Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/2/2014 10:09:41 PM EDT
Does anyone have any of these mounts, Im between the Midwest AKSM and the Arsenal sm-13? Pros and cons to each?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The SM-13 has more rail-estate, and I prefer the traditional retention lever over the MI offering.

Which optic are you looking to mount? Depending on the optic, I would recommend the RS Regulate AK-300 mounts.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SM-13 has more rail-estate, and I prefer the traditional retention lever over the MI offering.

Which optic are you looking to mount? Depending on the optic, I would recommend the RS Regulate AK-300 mounts.
View Quote

Cheap micro style red dots on some O paps, and a bulgy parts kit build.

I have an RS on my Kv-13 with T1 micro and love it but want to keep budget in mind with these rifles.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both the AKSM and SM-13, and would choose the SM-13 over the AKSM, no contest.
The SM-13 is lighter, at least as good quality if not better, and just flat out works better for me.  I much prefer the overall design and longer rail of the SM-13.
Easy decision for me between the two.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Will either of those work on an OPAP without modification?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Good question. Will they?....anybody?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I own both the AKSM and SM-13, and would choose the SM-13 over the AKSM, no contest.

The SM-13 is lighter, at least as good quality if not better, and just flat out works better for me.  I much prefer the overall design and longer rail of the SM-13.

Easy decision for me between the two.  
View Quote

I see the wight difference as a positive for the SM-13 for sure, what about the mounting systems, any thoughts?

I see a couple midwest rails on ebay that say they are modified to work for yugo's, I suppose some modification is needed then for these rifles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The mounting systems are a draw IMO, both systems work well and I've never had an issue with either on the AKSM or SM-13.  Both stay put and return to zero.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The mounting systems are a draw IMO, both systems work well and I've never had an issue with either on the AKSM or SM-13.  Both stay put and return to zero.
View Quote

So essentially the sm-13 wins because its light and has more rail. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
In true arfcom fashion ended picking up one of each. I will be using the SM-13 on a bulgy parts kit build, and the AKSM on the PAP as it says its been milled to work for yugos. We shall see!
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot us an update as to whether the MI will mount on your OPAP without modding it. It's been my understanding that the MI/MI-clones need a little dremel-therapy to fit properly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shoot us an update as to whether the MI will mount on your OPAP without modding it. It's been my understanding that the MI/MI-clones need a little dremel-therapy to fit properly.
View Quote

The one I ordered said it had been modded specifically to work with yugos. $100 even free shipping I figured fuck it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Liquidmetal,  you and I shared a thread about a year ago regarding these mounts going on a PSL.  And there was also a third option as I recall that was two-piece and would allow for centering the optic over the bore left to right .  Over several days you even posted pics of the different mounts on your rifles.

I don't know if its because I let my subscription here lapse or I don't understand operation of this forum but I lose access to my old subscriptions and I can never see very far back in time.  Maybe it's archived and I can't get to it.  Anyway. Was all valuable info and pics and am getting ready to pick up the PSL project again.  Anyway you could link me (and other viewers) back to that  thread?

muchos grassy
Kmad
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Liquidmetal,  you and I shared a thread about a year ago regarding these mounts going on a PSL.  And there was also a third option as I recall that was two-piece and would allow for centering the optic over the bore left to right .  Over several days you even posted pics of the different mounts on your rifles.

I don't know if its because I let my subscription here lapse or I don't understand operation of this forum but I lose access to my old subscriptions and I can never see very far back in time.  Maybe it's archived and I can't get to it.  Anyway. Was all valuable info and pics and am getting ready to pick up the PSL project again.  Anyway you could link me (and other viewers) back to that  thread?

muchos grassy

Kmad
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

muchos grassy

Kmad

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_79/154518_PSL___Advice_For_Low_Centered_Mount___Scope.html

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you thank you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two of the MI industries mounts.

I'm thinking I'll switch to the SM13, it looks like a good mount, haven't got to handle one, but longer/farther ahead rail is a plus, I always have to use extension rings on my MI mounts.

I should just get a RS-regulate mount since I like the AKM's I have from him, but I also like eliminating one more adjustment area.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top