Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 9:52:01 PM EDT
Is the gen 3 good to go? Saw the catastrophic failure with the gen 2. What's everyone's input on these dust cover rails?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is the gen 3 good to go? Saw the catastrophic failure with the gen 2. What's everyone's input on these dust cover rails?
View Quote

Would the "catastrophic failure" of the gen 2 happen to have been that the rail failed a drop test while it was open causing a $25 sacrificial part (the front tab) to bend in order to save the rest of rail as it was designed to do?

If so do you think you have enough common sense not to drop the gun while the dust cover is open?

If yes then the TWS is GTG my two gen 2's rock they return to zero everytime, they lock up tighter than hell even if I grab the bell of the scope and yank on it as hard as I can trying to get some play in the rail there is none, and they're lighter than side mounts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would the "catastrophic failure" of the gen 2 happen to have been that the rail failed a drop test while it was open causing a $25 sacrificial part (the front tab) to bend in order to save the rest of rail as it was designed to do?

If so do you think you have enough common sense not to drop the gun while the dust cover is open?

If yes then the TWS is GTG my two gen 2's rock they return to zero everytime, they lock up tighter than hell even if I grab the bell of the scope and yank on it as hard as I can trying to get some play in the rail there is none, and they're lighter than side mounts.
View Quote

FPNI

I ended up selling mine because I just use an UltiMAK gas tube rail for a TRS-25 red dot. But my gen 2 TWS was just fine, sure, other systems out there may be better in certain regards. Like that Zenit Co. rail that hinges into a fore grip. But it's also quite a lot more money.

To me its kind of like a 'cheap' Bushnell TRS25 compared to an Aimpoint. Sure the Aimpoint is going to handle being hit with a sledge-hammer a little better, but is that the most common problem to run into in reality?

My 'cheapo' red dot handles heat, recoil, general handling, including drops, and retains zero. Sure, it might not withstand a frag-grenade going off 1" from it; but neither would I... I also like being able to outfit 4 of my rifles with a good sight, rather than soak up all those same funds to only get one sight for one rifle....

Oh and FYI, I love AK Operators Union. But just because they do something to torture an accessory or optic / whatever, doesn't mean its shit and not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 tws gen 2 and they are g2g.  I've tested by throwing ak 20 feet in air onto rocks and it kept zero. Russian special forces use em sometimes, can't be too bad. ZenitCo is heavier.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool beans. Looks like I'll drop much Dinero on my future upcoming milled ak. I want the gen 2 because of the sight leaf you can get for it.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top