Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
Hello, all.  I'm looking for any experience/opinions on the Leupold Deltapoint being used on an AK platform.  I'm leaning toward getting the improved version 2 of this (in 3 MOA) for my co-witnessed AK. I have Aimpoint H1s, but am attracted to the features of the new model Leupold.   Is it rugged enough for the AK recoil?  Is it reliable? etc.
Will appreciate any constructive observations.  Many thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one myself, but a buddy of mine on another site provided this insight about the Deltapoint he had in an Attero Arms rear sight mount on a milled Bulgarian. IIRC his rifle was in 7.62x39mm

I don't have an account, but I'll give a few details. Note that these are specific to mounting on an AK using an Attero Arms mount. General comments about the Deltapoint itself can be found elsewhere.
- The Attero Arms mount had nice built in backup sights that gave an approximately lower 1/3rd cowitness with the factory front sight. It was solid and well made.
- The Deltapoint was pretty tough in my experience. I didn't hump it through the woods or run it in a carbine course, but I did drop the damn thing a few times straight on the optic, including onto hard surfaces. The optic didn't collect so much as a scratch, though it moved once on the mount (which could have used longer screws - the provided ones only had 2 or 3 threads of engagement, but enough tap depth for more - so I couldn't lock it down as tightly as I wanted to without resorting to locktite).
- The large, open field of view with the Deltapoint was really nice compared to Aimpoint Micro [knockoffs] that I've used. Mine had a 3 MOA dot, which was a good middle ground between precision and quick acquisition.
- My biggest complaint was the adjustment of the dot on the Deltapoint. The adjustments do not have defined clicks like an Aimpoint Micro or Trijicon RMR have. This makes perfect sense on a pistol, where ballistics may not match up to pre-defined clicks, but on a rifle they are preferable. Because there are no clicks, there are locking set screws for windage and elevation. Elevation is on the rear of the optic, and must be adjusted with a tiny allen key. The set screw and adjustment both angle upward, which was a challenge to do without a very short allen key or the dust cover off/bolt removed when installed on the Attero mount. Dialing in the zero quickly got old. The Deltapoint also required removal to swap batteries, so adjustment could come often if you use the rifle constantly.

IIRC, the newer version of the Deltapoint allows installation of the battery through the top of the optic, so rezeroing doesn't happen nearly as much. I'm not sure, however, if the adjustments of the dot have changed to pre-defined clicks. I've sold the rifle and the optic, but I would like to try a newer one on something like a lightweight AR build one day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Helpful.  Thanks much.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top