Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/21/2015 12:14:09 AM EDT
Okay,

I have been trying to decide on a good flashlight to mount on my DDI AKM.

I have decided to use the RS Products BM-1 to mount a picatinny rail section on the barrel in between the gas block and lower handguard.
This one
http://www.rsregulate.com/accessory.php

On this rail section I plan to mount a Arson Machine flashlight mount..........
This one
https://www.arsonmachine.com/product/picatinny-light-mount/

Now for the flashlight...........I was going to just use a Surefire G2x Tactical light.  However (now for the question) the G2x is a poly light.........how will it fair being set beside the gas block and tube?

Will the heat and gas coming out of the gas block and tube effect or burn the Surefire G2x light body?

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this issue?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Surefire P3X lights on my other long guns - that's what I'm going to be using on my AK when I pick it up this week.  It's a great light with the lumens to really light things up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Surefire P3X lights on my other long guns - that's what I'm going to be using on my AK when I pick it up this week.  It's a great light with the lumens to really light things up.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.  I considered the P3X but had thought it was too many lumens for me.....and wanted to stay with something shorter with no more then two batteries.  But thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  I considered the P3X but had thought it was too many lumens for me.....and wanted to stay with something shorter with no more then two batteries.  But thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing as too many lumens. You can bounce the spill from those 1000 lumen lights off of the ceiling and illuminate the whole damn room. Bouncing it off the floor is also an option.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a WMLx attached to the same mount on my SLR-107F, right next to the over-pressure holes in the gas tube. Leaves nice little 'burn' marks on it, though nothing besides excess carbon that typically wipes off with a finger.

Have put around 300 rounds through the AK with it mounted, 280 of which in one range setting (in less than an hour, probably 30min), didn't affect function of the light at all.

This being said, I'm happy with the WMLx. Even though its original design, the WML had some unhappy customers, whatever they did with the 'x' version seems to do the trick... Now I would only assume this Surefire light will probably work just as good, since it seems like Surefire sets the standard for 'tactical' lights.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No such thing as too many lumens. You can bounce the spill from those 1000 lumen lights off of the ceiling and illuminate the whole damn room. Bouncing it off the floor is also an option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was more concerned with too much light blinding me........after the light is turned off.  But I am learning..
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was more concerned with too much light blinding me........after the light is turned off.  But I am learning..
View Quote

That's actually a pretty valid concern when using a light indoors in the middle of the night, when your pupils are dilated. I haven't found it to be a problem (yet) with a weapon light, but I definitely have had to reorganize my handheld flashlights into upstairs/bedroom flashlights and downstairs/outdoor flashlights.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm personally with the folks that say no such thing as too many lumen, but if that's a concern, there is the P2X which only uses two batteries.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay

I have decided to pick up a Surefire PX3 Defender....and give it a try.
It's got an alum housing and is 320 lumens.....and thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay

View Quote

Sounds good. I've got several 6P that work fine
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I have purchased and received the Surefile 6PX defender.........and I am very pleased.  Now just need to get the Arson Machine mount.  

Thanks for all the input
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Okay

View Quote

Probably the best choice. Bright but not too bright for indoors.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't knock a malkoff drop in head for the g2...more lumens.  I've also got a 6p lens on mine.

But for lightweight,  the wml is my fav

Gas burns are evident, but none issue to me.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top