Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2015 9:45:18 PM EDT
I'm needing some advice on flash suppressors for my Saiga AK74.  This rifle will be used for night hunting with a PVS-14 and/or PVS7, so I need a flash suppressor that works well.  I usually night hunt with my AR, and the bird-cage flash hider does ok, but I'm not that educated on flash suppressors for AKs.  

I already did some googling, and found some information on several ones (BE Meyers, Night Shroud, and some others) but I wanted to ask the experts here.  What flash hider(s) are most effective at reducing flash for a 5.45?  

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like you have an unthreaded barrel, so you have the option of getting a 14x1 LH or a 1/2x28 RH thread.

IMHO, it seems that the 3-4 prong open tip type flash hiders are the most effective
Manticore makes the Eclipse, there are of course many others, like Surfire, Vortex, AAC, Krebs, Smith Enterprises.

Here is a comparison of Manticore muzzle devices, 1:20 is the Eclipse, although it is daytime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuzoiLKAFwA

Eclipse in a "darkroom"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rox6Eb3FyQs&index=2&list=PLb711dtKBi0phWJXwLWxbzjVgNCIIm1wp

Manticore Night Shroud at 5:20 followed by the Krebs 4 prong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHUst1Ivzlo

Here is a large test of muzzle devices:

http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/uncategorized/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

Of course, ammunition plays a part as well; are you going to be using Hornaday V-Max 5.45?
I'm not sure if it has flash suppressant in the powder like some military surplus does, and I know the Russian commercial production doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the excellent reply!  I hadn't thought about the ammo, but I will probably be shooting 7n6 most of the time.  But I am interested in trying the vmax however, so I might shoot that in the future.  

Another question:  For the nightshroud it says the threads are standard 24mm, but I'm not seeing 24mm on the CNC Warrior website.  Is that the same as the 14x1 LH or 1/2x28 RH thread you have listed above?  Or is that something completely different?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The Manticore Nightshroud is the answer you seek. I tested a prototype for Sven back before he released them. I have a video on YouTube that I'll link for you tomorrow. I'm on the phone now. Or you can search for it. I shot several different types of ammo first without the brake (bare muzzle) and then with a 4 slot Bulgarian FH, and then with the Nightshroud. It performs as good as or better than the Bulgy FH at half the length.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another question:  For the nightshroud it says the threads are standard 24mm, but I'm not seeing 24mm on the CNC Warrior website.  Is that the same as the 14x1 LH or 1/2x28 RH thread you have listed above?  Or is that something completely different?
View Quote

The 24mm that's being refered to is 24x1 RH threads, it's the default thread pitch for rifles with an AK-74 style muzzle device. Much bigger and way different.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thread your barrel to 1/2x28 (since it's a Saiga without the 24mm threads typically found on an AK-74), and use the plethora of flash hiders available on the AR market, like the Surefire SF3P or the BE Meyers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
So how would I know how far in to cut the barrel shroud?  Just measure the threading portion of the FH and cut approximately that deep?  Or is there a more exact way to do it?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
No, your best bet is to send it out if you don't have the tools or aren't comfortable with pressing the front sight base off to thread it properly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can tolerate the ringing, pronged flash hiders typically outperform other varieties. I'll defer to others regarding threading your barrel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Manson Precision Reamers. They sell a barrel threading and crowning kit that's really easy to use.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top