Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:15:59 PM EDT
I've ordered my first AK, an Arsenal SLR107FR. I plan to run irons for awhile but want a red dot at some point, I've narrowed it to either an Aimpoint Pro or a micro of some kind, what are the pros and cons of each type?

I'm thinking an RS mount if it matters.

http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php

Any opinions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
size/weight VS cost VS Battery life. What is more important to you?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not really sure to be honest, after a little searching I've found that an Aimpoint micro is out, I'm not paying $650-$700 for one. So it would have to be another brand of good quality.

I suppose the most important points to me are durability, sight acquisition, accuracy, field of view and battery life, in that order.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you need the micro...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure to be honest, after a little searching I've found that an Aimpoint micro is out, I'm not paying $650-$700 for one. So it would have to be another brand of good quality.

I suppose the most important points to me are durability, sight acquisition, accuracy, field of view and battery life, in that order.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I purchased an Arsenal SLR-107 a few weeks back, didnt have a side rail so went with the Midwest Industries AK Rail with T1 top cover and found an Aimpoint H1 on the ARF EE for $450 shipped, if you keep an eye out you can find them.

If I had an FR or wanted to install the side rail I would probably use a side mounted low rail and an AIMPOINT PRO (about $350-390 on EE) andfound a low ring to mount correctly.

#1 thing that I was looking for was light weight because I am putting it forward of the receiver
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I purchased an Arsenal SLR-107 a few weeks back, didnt have a side rail so went with the Midwest Industries AK Rail with T1 top cover and found an Aimpoint H1 on the ARF EE for $450 shipped, if you keep an eye out you can find them.

If I had an FR or wanted to install the side rail I would probably use a side mounted low rail and an AIMPOINT PRO (about $350-390 on EE) andfound a low ring to mount correctly.

#1 thing that I was looking for was light weight because I am putting it forward of the receiver
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Equipment Exchange is definitely your friend for these. I tried a RS mount with a PA microdot on my SLR106 to see if going full bore on a T-1 would be worth it (YES, definitely worth it). The PA dot comes damn near close to approximating a T-1 but doesn't co-witness like the T-1 does. IMO co-witnessing your irons isn't that big a deal for firing but knowing your dot is still aligned with the irons is priceless for us paranoid types.  2[ MOA dots Rock by the way.

RS mounts rock  (windage adjustable), but if your lucky a MI side mount (not windage Adj.)will align with your bore for less $. While not a big fan of sights out on the gas tube,Ultimak and MI mounts, do work pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually prefer the PRO (currently using a Comp-C3 which is very similar). The dot looks more like a dot than an *. I have H1/T1 on other guns but am coming to like the bigger aimpoints when using a side mount as the weight is not very noticeable since it's more rearward.

Larger tube size is nice too (and yes I know how to use an Aimpoint, but size can still matter.)
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I actually prefer the PRO (currently using a Comp-C3 which is very similar). The dot looks more like a dot than an *. I have H1/T1 on other guns but am coming to like the bigger aimpoints when using a side mount as the weight is not very noticeable since it's more rearward.

Larger tube size is nice too (and yes I know how to use an Aimpoint, but size can still matter.)
View Quote

Me too. I'm running a Comp M3 on an ultimak (have had it this way for 2+ years) it's perfect for me. I like the larger opening when it's farther forward, and the weight hasn't bothered me.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top