Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2014 3:17:54 PM EDT
I have a Leupold M8 2.5X28mm lying around that I'm thinking about mounting on a 5.45 AK.

With around 9 inches of eye relief what mount would you suggest?  I'm guessing with that amount of eye relief an ultimak or a Midwest industries style rail will be required but am open to other suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw this posted on another forum.  Actually looks like a decent set-up.  Not my pic or rifle:

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
LiquidMetal--thanks

Any idea on what ring height that setup is using?

If you scroll down in this thread this guy was using low rings with his Leupold scout but I'm not so sure they would work on an ultimak.
user ZombieGunner setup
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any idea on what ring height that setup is using?

View Quote

In the thread I took that pic from, the guy said he was using Leupold rings.  Probably these:  http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/rifleman-mounting-systems/rifleman-detachable-see-thru-high-rings/

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Ordered an ultimak and shim kit; should arrive later this week.

I'm still not sure what ring height to order.  In the dedicated 5.45 thread that user had leupold QRW low over the Midwest industries rail.  I'm leaning toward the medium height QRW to play it safe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm still not sure what ring height to order.
View Quote

Once you have the Ultimak on the rifle and the scope you intend to mount, you can mock it up on the rifle and measure for the exact ring height you need.  No guessing required.
My favorite tactic is to stack quarters on the mount (2 piles, one where each ring would be) until the stack of quarters properly positions the scope on the rifle (everything clears just right).  I then measure the height of the stack of quarters and order rings accordingly.  You can use dimes to really fine tune your stack height since they are thinner than quarters.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot about that trick!

To get proper eye relief the bell has to clear rear sight.  Scope height to clear sight measured 11 quarters or 14 dimes. (.72 to .735" as measured with crappy caliper)

My plan was to use leupold qrw rings but I cannot find how leupold measures their height.  

On midways website the rifleman see through sites used in the pic you posted measure .94 from base of ring to bottom of scope tube but I'm not certain if leupold uses same method for the qrw.  Per leupold website the qrw measure .75-.88-1.00 from low-med-high.

Will call leupold tomorrow to get advice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Leupold measures to the centerline of the scope tube.

I have both QRW & PRW rings and that is the case with both.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, then quick detach may not be possible...at least with the leupold QRW.

After looking around a little bit more it looks like there are at least 3 easy options: (I didn't look into Burris rings too much)
-leupold see through (a bit too high)
-warne 204L ultra high (again a bit too high)
-vortex hunter rings (bell should barely clear rear sight)

I think I'll order the vortex rings up via Amazon Prime and post pics early next week.  They are a cheap option and if I don't end up liking them will throw a spare TRS-25 on the ultimak and put the leupold IER away.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Of those three you listed, I would choose the Vortex rings as well.

I am a fan of Warne rings (own several sets of them), but the steel versions can get heavy, especially with the ultra high models because of the amount of steel in them.  Not ideal for an Ultimak and weight balance on the rifle.

Do post pics when you get it all together.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Liquidmetal--thanks again for all the helpful advice.  You are a great asset to the AK forums here!!

The vortex rings allowed the scope to barely clear the rear sight.  A .015" (.381mm) shim will fit underneath, the same shim stacked with a .010" (.254mm) shim will not. (well, I could have forced it)

To get the best view through the scope I have to go for a cheekweld on the dustcover & stock vs just the stock. Will defintely be keeping the warsaw length stock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the concept.  

I know it's kinda after the fact since you already purchased rings, but maybe consider some offset rings to bring the scope a little further back and better your eye relief if you feel the need.  Like these YHM offset rings as an example:

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Past weekend had an opportunity to try and sight in the Leupold.  Made 2 shots and went to adjust only to realize I had mounted it incorrectly and had the turrets 45' off!!

I'm assuming you were too gracious to point that out on the forum!

Anyways, went to adjust the scope and while re-tightening the rings one broke.  I shot the balance of magazine anyway and didn't find the stock/dustcover cheekweld to be that bad.  Like you, my brother suggested a cantilever style ring and wondered how bad it would be to just have both rings in front of the turrets.

Oh well, mailed off to Vortex today.  Their warranty service has a good rep so hopefully will get replacements soon.  I will likely put a TRS25 on this weekend and see which I prefer.

" />
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top