Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2016 12:04:38 AM EDT
I want to run a red dot on my ak47,I want to put an Aimpoint Pro on it but the Sparc 2 has caught my attention. Anyone have experience with this brand or model in particular? Durability/reliability,or should I just save up and buy the Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it has been a great sight for what it is.
I'm not a tier one operator, so it suits my needs well.
One of the biggest selling points of Aimpoint is battery life.  It will blow the battery life of the SPARC away if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes battery life is a big deal to me, I have been impatient in the past and bought junk instead of waiting to buy better stuff. Still the price and few reviews I have read seem good for the Sparc 2
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, it's been good to me. Took it through a couple of carbine classes, probably ~1000 rounds through her, still works no problems. I don't know if I'd operate in Assfuckastan with it but there is a torture test of the Sparc2 floating around and it took it like a champ. Excellent Vortex warranty helps too. Con is the battery life vs. Aimpoint.

What is your intended purpose for your AK? If it's going to be your one serious business gun, I'd save a little more for an Aimpoint. If it's going to be a semi-disposable truck gun or weekend plinker, Vortex fits the role nicely.

EDIT: Found the torture test -> LINKY

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I want it to be my business gun for sure! La police gear has the best price on them ( the Aimpoint) and every once in awhile they run a 10-20% discount on any product. I guess I need to save up,definitely do not want buyer's remorse.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks and no thanks for posting that link! Just kidding,but now I really have no idea wich one to get
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want to run a red dot on my ak47,I want to put an Aimpoint Pro on it but the Sparc 2 has caught my attention. Anyone have experience with this brand or model in particular? Durability/reliability,or should I just save up and buy the Aimpoint?
View Quote

I have both.  I have the Aimpoint on my HD rifle, the S2 on one of my other SBR uppers.  

The AP is a fantastic unit.  I love being able to keep it on all the time.  It's sleek and bullet-proof.  Definitely get what you pay for here.

The S2 is nothing to look down at though.  It chews through batteries but if your purpose is for range & fun use, that shouldn't matter.  It has a nice bright dot and it seems solid.  Don't rule out the Trijicon MRO either.  I shot a buddy's rifle that had one and I'm pretty sure that will be my next optic.

It all boils down to purpose.

Home Defense = Aimpoint all day long
Plinking = S2

[edit for clarity]

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have a siderail mount? If you're going to mount it on an ultimak I think a PRO would really make it front heavy. Also will this be a go to gun?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Trijicon MRO,and it is a Cadillac red dot for sure. This will be my go to rifle. Im actually going to run it on the top rail. I have the Texas weapons Dog leg rail. I was doubtful of itbat first but it is a solid system
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top