User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Would someone be better off converting a Saiga or a Zastava?

Saiga comes with a chrome lined bore.  Zastava comes with a RPK trunnion.  Minor differences here and there, whatever your preferences are.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]

I'd rap that back end with some black tape hiding that slant and a pistol grip and be done with it.  If some one ever makes a stock with the slant then I'd change it over.  I'll be looking at the gunshow for one in two weeks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks pretty damn nice for only $400.  About $100 cheaper than a WASR, not built by Century, a shame it doesn't take normal magazines, but it doesn't really look like it would be too difficult to dremel/file out the magazine well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive just run across a problem with opening the mag well...The side tabs will easily come out, but I have discovered that the front trunion, where the front of the mag sits is more narrow than a normal front trunion. If you open the mag well, a normal cap will not fit into the front trunion. You can then grind out the inside of the front trunion, but then you will also be grinding down the back of the rivet, which will require you to replace those rivets. Not the biggest problem, but I thought Id let you know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive just run across a problem with opening the mag well...The side tabs will easily come out, but I have discovered that the front trunion, where the front of the mag sits is more narrow than a normal front trunion. If you open the mag well, a normal cap will not fit into the front trunion. You can then grind out the inside of the front trunion, but then you will also be grinding down the back of the rivet, which will require you to replace those rivets. Not the biggest problem, but I thought Id let you know.

Yeah, that could be a problem. When Century imports the Wasr, even though the magwell is cut for the skinny 10 round mags, the gun is built with the Hi cap trunion, knowing the magwell will be hogged out at Century. Hopefully the importer here in the US will ask the factory to do the same & use the HI cap trunion.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
The early single stack WASRs had the narrow trunion as well and required you to grind them out for the double stack magazine.  I did one and had the same issue with the mag well rivet being ground on.  I never replaced mine and have had no problems with them.  The rivet holds with more than just the head that if formed on the back side.  They are easy to replace, so it would be no big deal either way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were going to import an AK into this country I would make it so it would be super easy to convert to standard configuration.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I was also just comparing the single stack mag to a normal AK mag and it seems that the mag catch is higher on the single stack....meaning that you may have to grind down the mag catch latch, depending on wether a normal mag will clear the latch or not....they sure dont make this conversion stuff easy.....

also, before I do any modifications, at what point do the 922 regs kick in? If I open the mag well will I have to replace parts with US made parts, or does replacing the butthole stock do it, or all of those? depending on the answer, I may just leave it as a single stack
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]
where can these be had readily online for purchase?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If I were going to import an AK into this country I would make it so it would be super easy to convert to standard configuration.

Let us know when your import operation is up and running...
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If anyone has one of these and would like to sell that butt stock get in touch with me. I'm going to start a Saiga 308/Saiganov project and I'd like to try to adapt that stock to it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bryan @ AIM said he was going to look into them
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats! That is unbelievable quality for the money!  Bill T.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
i wonder if that stock would fit on a psl?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope so, I wouldnt mind one, and an unconverted 16inch 7.62x39 Saiga (sold my last 2 I had)
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#17]
that's nice looking wood and the cheekpiece would make it great with one of the soviet scopes, might be a fun bargain shooter, anyone know which wholesalers are selling these?
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag.

And I never thought I'd actually like the look of a butthole stock! I would prefer that over a regular pistol grip! (provided I still had 2-3 AK's with pistol grips ).

Looking forward to hearing more about these!
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#19]
this honest guy had them for $350 plus $20 shipping, NIB. He is out now but plans to get more. I am on the list....<><....:)

Reed1911
GBO Sponsor
Trade Count: (8)

Serbian AK-47 7.62x39 Beautiful Monty Carlo Thumbhole Stock NIB FS
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:52:28 PM » Quote  

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Brand new in the box, A Serbian AK-47 chambered in 7.62x39 with a beautiful monty-carlo thumbhole wood stock. Adjustable sights, hooded front adjustable sight, one mag included. Cost is 350.00, S/H Will be a flat 20.00

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

serb1.JPG (62.24 KB, 682x512 - viewed 59 times.)

serb2.JPG (58.41 KB, 682x512 - viewed 41 times.)

