Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/28/2015 4:41:55 PM EDT
I have a Yugo M70 that Im planning to update with some Magpul furniture and a red dot.

I was thinking on the Primary Arms mini or Bushnell mini.

I'm not that up to speed on the AK and I'd like some input.

Options I've looked at are:

Midwest Industries key-mod bottom with mini dot top and mount directly to it.

Ultimate with mini dot mounted in low mount and Magpul Zhukov forend.

Anyone have suggestions? Are my choices compatible? Anyone have either setup that can give suggestions?

Pics welcome.... thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Primary Arms Micr (T-1 clone) on an Ultimak gas tube with rail. Very sturdy mount, excellent return to zero, excellent for fast snap shooting, and PA are great people to do business with. Go to Ultimak.com to see the mount with a similar sight on it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Zhukov handguard, I believe, won't work with the M70 without modification. The heat shield clamps to the barrel and the M70 barrel is generally of a larger diameter than a standard AKM barrel. You might have to open up the interior of the clamps to account for this.

Midwest Industries makes a Yugo-specific handguard so you shouldn't have any problems there. Also, I saw in another subforum here that Krebs has a Yugo-specific keymod handguard that'll be coming out very soon.

Both the PA micro and Bushnell TRS-25 are handy little sights and easy to recommend.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Zhukov handguard, I believe, won't work with the M70 without modification. The heat shield clamps to the barrel and the M70 barrel is generally of a larger diameter than a standard AKM barrel. You might have to open up the interior of the clamps to account for this.

Midwest Industries makes a Yugo-specific handguard so you shouldn't have any problems there. Also, I saw in another subforum here that Krebs has a Yugo-specific keymod handguard that'll be coming out very soon.

Both the PA micro and Bushnell TRS-25 are handy little sights and easy to recommend.
View Quote

Shoot... I was hoping the Magpul hand guard and Ultimak might be compatible since I liked the look of the slightly longer hand guard to get a light farther out on the gun. The MI stuff looks nice and comes highly recommended. I may go this route.

I use a Aimpoint T2 on my work gun and the Aimpoints have always served me well but for a range gun the PA and Bushnell are tough to beat at a 10th the price
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone paired up the Magpul forend with an Ultimak rail..?

How much fitting needs to me done..?

Pics ?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
For a zhukov you'll need to modify the barrel clamps and cut the sling loop and obviously handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need to modify the barrel clamps and cut the sling loop and obviously handguard retainer.
View Quote

Difficult to do or will a Dremel tool and a file suffice..?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Dremels good for the sling loop and retainer. There's a video or probably multiple on YouTube of mounting the Zhukov on an m77 or other yugos.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't hotlink from my iPad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxI0T1m_ms
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys...

Leaning toward the Ultimak and Magpul setup to get the longer forend to push my light further out.

Anyone come along that has done this setup please post some pics
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top