Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 3:10:44 AM EDT
Kinda late now since I've ordered one from AIM already, but I've seen a few of them around here in the pic threads. Mostly with micro dots installed.

When these first came out it seems like there were mixed reviews of them in regards to holding zero, especially with heavier optics. However, I can't seem to find any recent threads on them around late 2013 to present. All of the threads I've read are from around late 2011 - mid 2012. The rail mount still seems to be popular enough to continue sales and development.

This mount will be going on an Arsenal 104FR (5.45 rifle) and will either have a Vortex SPARC, TA45-4 or I might buy a TA33 in the future. I'm hoping I can at least go out to 450-500 yards with this thing on a decent day. What are some more present day 2014 opinions from actual experience with this mount?

ETA: I thought I might add this in since someone will probably ask: I chose this mount over the TWS mount mostly on looks and how it retains the original position of the rear iron sight. I wanted to mount an optic without messing up the looks of the AK. I could've gone with a side mount, yes; but, I wouldn't be able to use the side folding stock with a mount on it. If I'm going to pay $1000+ for an AK with a nice left-side folding stock, I at least expect to be able to use it without taking optics on and off before and after use.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I just installed one on my Hungarian and am going to order another for my Vepr.
Quality construction and it holds zero with the Eotech I have on it.

These were developed for SOCOM personnel who wanted to use AK's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait...what...huh? No.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm, well...

I got it in today and installed it before work.

Every time I close the cover it seems like the dustcover is putting too much tension against the mount around where the rear sight is. Looks like it's causing the mount to bend a little.

There is some evidence of peening on the finish right where the 'bend' is happening. I might have to make some grooves or something to relieve most of it.

Maybe the rear sight leaf is putting too much tension in it?

Or perhaps maybe I should just send it back to AIM and tell them it doesn't fit my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy seems to be having the same problem as I am:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370364
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Frustrating. Send it back.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Frustrating. Send it back.
View Quote

Eh, It was only a little bit of flex, so I took a dremel and ground down the little tab on the provided dustcover so the cover will sit lower.

Seems like there's only about .005-.010" of flex in it now. I'll test it out before I decide to give up on it. If it doesn't work out I guess I'll try it on my other AKM I've been meaning to 'modernize' and see how it works on it. Then, I'll order a the TWS cover that has the built in rear sight leaf. I didn't even know TWS made one with a built in rear sight leaf, or I probably would've just bought that one instead.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
You're a braver man than I...at least when it comes to grinding.

The TWS rail is quality through and through. Though I don't run one myself, I have to give the company high marks for taking the time to answer all of my questions and for its offer of a MIL/LEO discount on their products.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The TWS rail is quality through and through. Though I don't run one myself, I have to give the company high marks for taking the time to answer all of my questions and for its offer of a MIL/LEO discount on their products.
View Quote

TWS dogleg rail is good stuff. Thing mounts up rock solid on my M92 and returns to zero after opening and closing. I haven't drop - tested it, I'll let the natural course of events do that. But I have no doubt it would be fine if dropped the closed position. Plus it looks great..
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

TWS dogleg rail is good stuff. Thing mounts up rock solid on my M92 and returns to zero after opening and closing. I haven't drop - tested it, I'll let the natural course of events do that. But I have no doubt it would be fine if dropped the closed position. Plus it looks great..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I am very happy with my TWS. It's mounted on a Saiga 308, hefty recoil, and it still holds zero.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The AKARS is junk.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The AKARS is junk.
View Quote

I had one for a little bit, it mounted my TA-33 higher than I wanted and had a lot of play in it. I only shot it at 25 yards so I can't say if it held zero but I soldnit and bought an RS sidemount and never looked back. The RS products are the best AK optic mounting options on the market right now, IF your rifle has a side rail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wait...what...huh? No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...what...huh? No.

Wait...what...huh? YES
If you would like to actually research this instead of being a keyboard know it all
I can supply you with the company owners name and number so you can educate yourself.

To the OP: If you are still having trouble call Mark at 844-927-4327 (press 2).

These are AK's not AR's so minor fitting is not uncommon due to the rifles varying tolerances.
It did fit with no mods on my SA85M.

And no I am not associated with PA in any way, just a satisfied customer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wait...what...huh? YES
If you would like to actually research this instead of being a keyboard know it all
I can supply you with the company owners name and number so you can educate yourself.

These are AK's not AR's so minor fitting is not uncommon due to the rifles varying tolerances.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...what...huh? No.

Wait...what...huh? YES

Didn't Vulcan Armament and Counter Sniper Optics also make similar claims to a SOCOM connection? If you have anything independent of manufacture hyperbole, please post same. Thank you.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top