Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2015 8:46:15 PM EDT
Okay,

I recently decided to upgrade and make one of my AKM's a bit more user friendly.......as opposed to historically correct.  LOL.  I am sure someone can identify with that one.
So, besides the fact that I chose to use a mint Hungarian Kassnar FEG SA85 (low serial number) that has the box and all the accessories..........I am sure someone will rip me for this as well.... what sort of optics do you guys suggest for a close/mid range defensive rifle?  

As you can see from the pictures below.  I have started off by adding the Magpul folding rear stock, pistol grip, and a railed handguard.  

I have decided to go with a Texas Weapon Systems dog leg railed top cover and its on the way to me now.

I plan on getting a Krebs enhanced selector.

I have been researching the various muzzle brakes and flash hiders for one that sort of sits in the middle and does a bit of both.  I think I am going to go with a Manticor Eclipse........but have not fully decided yet.

So, that leaves me with a decision on what sort of optic to use.  I want to stay in the affordable range and not go over board (the way I did with my AR).
I think I have decided on these two choices.  

Either the....... Vortex Strikefire 2 red/green dot on a cantilever mount accompanied by the Vortex VMT x3 magnifier.
Or
the .......Primary Arms 4 x compact prism scope with the ACSS reticle

Unless there is another option out there?  What do you guys suggest?

Open to some ideas on some other additions as well................
Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing wrong with modernizing the AK platform. Here is my Arsenal SLR 107:
" />

I chose to keep the classic AK "lines" but do some things to make it a more effective tactical carbine. I went thru 3 set ups before settling on this one. I highly recommend the RS Regulate side mount over the TWS rail. I had issues with both the TWS and the Parabellum top covers. In my opinion the AK is meant to use the side mount, with the Ultimak being a decent compromise. I am planning on getting the RS mount soon, I had one on my previous AK with an ACOG and it was fantastic.

I would also highly consider the Primary Arms Advanced Micro dot with 50,000 hours battery run time well before the Vortex Strikefire. The red/green version was far too dim for me and if you look around most other users say the same thing. At $170 the PA advanced micro dot is the best "bang for the buck" optic on the market IMHO. The PA micro is very bright and quality is great. Having had a T-1 Aimpoint, I'm not sure I would spend the extra $300-$350 again over the PA.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with modernizing the AK platform. Here is my Arsenal SLR 107:
http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/5B11C617-CC57-44CB-8907-7C3DC6E18ED5.jpg</a>" />

I chose to keep the classic AK "lines" but do some things to make it a more effective tactical carbine. I went thru 3 set ups before settling on this one. I highly recommend the RS Regulate side mount over the TWS rail. I had issues with both the TWS and the Parabellum top covers. In my opinion the AK is meant to use the side mount, with the Ultimak being a decent compromise. I am planning on getting the RS mount soon, I had one on my previous AK with an ACOG and it was fantastic.

I would also highly consider the Primary Arms Advanced Micro dot with 50,000 hours battery run time well before the Vortex Strikefire. The red/green version was far too dim for me and if you look around most other users say the same thing. At $170 the PA advanced micro dot is the best "bang for the buck" optic on the market IMHO. The PA micro is very bright and quality is great. Having had a T-1 Aimpoint, I'm not sure I would spend the extra $300-$350 again over the PA.

View Quote

Thank you very much for your advice and suggestions.  I just did not want to alter this Hungarian from its original configuration.....so far as putting a side rail on it.  But I agree that would prob be the way to go.
So I chose what I thought was the best top rail solution.........TWS.  From watching reviews and such.

Very nice looking AK74 you got there by the way.  I do have a question though.....your light.....do you have any issues with gas from the gas tube vents heating up your light?  Looks like its right in the line of fire.
I have been thinking about how I could mount a weapon light..... and have not decided how or what yet.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thank you very much for your advice and suggestions.  I just did not want to alter this Hungarian from its original configuration.....so far as putting a side rail on it.  But I agree that would prob be the way to go.
So I chose what I thought was the best top rail solution.........TWS.  From watching reviews and such.

Very nice looking AK74 you got there by the way.  I do have a question though.....your light.....do you have any issues with gas from the gas tube vents heating up your light?  Looks like its right in the line of fire.
I have been thinking about how I could mount a weapon light..... and have not decided how or what yet.

Thanks again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/5B11C617-CC57-44CB-8907-7C3DC6E18ED5.jpg</a>" />

Thanks again.

So far I have had no problems with the light. I'm not doing any mag dumps or full auto though so YMMV. I use the Haley Strategic Thorntail mount with Polytac light. Cheap and durable.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top