Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2015 1:30:30 AM EDT
So what's the story here? BDC reticle? BDC turret? Or both? The descriptions on Kalinka's product descriptions confuse me.

Tell me if what I am postulating here is correct:

1) 
The Simonov (7.62x39) and ZRAK ONM76B (8mm) Reticles have BDC chevrons. ZERO at 100m wi elevation turret set to 1 and then the lower chevrons correspond to 200, 300, respectively for BDC - Right? OR twist the elevation turret to 2 (for 200m) or 3 (for 300m) and continue to use upper chevron for point of aim. Yes? No? Clarify?

2)
Dragunov 1000m (7.62x54r) reticle. Kalinka says the lower chevrons are for 1100, 1200 , 1300m . At those ranges i would think the chevrons for 54r would be MUCH lower down. Soooooo. If I zero it at 100m how do I hold/target intermediate ranges i.e. 200, 400, etc? Twist the elevation turret to the numbers that correspond to those next further ranges and use the top chevron? What happens when I get to 10? Is THAT when the lower chevrons further represent those additional distances?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The Simonov reticle utilizes the chevrons only, independant of the elevation turret.  Zero the first chevron at 100 meters, the next 2 are on at 200 and 300 meters respectively (if you have the 3 chevron version).  Ignore the elevation turret.
The Dragunov reticle is used in coordination with the calibrated elevation turret.  The first chevron is used with the elevation turret out to 1000 meters.  After all of the elevation is used up in the turret, the next 3 chevrons are used at 1100, 1200, and 1300 meters respectively.  You have to have the elevation maxed out (at 10) on the turret to use the subsequent chevrons as intended.  The elevation turret needs to be calibrated for the x54r cartridge for this to work obviously.
You can play by your own rules with the Simonov and Dragunov reticles, but the above is how they were designed to be used.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
So I was mostly correct.   Why can't they just describe it as thus.

This is what I'm thinking about for my PSL.    http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/po-4x32-l-pilade-w-9-setting-illuminated-1000m-dragunov-rangefinding-reticle-weapon-rifle-scope.html

Lightweight, sleek, and (now that i know) BDC turret for 54r.  Perfect!  Should do just fine for the 300yd range. If the rifle proves to be worthy and i start shooting at a longer range I can think about something up from here I don't here much about "sniper" level performance from these.

I wish they made a 4x Simonov (x39) reticle like this for my SKS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess. They do not have a BDC turret.

" The scope has a fixed click scale-up ratio, 4 (+/- 0.2), and has angle of sight and side angle adjustment knobs ". . . . . . ."Since the range calibrations for the Dragunov reticule are measured in equal amounts of MOA, it can be used effectively with any caliber of weapon"

And this is the description I find on all their 400/1000m reticles.

"Since the range calibrations for both the AK and SVD versions on both the 1000 meter Dragunov and 400 meter Simonov models are measured in equal amounts of MOA, all versions of the POSP can be used effectively with any caliber of weapon. They are particularly effective for .308 caliber weapons which require longer range reticles to make full use of their capabilities."

Which begs the question ;  how do you get to the 11, 12 and 1300 meter chevrons on the Dragunov version?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a good ballistics calculator, internet sourced and/or phone app.  I use Shooter (tablet and phone), Strelok Pro (phone), and Vortex LRBC (computer).  I like Shooter ($10 app) the best and use it as my primary.
Enter your rifle, load, and atmospheric data.  Accuracy of data really matters here, put garbage in and you'll get garbage out.
The ballistic calculator can spit out your drops (in MOA, Mils, inches, clicks, or whatever you select) over specific distances and you can use that to dial in your drops at those specific distances.  You can tweak the data in the ballistic calculator based on what you are actually seeing at the range (for bullet drops) to fine tune the data the calculator is giving you.  You can fine tune your input data to the point that the ballistic calculator will be giving you quite accurate data.
Used correctly and intelligently, ballistic calculators are a God send.  I am constantly tweaking my data in my Shooter and Strelok apps based on the real world feedback I get from the range.  I actually find it kinda fun and very educational.
Also, make sure the scope you get has enough internal elevation adjustment to get you out to the distances you plan to shoot.  The internal adjustment given in the scope's specs is the total amount of adjustment (up and down from the center of the adjustment range), so figure you have half of the advertised elevation spec for adjusting up.  Once you run out of elevation in a scope, you will be holding over whether you want to or not.

I use the data provided by my ballistic calculator to make a drop table that I attach to my scope or rifle.  See my 6.5 Grendel (Mil/Mil scope) below as an example.  There is a wealth of data on that little card and it is right where I am looking when behind the rifle.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I've been thinking of "growing up" and going this route.  Maybe learn the mil-dot routine.  Thank you for providing this info.

I like getting zero'd in on a BDC reticle (or turret) and casually plink toggling between 100, 300, 200, etc at various sized things; clays, plates and rubber cubes. My own personal shooting gallery.  I only go on paper to get zero'd as best I can. I'm not trying to shrink 3" groups to 1.5" groups wi different ammo, or hand loads, etc.  Just piles of various milsurp I bought cheap before the many price increasing incidents that have plagued us over the years.

Maybe in time I'll go to the next step but for now I'm a shooting gallery plinker.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top