Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/13/2015 10:34:32 PM EDT
I have a SAR 1 with the built in AK receiver rail.  Looking for the best scope mount for around 100.00 or less. Im going to mount a short 4x scope on it. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Not my favorite mount for a scope (that would be RS or the Arsenal SM-13), but in your stated price range I would look at the MI mount:  http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMIAKSM&name=Midwest+Industries+AK+Side+Mount&groupid=1023&fprdct=1

Just a tad over your mark at $110 shipped.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, the Arsenal sm13 is only about 24 dollars more than the MI. Why do you like it better?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, the Arsenal sm13 is only about 24 dollars more than the MI. Why do you like it better?
View Quote

The SM-13 has a longer section of rail that extends further forward on the rifle, a real benefit for getting the proper eye relief with many scopes.  The fact that is really lightweight is an added bonus.

The MI mount is not a bad piece by any means, but I do feel the SM-13 is easily worth the extra money.

I have owned both, the MI mount is gone and the SM-13 remains.  It and my RS mounts are my favorites by a long shot.

The SM-13 on my .308 Saiga:

The MI mount on my Saiga 12:

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Liquidmetal: Every gun you post is immaculate. You know how to do guns right.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Liquidmetal: Every gun you post is immaculate. You know how to do guns right.
View Quote

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Liqidmetal, Great photos of some nice looking guns. Thank you for your expertise.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not my favorite mount for a scope (that would be RS or the Arsenal SM-13) . . .
View Quote

What are the pros and cons of the RS mount versus the Arsenal SM-13?  

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

HighSpeedSteel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HighSpeedSteel

The RS will run you closer to $180. You pick your base for $120. There are forward bases, rearward bases, or full bases. The one pictured below is a forward base. Then you pick the specific adapter you want for an additional $60. They have single 30mm adapters, ACOG adapters, standard rail adapters, and the one I have pictured below is the Aimpoint Micro adapter. The RS will save weight being that it's only what's needed. There isn't a lot of unused rail as seen with the other mounts.

Since you are wanting to put a scope on it, I'd suggest either the full base and the rail adapter.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

HighSpeedSteel

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

HighSpeedSteel

RS Pros:  

-  Modular design.  You can mix and match RS bases and upper mounts based on the rifle and optic.

-  Adjustable.  Mount is windage adjustable to center the optic over the bore of the rifle.  The upper mount can also be moved front to back on the base as desired.

-  Very lightweight.

-  Nice clamp design.  Hell, the whole mount design (upper and lower) is nice and the overall quality is exceptional.

Cons:

-  None in my opinion.  Some people might say cost because they want the upper and lower combo to sell for $50.  Some people are turned off by the additional hardware/fasteners utilized in the design due to the fact that it is a two piece mount.

SM-13 Pros:

-  Proven clamp design (same clamp design is well vetted on the KV-04 mount).

-  Nice overall design and very good quality.

-  Very lightweight.

-  Long(er) section of rail to accommodate varying degrees of eye relief amongst different scopes.

Cons:

-  Due to it being a one piece (non-adjustable) mount, it may not center over the bore on some rifles.  Variations in optic rail thickness/design means this is going to be an issue with virtually any one piece mount like this.

-  Some people might say cost because they want it to sell for $50.

My 2 cents on the matter.  That's the stuff the comes to mind at the moment anyway.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]
LM made me a believer in the RS Regulate systems.  So far I have them on my VZ2008 and PSL.  If you know anything about ROMAK PSLs you realize you DO need that windage to compensate for the sloppy , out of alignment build.

Plus RS has the cleanest low profile locking lever.  Out of the way and flush.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top