Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/19/2015 9:24:10 AM EDT
Hey guys, so I've owned my AK for a few years and loved it. I did some of the "tacticool" things to it like the ATI Strikeforce stock set and a Tech Sight which made it less pleasurable for me to shoot as a matter of fact so I hadn't even taken it out in about a year. So recently I was thinking of selling the rifle and decided to just put it back to stock (stock sight, wood furniture, etc.), the only mods I currently sport are a MOE+ grip and a ground down AK74 style Tapco brake that I filed to fit the barrel snugly.

Bench Resting with iron sights from 50 yards produced a rather nice cluster of hits for me where 4 out of 5 were close enough to almost touch. As with my AR, I got to wondering what I could do with an optic at range. I know the WASR is no nail driver like the AR which so far has bested 1.25MOA with a friend's hand loaded 55gr rounds, but it did do better than I thought at 100 yards, landing 5 shots within 3.5 inches (not the best shooting on my part perhaps because its hard to aim consistently at 100 yards for my eyes)

I ordered a UTG Pro side mount and a Primary Arms 4x scope. However, I am wondering if perhaps I made a mistake and should have gone for the 1-6x for the lower zoom option to shoot with both eyes open, and the longer range as well, but I hear the rangefinder on the 1-6 is not as nice. I've seen the guys from AK Operators Union making decent hits with their WASR out to 300 yards (my range goes 50/100/200). I am just trying to get some feedback on what you guys think of the 4x optic for those distances. I know at 100 it will be fine, at 200 it will be a challenge, but at 50 it may be too much optic for "quick shots".

Anyone have experience with the 4x scope? Feedback would be appreciated.

One other question I had was about my front sight post. I got the shots to go center but I had to adjust the front post (probably about an extra 10-20% to the left from center), does this mean my front sight post is canted slightly?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
should have gone for the 1-6x for the lower zoom option to shoot with both eyes open, and the longer range as well,
View Quote

You can easily shoot a 4x with both eyes open, and with the illumination on it'll work with BAC the same as an ACOG for fast up close shots.
4x is plenty for 200yds. Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive got a PA 4x on my NPAP, its a hell of a combo for hunting or a semi DMR role. Its a heavy ass scope, makes my already brick like NPAP more of a cinder block, but I could seriously beat someone to death with the optic mounted without harm. PA has a good thing going with the 4x for AK's. Don't let the cheap price of admission fool you into thinking its a range toy. I would grab an AK outfitted with one in a SHTF in a heartbeat. I know mine took a few licks during deer season. If they dropped a bit better glass into the same body, I would gladly pay something like $400 for one. IMHO, the glass not being the best and the illumination being a bit too basic are the only issues I have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the lowest way to mount one of these? I saw the pics on pa's website mounted on a rs mount but it still looks like it's combloc optic tall.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the UTG Pro mount, didn't care for it with a compact 1-4 scope, too tall. It did hold zero fine and allowed me to remove the receiver cover, wound up dropping the scope for a quad rail & microdot setup instead.

The Midwest Industries mount looks like it's setting right on top of the receiver cover, if I try to scope again that's what I'll buy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the lowest way to mount one of these? I saw the pics on pa's website mounted on a rs mount but it still looks like it's combloc optic tall.
View Quote
The 7.62x39 version can be configured to sit lower. The optics base has a removable spacer built in. Spacer for AR height, no spacer for AK.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Right, but without the riser it still looks a little tall for a wood stock on the rs mount.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Right, but without the riser it still looks a little tall for a wood stock on the rs mount.

http://cdnll.primaryarms.com/images/l/PAC4XAK300BO_9.jpg
View Quote
Hmm, On my NPAP it sits a fair bit lower.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe the side rail on that particular rifle is higher than usual?
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top