Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/22/2014 8:39:59 AM EDT
I posted in the Yugo section about the rails being used on the PAP series that are available currently, and I think they are the SVD type, which I didnt realize until I held one my friend just bought.
Didnt realize it at the time, but I was somewhat aware of " minor differences " between rails from different countries etc.  However, I had completely forgotten about the SVD vs AK rail differences.

Question:
If an AK mount/optic (such as the Midwest Industries mount ) is used on an SVD rail, will it eventually come loose?
What about zero retention?

Here is a review of the Midwest Industries mount.  
Just not sure how well its going to work with an SVD type mount - I got it to work on the Yugo (which seems to have the SVD rail), but Im not sure it will stay put.

[update]
I think I found my answer here on russianoptics.net
TXzen, is that your website?

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes indeed that is my website

I think the MI should work fine on an SVD type rail as long as the locking clamp mechanism can seat in the center cutout. I have not tested the Yugo rails but if you post a picture I'm reasonably sure I can figure it out.

Z
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It belongs to someone else, so I dont have it with me.  The mount worked its way loose.  I had that sucker snugged down tight.  However, I dont think it went on far enough to engage the center notch, but will have to get it in my hands again to check.  Im probably going to end up getting a psop optic that has the SVD mount type.

Actually, the BP-02 with the SVD type mount would probably work as well.
link

Or do the mod that was discussed in this thread

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
PP02 with the SVD type mount is too low to clear the dust cover.

Only potential problem with the MI mount mod is if the front upper mount pad grabs enough of the rail to hold it securely. I hope to use a primary arms 1-6 on my m77 and an optisan 1-6 on my OPAP with the MI 30mm mounts, so I hope so.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
So the BP-02 mount simply will not work on a Yugo PAP rifle that has the SVD rail?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the BP-02 mount simply will not work on a Yugo PAP rifle that has the SVD rail?
View Quote

I tried it on an OPAP and an M77. With a Dragunov style clamp it's too low to clear the dustcover. If you have a Saiga style clamp (basically a Dragunov with ~1/4" higher mounting pads), dremel off the rear stop and put in a new stop pin pretty much where the bolts hold the mount together up front it will work. This is about as far fwd on the rail you can get the hybrid to go. Still a work in progress and I'm still liking the MI 30mm scope mount as best option for these funky railed Yugos.

" />
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Isnt that the BP-02 sitting on a Yugo pictured?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a BP02 with the oe clamp removed and swapped with a "Saiga Style" clamp. You can see the missing bolts that i haven't put back in yet. You might be able to mill some metal off the bottom of the mount where it hits the top cover on the Drag BP02 but I wouldn't recommend it. Not much there to start with. BP02 are on the cheesy side -- not really the best mount quality wise.

Also beware the older BPs have more of a weaver rail than picatinny. Don't know about the new ones.

Here is a thread on  some scope examples and decent info on PAP optics. I won't hot link it. You'll need to cut n paste:   http://www.akfiles.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186767

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I did the mod on the MI mount mentioned above.  Now the mount will slide all the way forward.  However since there is no stop on the front, its kind of a trade off since it could walk its way off the front?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did the mod on the MI mount mentioned above.  Now the mount will slide all the way forward.  However since there is no stop on the front, its kind of a trade off since it could walk its way off the front?
View Quote

Did you open the whole rear? If you only notched to clear the top ridge of the rail (skeletonized dovetail),  the remaining metal should stop further forward on the bottom ridge of the rail. If necessary, It looks easy to drill and put a stop wherever you need it.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did you open the whole rear? If you only notched to clear the top ridge of the rail (skeletonized dovetail),  the remaining metal should stop further forward on the bottom ridge of the rail. If necessary, It looks easy to drill and put a stop wherever you need it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh ok, your right.  Yes, I only notched the upper part, so the bottom part of the mount backside should catch on the bottom rail groove.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top