Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 6:46:57 PM EDT
Hello all . I am new to ar15 forum and this is my first post. I am debating which optic to go with for my Arsenal SAM7SF. Reddot/holographic OR Hi-Lux 1-4x. I am leaning towards the scope. hi-lux cmr 762.

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflescopes/tactical-scopes/cmr-series/cmr-ak762-tactical-scope/

the hi lux allows the user to switch quickly from 1x to 4x. But my question is, do you think it will pair up well with the SAM7SF, considering its slim/skeleton like stock? and will it be just as good in CQB situations as a red dot, in the 1x setting?

Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

will it be just as good in CQB situations as a red dot, in the 1x setting?

View Quote

Scopes have to contend with one thing a red dot does not: eye relief.  Just something to consider.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotcha, that's a very informative article. With the SAM7 im wanting to do hog hunting and be able to hit hogs with in a 150 meter distance. and also be able to engage body size targets at 300 meters. which optic would yall recomend?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotcha, that's a very informative article. With the SAM7 im wanting to do hog hunting and be able to hit hogs with in a 150 meter distance. and also be able to engage body size targets at 300 meters. which optic would yall recomend?
View Quote

Wish I had a good answer for you. I've got a SAM7SF enroute. I'm asking the same questions.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw some paracord over some foam insulation onto that stock and you can have all the cheekrest you need for whatever scope you want.

Another thing you have to consider is how adding that scope & optic mount is going to change how your rifle handles.

I kinda thought I wanted a POSP for my AKM, until I handled one with it on there, and decided it was too huge & heavy for what I use my rifle for.

So now I'm after a MRD instead.

Anyway, I do think 4x is a pretty good magnification for the x39 cartridge, so you're definitely on the right track there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good red dot will be useful for a 7.62 rifle. Something like the PA microdot is very light and has a great rep. Add in a decent side mount or an Ultimak and you'll have an excellent combo. You could also do a 4x POSP with an AK mount. They can be had for a couple hundred bucks if you shop around. The Romanian LPS/TIP2 is just as good or better than a POSP and are much cheaper but they come with an SVD mount. You'd need to swap it with the AK base which can be harder to find these days.

LPS with AK mount

Here's an example of PSO's with MTK83 mount (top) and SVD mount (bottom)

http://russianoptics.net/Concepts.html

Z

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If you do it right, you can scope a rifle and not add a lot of weight.

On my .308 Saiga where I was counting every ounce, I use a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x20 (9.6 ounces) on a K-Var SM-13 mount (5.76 ounces).

Great glass, illuminated, matching turrets and reticle (Mil/Mil), lightweight.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hello all . I am new to ar15 forum and this is my first post. I am debating which optic to go with for my Arsenal SAM7SF. Reddot/holographic OR Hi-Lux 1-4x. I am leaning towards the scope. hi-lux cmr 762.

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflescopes/tactical-scopes/cmr-series/cmr-ak762-tactical-scope/

the hi lux allows the user to switch quickly from 1x to 4x. But my question is, do you think it will pair up well with the SAM7SF, considering its slim/skeleton like stock? and will it be just as good in CQB situations as a red dot, in the 1x setting?
http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/images/D/SAM7SF-rt_ai.jpg

Thank you for your input.
View Quote

Primary Arms just came out with a 1-6x with 7.62x39/300BLK BDC reticle

Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS 7.62x39
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Could you provide some pictures/how to video for the paracord/foam insulation for the stock? And I am considering a setup similar to this.

you think that setup would make the milled sam7sf a bit too heavy? and is it best to put the secondary optic on the front scope ring of the back? which small red dot would you recommend as a back up sight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Vortex Sparc on a RS 300 mount on my SA M7 SF right now I plan on using for hogs, it's great for moving targets, but I know if I actually put a scope on this thing I could get stupid good accuracy for a 7.62x39mm AK using Hornady, But for Hogs, because I'm expecting them to run quite a bit I want a red dot

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Essentially, I used the wrapping instructions from this thread- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/120934_.html.

Prior to wrapping the stock with paracord, I just took some foam pipe insulation, laid it over the stock arm, and then wrapped the whole thing with cord as tight as I could.

Makes things nice and cushy. The insulation I used is a little too thick to keep the rear sight on the 100m setting, but is just right for the 300m battle sight setting.

Eventually (read as: during the black friday sales) I'm going to replace my upper handguard with an Ultimak & PA microdot combo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Since I'm in the same boat, thoughts on holographic sight + magnifier VS 1-4 scope.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Since I'm in the same boat, thoughts on holographic sight + magnifier VS 1-4 scope.
View Quote

I used to run an Eotech EXPS2 and G23 magnifier combo on an AR.

I found the weight and bulk of the combo to be a real turn-off.  I ended up selling the G23.

I bought the G23 thinking it would be a very flexible system, but the cons outweighed the pros for me.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Vortex Sparc on a RS 300 mount on my SA M7 SF right now I plan on using for hogs, it's great for moving targets, but I know if I actually put a scope on this thing I could get stupid good accuracy for a 7.62x39mm AK using Hornady, But for Hogs, because I'm expecting them to run quite a bit I want a red dot

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/MAKAK47/IMG_1044_zps2766c51c.jpg
View Quote

Details on your cheek rest please.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got it a while ago for my PSL, I'm trying to find the company online that made the rest, I also have one of these on my SPAS-12
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got it a while ago for my PSL, I'm trying to find the company online that made the rest, I also have one of these on my SPAS-12
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found it!

ITC Marksman.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]
yep that's it!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Also considering an optic like this for the SAM7SF

http://www.sc2a.org/products/sightmark-combo-reflex-qd-digital-switch-3x-slide-to-side-magnifier

SightMark ultra shot, with a 3x side magnifier which I could flip back and forth . What do yall think?

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SightMark
View Quote

Garbage
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Garbage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SightMark

Garbage

Based on my experience with them, I would agree.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Also considering an optic like this for the SAM7SF

http://www.sc2a.org/products/sightmark-combo-reflex-qd-digital-switch-3x-slide-to-side-magnifier

SightMark ultra shot, with a 3x side magnifier which I could flip back and forth . What do yall think?

View Quote

If you want to do a red dot + magnifier and don't want to spend $1000, go with Primary Arms. Otherwise, pony up the dough for an EOtech or Aimpoint combo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Primary Arms red dots or Vortex SPARC would be my vote, Vortex has an unlimited lifetime warranty, and great customer service
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#23]
When comparing an ak with a folding stock vs a regular stock , you can see that the width at the butt of the stock is slimmer on the SAM7SF when compared to regular stocks. How does this affect recoil control and accuracy. And would you take this into account when deciding between and Scope VS Red dot for the AK?

http://www.rrcfirearms.com/ihs_images/SAM7FS-4_270x350.jpg
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When comparing an ak with a folding stock vs a regular stock , you can see that the width at the butt of the stock is slimmer on the SAM7SF when compared to regular stocks. How does this affect recoil control and accuracy. And would you take this into account when deciding between and Scope VS Red dot for the AK?

http://www.rrcfirearms.com/ihs_images/SAM7FS-4_270x350.jpg
View Quote

I found the slim butt just fine. I didn't notice any recoil. Right now I have a RS regulate micro setup. Cowitness is good. Cheek weld is comfy. Need to get to range.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top