Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2015 6:19:42 PM EDT
I recently ordered a Wasr. I have a Primary Arms Advanced Series Red Dot not being used right now. Would this work on an AK if I got the appropriate side mount rail? I can't find any pictures of this dot on anything other than AR15s, which is what I bought it for but them got a good deal on an Eotech and now it just sits in the box. I really want to use it for something and not have it go to waste. This is what I have : http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-advanced-series-red-dot-with-integrated-ar-height-qd-mount-lifetime-warranty/p/kt-pacrs/
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need a top cover rail mount. even then it might sit a little high for you. but thats easily fixed with a cheek riser.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Without having the gun, I didn't realize how low the stock is from that of an AR15. Like you said I could get a cheek riser.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
a pal of mine just put a PA reddot on his AK using an Ultimak rail. he bought them both as a package
from PA, i think the price was about 160.
hes a lot better rifle shot than i am, but he said he was busting clay pigeons at 100 yds pretty easily.

I have an Ultimak rail on a mini14 and i like it lots.

ETA no cheek riser was necessary. I didnt get to shoot it, but i checked it out, and at cheek weld i was
lookin right thru the reddot. the rail replaced the gas tube and was rock solid.
hope this helps.
scruff
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a pal of mine just put a PA reddot on his AK using an Ultimak rail. he bought them both as a package
hes a lot better rifle shot than i am, but he said he was busting clay pigeons at 100 yds pretty easily.

ETA no cheek riser was necessary. I didnt get to shoot it, but i checked it out, and at cheek weld i was
lookin right thru the reddot. the rail replaced the gas tube and was rock solid.
hope this helps.
scruff
View Quote

The red dot he purchased has a built in riser. The bundle your referring too is a low mount.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

hope this helps.
scruff
View Quote

Ditto this. Ultimak/PA red dot works great, and my return to zero after complete teardown cleaning (once every couple of months or so) is dead on.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll give it a shot and see if it is too high with cheek weld.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
If you just want a cheap side mount to get things going, check out the Midwest Industries clones on eBay - about $30. I think the seller I got mine from was Black Rifle Tactical.

The UTG Pro rail (model MTU016) is also a decent option - made in the US and not a junk product like some of UTGs other mounts.

Both of these side mounts sit pretty low to the dust cover, but the MI  mount is lower than the UTG. Neither will cowitness.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PA Advanced Micro Dot using a low mount on a Ultimak gas tube rail. It sits low enough that you have a lower third co-witness. Works great and looks good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I would just order a low mount from Primary Arms,

Putting an AR height mount on top of any side rail or Ultimak will result in an unnecessary chin weld and there is NO reason to go that route. The PA is designed to use any base/mount that will support a Aimpoint T1.

You basically have four options that should result in lower 1/3 or 1/4 co-witness;

Ultimak, gas tube replacement with the PA low mount base.

Attero Arms Bravo mount rear sight replacement, direct mount.

RS Regulate 301 side rail mount with AKML (mini Red Dot) upper, direct mount.  

Texas Weapons System top cover replacement with the PA low mount base.  

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Did any of you guys actually click the link to know which PA red dot he is referring to?  There will never be a co-witness with that unit and it will likely look awkward no matter where it's mounted on a AK.  It's not the micro red dot..  I would just sell it on the EE if you don't want it for your AR and pick up a more appropriate micro if that's what your after.  Micro dots and a ultimak rail is a great, solid combo.  The Midwest Industry's side mount is great too, a lot of people seem to like RS regulate side mounts too but there pretty spendy and it seems hard to find each rail piece in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]
What ^^^he said. I have that optic and it would be way too tall for any AK mounting platform. Even if you didn't care about the absence of any cowitnessing, the balance of the rifle would be awkward (though the PA is lighter than an Eotech, and lots of folks mount those on AKs).

Sell it and buy a PA micro.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a PA Advanced Micro Dot using a low mount on a Ultimak gas tube rail. It sits low enough that you have a lower third co-witness. Works great and looks good.
View Quote

Same here.  REALLY like that set up on my Saiga .

BIGGER_HAMMER  
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#13]

I would imagine you could find a swap for the low base RDS vs. your AR height on the E.E. pretty easy if you wanted to go that route.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
OP did you sort it out? If not the best way to mount that optic on an AK (IMHO) would be to use a TWS dust cover rail. I don't think there is a lower picatinny rail option out there for the dust cover. It will still sit kinda high, but compared to some Russian optics it would be similar. Dollars are high, but in this business to really be sure it it works for you, you need to buy it, try it and then, keep it, or throw it on the Equipment exchange, and try, try again

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top