several century guns. Almost all needed some work out of the box but all ended up great rifles at significantly lower cost than the competition. sure i'd prefer perfection, but in the milsurp kit build market it simply doesn't exisit.

when looking at AR-15 the range between the poorest and best is about $400+ dollars. Now when looking at AKs the same range is about from $100 to $150. If $150.

Now if someone is worried about spending and extra $100 to $150 for a better quality AK.maybe they should just buy into airsoft rifles.

that gap is about 250-300.00 here

A S&W 15T AR15  is now selling around  for around $1,400, My Arsenal SGL20 SAIGA was $700 and a while back I think someone said they were $600. Still a quality AK at far less then a quality AR. And IMHO the AK is a better all around rifle.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top