Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/25/2016 5:35:01 AM EDT
Been using a chicom chest rig for a while now and I like it for the most part however, the lugs on the mag sometimes catches on the top of the pouch and that really bugs me. Not too upset because I only spent $12 on it. What are some good chest rigs that can hold at least four mags, a medical kit, and maybe a few extras that works well over a slick plate carrier?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of an older UW Gear Minute Man 3 rig they built for me using SURPAT material that I supplied to them. The basic rig is 3 cell with molle on either side of the cells. It is light weight and very adjustable, should work well over a plate carrier. I have some Russian taco pouches added to mine but you can see the open molle in the second pic
Mag retention is a no snap design. A tab slides into a slot for each pouch so you have a quiet retention method

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
UW Gear is the bees knees!! I have a couple of their products (an AK74 chest rig and a AK47 Bandoleer). Very well made gear.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend the Strike Hard Gear AK chest rig; quality material and work, and it gives you plenty of storage capacity for mags and other things.
I'd add the 4 mag shingle so you can carry 8 mags in the regular pouches with bungee cord retention.

Chest Rig:
http://strikehardgear.com/ak-47-chest-rig/

Shingle:
http://strikehardgear.com/ak-47-molle-magazine-shingle/

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
MAC do you think 8 mags on the chest is workable? I have not tried to run that many myself, usually do 3 on the chest and 2 on the belt

Z
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MAC do you think 8 mags on the chest is workable? I have not tried to run that many myself, usually do 3 on the chest and 2 on the belt

Z
View Quote

I've run it with out any noticeable issue; it's much easier to run 8 mags 4 across and two deep than 9 mags 3 across and 3 deep, especially in the prone.

I have seen some people run 6 across the front two deep and put two facing downwards on one side almost under their armpit.

It really depends on what you intend to do with your rig; personally I'd rather have more ammo than less.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not really tried it but always felt that 6 or 8 on the chest might be too much but to be honest have not really given it a proper look. Good info thanks, I appreciate your perspective

I personally use the chest rig as the reload/admin carry and do tactical reloads from the tacos on the belt unless prone. I've never been against more mags but chest 3+ belt 2 or chest 5+belt 2 has worked for me. Recently I picked up some Russian ANA made double taco clones and was going to experiment with 5 on the chest and 4 on the belt

Z
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]
US Palm makes a pretty nice AK rig, not crazy expensive, but wouldn't call it cheap either... Or you could look at their other 'multi-platform' stuff, but I only have first-hand use with the AK attack rig version 2... Its solid, but mine lacked decent shoulder pads. I had extra to make it work just fine, but that's my main gripe...
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top