serb3.JPG (46.35 KB, 682x512 - viewed 51 times.)

serb4.JPG (41.25 KB, 682x512 - viewed 34 times.)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:56:47 PM by Reed1911 »  Report to moderator    Logged  

Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
[email protected]
www.reedsammo.com
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

this honest guy had them for $350 plus $20 shipping, NIB. He is out now but plans to get more. I am on the list....<><....:)

Reed1911

GBO Sponsor

Trade Count: (8)

Serbian AK-47 7.62x39 Beautiful Monty Carlo Thumbhole Stock NIB FS

« on: June 11, 2009, 05:52:28 PM » Quote

Brand new in the box, A Serbian AK-47 chambered in 7.62x39 with a beautiful monty-carlo thumbhole wood stock. Adjustable sights, hooded front adjustable sight, one mag included. Cost is 350.00, S/H Will be a flat 20.00

serb1.JPG (62.24 KB, 682x512 - viewed 59 times.)

serb2.JPG (58.41 KB, 682x512 - viewed 41 times.)

serb3.JPG (46.35 KB, 682x512 - viewed 51 times.)

serb4.JPG (41.25 KB, 682x512 - viewed 34 times.)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:56:47 PM by Reed1911 » Report to moderator Logged

Ron Reed

Reed's Ammunition & Research

[email protected]

www.reedsammo.com

Where is this at? I see no mention of the PAP at reedsammo.com?

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Where is this at? I see no mention of the PAP at reedsammo.com?

Graybeard Outdoors ––  it's another online forum

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,175548.msg1098838165.html#msg1098838165

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for putting that hot link for those that might want it. I could not get it done so I just copied and pasted the info....<><....:)
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Someone check my count: to comply with 922r you would pretty much HAVE to replace the stock so that you can us a US-made pistol grip. Is that why everyone is so concerned about the stock? Frankly I kinda like the look of that stock.

But to be compliant you have to replace:
hammer
trigger
disconnector
grip
gas piston

That would do it (no muzzle device or US-made muzzle device)

my understanding is that an AKM cannot have more than 10 of the following parts (list taken from akfiles sticky)
1. Muzzle device                                                                                           (not applicable)
2. Barrel                                                                                                                    1
3. Gas piston                                                                                                922replacement
4. Handguards                                                                                                          2
5. Trunion (this is the front trunion, the rear trunion does not count)                       3
6. Bolt carrier                                                                                                             4
7. Bolt                                                                                                                         5
8. Receiver (on a milled reciever the trunnion (#5 this list) is not applicable)             6
9. Pistol grip                                                                                                      (not applicable with a thumbhole stock)
10. Buttstock                                                                                                              7
11. Hammer                                                                                                    922replacement
12. Sear                                                                                                          922replacement
13. Trigger                                                                                                       922replacement
14. Magazine body                                                                                                       8
15. Mag. Floorplate                                                                                                      9
16. Mag. follower                                                                                                        10

check with the atf and have some fun! for $400 how can you go wrong? (powertool incidents aside)

anybody see a problem with this list?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone check my count: to comply with 922r you would pretty much HAVE to replace the stock so that you can us a US-made pistol grip. Is that why everyone is so concerned about the stock? Frankly I kinda like the look of that stock.
But to be compliant you have to replace:

hammer

trigger

disconnector

grip

gas piston
That would do it (no muzzle device or US-made muzzle device)

my understanding is that an AKM cannot have more than 10 of the following parts (list taken from akfiles sticky)
* snipped *
check with the atf and have some fun! for $400 how can you go wrong? (powertool incidents aside)
anybody see a problem with this list?

I prefer to use this more "Official"  link to the Law (- and it's in saveable  .pdf form

)

27 C.F.R Section 478.39
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr478.39.pdf
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

(c) For purposes of this section, the

term imported parts are:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings,

forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates
[T.D. ATF–346, 58 FR 40589, July 29, 1993]

VerDate Jan<
––––––––––––––––––-

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks for the official link.

obviously that list isnt AK specific which is what the list i used was meant for.
in your list from the link would "trigger housing" be trigger guard? or not applicable to AK's like im assuming?

either way, the PAP "should" still be easily converted parts wise.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Here, this will make it easier to figure out.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top