Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2015 10:00:52 PM EDT
I'm currently running the Condor 'Recon rig' (or whatever), it's okay, nothing special. I've cut the 'pistol mag' pouches off of it to slim it down, seems to suffice for casual use. Doesn't inspire confidence in the robust/durability department though. I really want to upgrade to something built much better, more durable.

I am leaning towards the Attack Rack V2 right now, the one major con that I don't like with it. Are the two pistol mag pouches above everything-else, I don't care for that... But its definitely not a deal-breaker.

The Strike Hard AK Chest Rig is in second place, simply because the US Palm rig has plastic-strips sewn into the mag-pouches to protect from AK rear-tabs (I wish SHG would do this, but its not a 'deal breaker' either).

Keep in mind I don't care about the 'armor insert' for the US Palm, that is a far, far distant concern for me. Since I already have a dedicated plate-carrying-vest, I'm looking for a 'built like a tank' but not 'break the bank' chest-rig.

---------
Now for the 'odd' considerations, for those that have said rigs:

Can you run 'standard' (30 round) AR magazines in your pouches?

Even more odd: can you run M1A magazines in them (or comparable .308 mags)?

I occasionally use my current Condor rig with my AK, AR, and even M1A. Yes, I can fit all of these mags into this vest.
My preference leans towards the AK, hence I want a 'primary' AK rig... But would like the added benefit of being able to run other things with the same rig, especially the M1A (I use CMI 25 rounders FYI).
Come to think of it, running AR mags probably won't be an issue. I have yet to see/read about anyone using the Attack Rack with their .308 mag-fed rifle though...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Haley d3cr.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
30rnd AR mags fit in my Strike Hard rig, but they are shorter so you'll have to adjust the retention bungee.

Of course then they will be too tight for AK mags.

I run a dedicated AR and AK rig.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haley d3cr.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks good for a 'micro rig'. But I'm more in the market for a 'full size' type of chest rig, the kind that 'just starts' to kind of go under the arm-pits when standing like normal (but not quite).

So if I held a Strike-Hard AK rig next to this one you suggest, I would probably go with the SHG vest because the extra added-room to add things like a med-pouch and additional mag pouch (while keeping 'low profile' when laying in prone)... I don't want to have a [micro] chest rig that makes me feel like I'm pregnant in the prone Because all the added stuff I will need/put on the vest such as noted above ^ (med pouch, extra-mag pouch).

I'm kind of looking for something that can hold 8-10 magazines, a med-pouch, yet let me go prone and be low to the dirt.

Hence I'm kind of digging the US Palm vest, with the extra 3-slots behind the 4 main out front. Does anyone run this rig with 'all 7' mag pouches filled like this? Curious to see how 'low profile' it still is like that. All I really 'want' is to be able to have 3-4 'quick grab' magazines out front, having 3 more 'reserve' in the back seems like a good concept...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks good for a 'micro rig'. But I'm more in the market for a 'full size' type of chest rig, the kind that 'just starts' to kind of go under the arm-pits when standing like normal (but not quite).

So if I held a Strike-Hard AK rig next to this one you suggest, I would probably go with the SHG vest because the extra added-room to add things like a med-pouch and additional mag pouch (while keeping 'low profile' when laying in prone)... I don't want to have a [micro] chest rig that makes me feel like I'm pregnant in the prone Because all the added stuff I will need/put on the vest such as noted above ^ (med pouch, extra-mag pouch).

I'm kind of looking for something that can hold 8-10 magazines, a med-pouch, yet let me go prone and be low to the dirt.

Hence I'm kind of digging the US Palm vest, with the extra 3-slots behind the 4 main out front. Does anyone run this rig with 'all 7' mag pouches filled like this? Curious to see how 'low profile' it still is like that. All I really 'want' is to be able to have 3-4 'quick grab' magazines out front, having 3 more 'reserve' in the back seems like a good concept...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haley d3cr.

I run my Strike Hard AK chest rig with 8 mags, works wonderfully; I don't load it up to 12 though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haley d3cr.

8-10 mags is a lot. If you're hiking or using it in a class, it's a lot to carry at one time up high on the chest. The times you'd actually, legitimately need 8-10 mags (in a firefight) is pretty low.

I like the D3CR because I can interface it with my Mayflower APC, but standalone I think it's the perfect chest rig. You can get extra mag pockets if you need 2 more mags, for a total of 6. You can fit a med pouch into the stuffit GP pouch. Other small pockets for miscellaneous items.

If you wear a war belt, that's another few mags that can be moved onto the belt rather than up high.

I went the large chest rig route once. I owned most of the models produced by SPLAV and SPOSN for a long time, that carried up to 8 mags each, and in the end it was just really overkill. Sold them off and downsized to a few modular options. D3CR is probably one of the best ones for running different magazines.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
^Thanks for the advice, I do have an understanding of carrying weight. Being in the Army National Guard have done a few rucks with full battle-rattle, and even before I used to back-pack/hike on very steep/hilly/mountain type terrain.

So I understand the weight criteria. I just sort of 'want' the ability to carry 8-10 magazines if I so choose. I may just end up having a few empty mag-pouches

Which is why I'm still eying the US Palm Attack Rack v2. It looks pretty slim, am curious if it would still be 'just as slim' with 3 AK magazines in the rear-pouch holders as well? Also, still want to know if .308/M1A magazines would fit in it?

Anyway, I'll sleep on the ideas for a few days... Maybe I'll even go with the Haley Strategic vest
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think .308 mags will fit in the attack rack.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]
^I can get my 25-rounder M1A mags to fit in my cheapo Condor Recon-rig, really tight squeeze. But it does hold them

I'm just curious, its sort of a 'second kind of cool' thing that I want the ability to run my M1A with this vest, not really a main-determining factor...

If anyone can post some pics of them wearing the vest with 3 mags in the 'reserve' and 4 up front, that would be helpful. I want to see how 'logical' it would be to actually run the vest 'fully loaded' like that...
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top