Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/5/2017 2:00:25 AM EDT
There is a lot of disinformation on the internet about the "P" setting on the AK-47's rear sight.  If anyone is ever confused, I hope that this little bit of wisdom will help:

The “P” setting does not have the same trajectory as the “3” (300-meter) setting.

The “P” setting is not a 400 meter zero.

The “P” setting is considered the “Battle Sight” setting. With a properly zeroed AK, it is considered the “set-it-and-forget-it” sight setting for combat shooting out to approximately 300 yards.

The “P” setting is an 18 meter (19.5 yards) / 247 meter (270 yards) zero. If someone claims otherwise, then it is a pretty good indication that they don't have very much experience with the rifle. If you need proof, take a properly zeroed rifle (capable of hitting point-of-aim at 100 meters with the "1" setting). Set up a target at precisely 18 meters (19.5 yards). Place the rear sight on the "P" setting and take 3-5 carefully aimed shots from a beanbag or sandbag rested position. Your rounds will impact at your exact point-of-aim.

The “P” setting provides approximately +/- 7? from your point-of-aim out to 300 meters.

You can also zero your rifle by setting the rear sight to the “P” setting, zero at 18 meters (19.5 yards), and then verify zero at 100 meters (109 yards) with the “1” setting.

Use the “Battle Sight” setting for general / defensive shooting out to 300 meters and get hits within a +/- 7" from your point-of-aim. This is your best “set it and forget it” setting.[/ul]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why does everyone say that's  a "25 yard battle zero"??  I remember one class where they MADE you do that.

I always zeroed at 100 on the 1 setting and never had any issues.
View Quote
Because the US military does a 25 battle zero for their 5.56mm rifles. Different rifle firing a different cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why does everyone say that's  a "25 yard battle zero"??  I remember one class where they MADE you do that.

I always zeroed at 100 on the 1 setting and never had any issues.
View Quote
If you zero it 1" high at 25yards and then confirm at 100 *meters* with the sight on 1 you will find it works about the same.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Zeroing at 25 yards on 2 is pretty close to zero. My ballistic app says that it puts you a 1/2 MOA low but probably close enough for iron sight shooting and good enough to get it close to fine tune at longer range.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
cool good info I always zero at 100 meters but have a new rifle and want to check this out I will give it a shot and snap some pics. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
These targets do just that! www.remoteaccess17.com
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I zeroed at 100m/1 just like the Russians say. Slider is accurate all the way to 500 (far as I shot it so far). Then I saw a video "5 things you don't know about the AK".
In that video the US Army tested the AK and found the 14m was the correct "short range zero" distance. When I tested this theory, I found it to be true.
Either way, knowing the near zero is helpful for zeroing.
The sights do in fact work contrary to western belief.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top