Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2016 9:45:19 PM EDT
Just got my WASR on loan from my dad to play with. I want to add a authentic optic that won't break the bank and stumbled upon the WPA PO 4x at Atlantic Firearms.

My plan is to take the WASR to a High Power match for giggles.

So do you guys think this optic will be worth the salt? Will the adjustments be precise and return to zero?

WPA 4X Military Classic

Let me know your thoughts!
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had one for years.  They have been coming into the US through other importers long before WPA started offering them.  My thoughts:
- Glass is quite good, but not great.

- Turrets are coarse in adjustment but have a good feel to them.

- RTZ of the mount is good.

- Illumination is nice and sharp.

- Overall quality is good, scope is robust and doesn't feel cheap or fragile in any way.  They are tough scopes.
I very much prefer my PO 2.5x18 (better glass and a bigger FOV) over the PO 4x24, but the 4x24 does offer more magnification obviously.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a great optic and it has a long and successful history, but it could be a little tricky to get used to on a WASR if it is your first go around with Russian optics. This optic sits off to the left of the receiver a bit, is a tad high and the eye relief can be tricky for shooters new to the combination of the shorter WARSAW pact stock and the rear placement of the optic. Having said that it is a fine optic once you get used to it and will last a life time. These are military grade optics produced by NPZ in Russia, they use Zeiss glass and have been building optics since 1904. If you adjust the tension properly on the clamp the optic will return to zero without issue

The WPA PO 4x24 is the modern version of the infamous SVD scope called PSO-1. What WPA is selling is basically the PSO-1 optic but with the Universal AK mount instead of the traditional SVD mount. WPA's version also uses AA batteries, a different bulb for illumination and a slightly different finish but otherwise it's a PSO.

Here is a very similar POSP 4x24 to help give you an idea of what it will look like. POSP's are also basically the same optic but manufactured in Belarus by BelOMO instead of NPZ in Russia. During the cold war both companies produced the PSO for the Soviet military, after the breakup they continued military production but also created civilian versions as well.

The WPA uses the universal mount which is why it will fit your WASR rail. See the concepts page to understand more about how the rails work.
http://russianoptics.net/Concepts.html

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the detailed information!

Am I to assume that the bdc on the WPA is calibrated to 7.62x54r? It doesn't say on the description what the bdc is calibrated to.

It wouldnt matter too much though since I can adjust the turrets for my intended usage.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes it should be for 54R. Very few POSPs or PSOs are x39

Z
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You say they're offset a little to the left, how lefty-friendly would you say they are? I'm intrigued, but don't want to shell out the cash for a scope that requires that I shoot ri righty.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top