Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 8:59:10 PM EDT
I am trying to decide between two optics on Atlantic Firearms, The Venezuela PK-A or the Kobra

I will be using which ever one I get in Alaska and possibly in the winter too. Here is what I have to consider

The PK-A has a 1MOA dot, 1000 hr battery life, is co witnisable (good thing to verify zero since it will be on and off the rifle every time it goes in and out of the safe) It's NVG compatible and weighs 1.3 pounds

The Kobra has a .5 mil dot (about twice as big) but a lower 70hr battery life, It is not cowitisable but has multipul reticals, I dont know if it's NVG compatible, but its lighter at .9 pounds

The biggest concern is the low end of the operating temps. I figure this is dictated by the battery but the PK-A will function down to -25f and the Kobra to -50f. I will be in fairbanks where it gets down to the -50 range. It would be a real issue but I probably wont shoot when its below -20f since thats freaking cold enough to be outside trying to shoot.

Which one would you get? Weight isnt a real big issue for me since they are close. I really like how I can verify zero with the PK-A and use NVG's (like in the winter in alaska) but I'm concerned about the low operating temp.

My only other issue is I dont know how bright the highest setting is for the reticals. If I'm shooting in the spring time where it might be really bright with the sun reflecting off the snow the 1moa dot will probably be hard to find if its not super bright. I had problems in Iraq with the Aimpoint Comp M4 unless it was on its highest setting. And that one has a 4moa dot and a really bright setting.

What one would you get? Which one do you have?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The BelOMO website specifies the temperature range for the PK-A Venezuela to be -40 to +50 C.
-40C is -40F in freedom units.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO PKA-Venezuela is the better of the two, but I have really learned to like the Kobra over the past few years. Battery life of Kobra is not 70 hours, some people have gotten over 900 hours on the EKP-8-02 model. I haven't tested the EKP-1S-03 model yet but I doubt with two AA batteries it's only 70 hours.

Also don't forget to investigate the collimators like PK-AS, Obzor and Rakurs. They have significant advantages over Kobra and are worth considering.

http://russianoptics.net/reddot.html

Z
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Kobra, but it took me a while to find paper with it... like years (5 years).  I didn't know that you actually had to lift portion of the turn wheel to get the sight to turn further, I mean I was like a foot an a half low at 25 meters with it, once I adjusted it, it became my favorite two eyes open optic, that being said, get the PK-A
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO PKA-Venezuela is the better of the two, but I have really learned to like the Kobra over the past few years. Battery life of Kobra is not 70 hours, some people have gotten over 900 hours on the EKP-8-02 model. I haven't tested the EKP-1S-03 model yet but I doubt with two AA batteries it's only 70 hours.

Also don't forget to investigate the collimators like PK-AS, Obzor and Rakurs. They have significant advantages over Kobra and are worth considering.

Z
View Quote

This, the PK-A Venezuela is the better optic IMO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

How did you come to this POV?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
For me it was side by side usage and experience with various types of red dot optics and collimators. Kobra is very cool and actually has battle proven effectiveness in Chechnya and other places, but PK-A Venezuela is essentially simpler and more straightforward to use. While I don't mind the height of Kobra personally PK-A is lower and easier for Western shooters to get familiar with, it fulfills the need that many Western shooters have for cowitness and it has almost twice the battery life of Kobra while also being brighter on maximum settings.

Either will serve a shooter well but all things considered I give the nod to PK-A Venezuela
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Using them.  The PK is bullet proof and built for military use.  I always saw the Kobra as more of a novelty.  I prefer the height over the bore of the PK, its ability to co-witness if desired, and as has been stated...a much better battery life.  It is also aesthetically more pleasing if that matters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
well the pendulum swings back tword the PK-A. Anyone else have any ideas
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't tried the Kobra, so my opinion is worthless, BUT............

I have a normal PK-A, and I find the dot-size, shape, brightness to be absolutely ideal compared to other sights I've tried to use on AK's.  I also find it's optically superior to other sights I've tried.  

Given the advantages of the Venezuela over the standard PK-A, I have no doubt it's a fantastic unit.  I want one BADLY.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been very happy with my PK-A Venezuela.  Very nice optic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Citadel is right, and I love my Kobra. The new PK-A just feels much more solid compared to Kobra. The only advantage of Kobra is that it has a larger field of view. But then you use both eyes open anyways when using the PK-A...so that argument goes out the window as well...

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had both optics.  The Kobra is a nice optic but the power on/off switch on mine was touchy.  The older model (like mine) was prone to breaking.  I liked the selection of "dots" in the optic, preferred the "T" dot.

The Kobra sits higher than the PK-A Venezuela so it's more of a chin weld than a cheek weld to get a good sight picture.  The PK-A sits low, has a lower 1/3rd co-witness and (imo) is built much better.  I like the fact that a single AA battery is all that is needed and 1k hours of life is perfect.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Kobra and got rid of it when I got my PK-AS just saying.  I wish I hadn't but I needed to recoup the funds for the PK-AS at the time. That being said I love the PK-AS and want another but will probably pick up a PK-A for cost and availability over the PK-AS.  I would choose either over the Kobra, not that it is a bad optic but I love the FOV on the PK-AS and the etched reticle.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top