Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2009 9:44:31 AM EDT
So admittedly Im an AK fan.  I have a new SGL-76 coming which will be mine in a few days, and Id like a collapsible stock for it as the current one doesnt do it for me.  It is Nato length, and a bit too long.  

What collapsible stock is best ergonomically/length of pull etc?  I hear Tapco is good, Id like to know your opinions

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure fell in love with the ace stock, they do look great
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
There's an AK->AR adapter for M4 collapsible stocks.  I use it on my Saiga 12 and love it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a TGI 74 that I put a VLTOR M4 conversion tube on, and am running a Magpul CTR stock.  Very solid, shortens it up about 1 1/2" over the standard AK stock, great cheek weld for the irons and cowitnessed Aimpoint.  Got it all at Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I just put a VLTOR with a club foot on my TGI/Inrange 74. I like it a lot.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=123397&page=1&#981601
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
A good question to consider also is whether attaching one will require any modification to the tangs

All the instructions I see for installation of the Tapco one are on single tang receivers leading me to believe that you may have to remove the bottom tang but I haven't found a definitive answer
Ace makes a nice but expensive collapsible and folding one and requires no modification

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=123397&page=1󯩡

The Vltor is another nice high quality one. Was any tang modification necessary for the installation of yours?
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A good question to consider also is whether attaching one will require any modification to the tangs

All the instructions I see for installation of the Tapco one are on single tang receivers leading me to believe that you may have to remove the bottom tang but I haven't found a definitive answer
Ace makes a nice but expensive collapsible and folding one and requires no modification

Quoted:

The Vltor is another nice high quality one. Was any tang modification necessary for the installation of yours?

None at all.  Remove the old stock, put in the VLTOR with the two screws provided.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#7]
CAA Makes a very good 6-position stock that can be added with no modifications to the gun. The "buffer tube" has a removable rubber cap, so you can use the hollow tube for storage. The stock has a side rail that will accept the CAA adjustable cheek rest, which is nice if you have an optic on your rifle. My rifle has a combination of the CAA stock and the ACE folding stock mechanism.

Link Posted: 11/17/2009 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if the Arsenal SGL-20s are single or double tang ??  Any responses would be appreciated

Thanks

-M
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Single
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
CAA Makes a very good 6-position stock that can be added with no modifications to the gun. The "buffer tube" has a removable rubber cap, so you can use the hollow tube for storage. The stock has a side rail that will accept the CAA adjustable cheek rest, which is nice if you have an optic on your rifle. My rifle has a combination of the CAA stock and the ACE folding stock mechanism.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP2420.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP2421.jpg

So that is an ACE aluminum collapsible/folding tube and CAA stock? Thats exactly what i am looking for, already have the stock too. Does ace sell the tube separate?
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

None at all.  Remove the old stock, put in the VLTOR with the two screws provided.

But thats because yours is a single tang and if it had the double tang the bottom would need to be removed? I'm in the same boat as the op, luckily I have a single tang but still trying to learn as much as I can
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So that is an ACE aluminum collapsible/folding tube and CAA stock? Thats exactly what i am looking for, already have the stock too. Does ace sell the tube separate?

The stock and tube are CAA. The receiver block, hinge and the part the tube screws into are from ACE. ACE does sell the tube separate.

Here's a list of the ACE parts I bought:
Internal Receiver Block - This does require you to cut off the rear tang, but it shortens the setup compared to the External Receiver Block.
Folding Stock Mechanism (FSM) - this is what makes it fold. I got the one with the  tapped hole for a sling mount.
CAR15 Stock Block (pig nose) - Bolts to the FSM and allows you to screw on any commercial (non- mil spec) AR/CAR buffer tube.
Clip Sling Mount - Screws onto the side of the FSM to give an sling mounting point.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stock and tube are CAA. The receiver block, hinge and the part the tube screws into are from ACE. ACE does sell the tube separate.

Here's a list of the ACE parts I bought:
Internal Receiver Block - This does require you to cut off the rear tang, but it shortens the setup compared to the External Receiver Block.
Folding Stock Mechanism (FSM) - this is what makes it fold. I got the one with the  tapped hole for a sling mount.
CAR15 Stock Block (pig nose) - Bolts to the FSM and allows you to screw on any commercial (non- mil spec) AR/CAR buffer tube.
Clip Sling Mount - Screws onto the side of the FSM to give an sling mounting point.

Linky's aren't working but thanks I figured out which ones you are talking about, that is a sweet set up and I already have everything but the pig nose You saved me tons of cash thanks for the help sincerely
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#14]
VLTOR tube and EMOD...but I'd be willing to try the ACS these days.  I had the ACE, and then got a VLTOR––after the VLTOR, I switched the ACE out for another VLTOR.  They really are very nice, though spendy.  Still have to use loctite on the threads.  I had to open up the sling loop on the EMOD (with a Dremel) to get the E.German sling through the loop hole.  It was hard to man up to it, but I did it.  Here's some pics to help:
ACE external adapter:

SAIGA with VLTOR/EMOD:

Link Posted: 11/18/2009 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
VLTOR AK47/AKM/AKS Stock Adapter and Extension with a SOPMOD

Link Posted: 11/18/2009 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 VLTORs, they are the best out there imo. Plus they are mil spec tubes, so you can get all the cool stocks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the FSM-AR from ace would work well. You would not need the pig nose adapter, as it is one pc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Linky's aren't working but thanks I figured out which ones you are talking about, that is a sweet set up and I already have everything but the pig nose You saved me tons of cash thanks for the help sincerely

Sorry about the dead links, but I'm glad that helped you. I've really been happy with this setup. ACE makes really top-notch stuff.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think the FSM-AR from ace would work well. You would not need the pig nose adapter, as it is one pc.

The reason I got the FSM and pig nose separately is that it gives me another point of adjustability for comb height. I can move the pig nose up and down on the FSM, The FSM-AR would hold the stock tube up much higher than the FSM/pig nose. Also, a CAR stock would look a little odd (IMO) screwed into the AR block due to the extra metal at the bottom of the tear drop.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Just be aware that CAA stock bodies do not go toward 922 compliance. They are not US made.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#21]
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/tjk45rocket/AKM_RightStock.jpg" />

I have an Ace folding stock on my AK.  The rear tang was removed to install it but I find it extremely solid and great choice.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77/tjk45rocket/AKM_RightStock.jpg" target="_blank">My ACE AK Folding Stock

P.S.  Bear with me if the links/images don't work.  I'm read the board for over a year but this is my first time posting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have 2 VLTORs, they are the best out there imo.
Plus they are mil spec tubes, so you can get all the cool stocks.

Yep and the VLTOR uses rock solid, all-metal screws and mounting hardware.

Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just be aware that CAA stock bodies do not go toward 922 compliance. They are not US made.

buckmeister

This is true. CAA stocks are currently made in Israel, although they day they have plans to move production here to the US in the future. It didn't really matter to me since I don't need any of the stock parts to be US-made for 922r.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top