Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/20/2012 7:00:29 AM EDT
I am looking at fixed scopes as well and was wondering if anyone has this set up.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious as well.  I could have sworn I saw a picture of a 1X on an AK just last week and the owner was talking about how much they liked it. (maybe I saw it on akforum?)
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a 7.62, rather a 5.45, but you get the picture.  Here is my Millett DMS 1-4 on a Bulgarian AK-74.  The mount is a Midwest Industries side rail mount.  I love this setup and find it to be the perfect scope setup for an AK.  Quick transition from CQB to long range.  The eye relief can be almost too long on some of the 1-4 optics though, since they are really designed for AR's.  You can see my scope is as far forward on the mount as it can go.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sturmgewehre did a review of one here somewhat recently.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used quite a few.

Nikon Monarch 1-4X
Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4X
Weaver Classic 1-3X
Optisan (Very/virtually similar to Millet DMS/Bushnell Trophy XLT,etc.) 1-4X.

All are as far forward on ANY mount as I can get them.   1-4X's seem to simply have too much eye relief, except for  few.  All of my scopes also use "extension rings" which move the scope forward about 3/4".   Alot of people don't like the Weaver "clamp-overs", which is all that's available.  I don't have a problem with them, and they are solid once they're on.

I couldn't use the Optisan because the eye relief was just too long, and the Monarch was barely usable.  

The Bushnell Elite has a shorter eye relief, and isn't a problem.    

I like 1-4s, will continue using them, but it's  a shortcoming shared by ALL mounts, TWS top cover mount as well as almost all 1-4X scopes.     I haven't tried a Leatherwood CMR, but with it's eye relief of 3.12 inches, it should be about the best choice out there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody ever try one of the older Leupold M8 fixed power scopes?  With 4.9 inch eye relief I supposed it wouldn't be ideal on an AK.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've used quite a few.

Nikon Monarch 1-4X
Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4X
Weaver Classic 1-3X
Optisan (Very/virtually similar to Millet DMS/Bushnell Trophy XLT,etc.) 1-4X.

All are as far forward on ANY mount as I can get them.   1-4X's seem to simply have too much eye relief, except for  few.  All of my scopes also use "extension rings" which move the scope forward about 3/4".   Alot of people don't like the Weaver "clamp-overs", which is all that's available.  I don't have a problem with them, and they are solid once they're on.

I couldn't use the Optisan because the eye relief was just too long, and the Monarch was barely usable.  

The Bushnell Elite has a shorter eye relief, and isn't a problem.    

I like 1-4s, will continue using them, but it's  a shortcoming shared by ALL mounts, TWS top cover mount as well as almost all 1-4X scopes.     I haven't tried a Leatherwood CMR, but with it's eye relief of 3.12 inches, it should be about the best choice out there.

Thanks.  How difficult is it to figure out the bullet drop for distance?  It seems easier for an AK-74 to use a 1-4x as most of the reticles are for 5.56, which is close to 5.45.  I have only seen the fixed ACOG and PSOP with BDC for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
A few of us have been using Trijicon Accupoints(BAC version) on AKs for many years. Since it has the best illuminated daylight visible reticule in the industry, target engagement is almost as fast as a red dot at CQB distances.

On 7.62x39 AKMs, once the triangle reticule is zeroed at 200 yards, the base of the triangle can serve as 300 yard BDC aiming point.
If more precise shots are needed, move up the elevation by 4 MOA on the scope.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A few of us have been using Trijicon Accupoints(BAC version) on AKs for many years. Since it has the best illuminated daylight visible reticule in the industry, target engagement is almost as fast as a red dot at CQB distances.

On 7.62x39 AKMs, once the triangle reticule is zeroed at 200 yards, the base of the triangle can serve as 300 yard BDC aiming point.

Thanks for the response.  Can you explain this in a little more detail as I only use red dots and fixed scopes.  Could you zero at 100 or 50 yards and still have the base as a BDC point?  How does the accupoint range?  Do you just aim high for long shots and COM for everything else?
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the response.  Can you explain this in a little more detail as I only use red dots and fixed scopes.  Could you zero at 100 or 50 yards and still have the base as a BDC point?  How does the accupoint range?  Do you just aim high for long shots and COM for everything else?

For the 300 yards/meters hold-over technique to work, battle zero has to be 200 yards or 200 meters because the triangle reticule height is 4.3 MOA.
I guess you can aim high for 200 yards+ shots for IPSC-sized targets. I always use the elevation turret and my dope chart for anything over 200 yards because targets are usually 8-10 inches.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Holdover isn't real terrible, I'm zeroed about 200 yards.  About dead on at 50, 3" high at 100 dead on at 200, and about 10" low at 300.  Past that I'm switching to a  .308

I'd like to see a scope with a German #4 reticle with holdover/hash marks on the thing crosshairs.  Nikon does on their fixed 3X but the crosshairs are way to thin and hav exposed turrets.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the 300 yards/meters hold-over technique to work, battle zero has to be 200 yards or 200 meters because the triangle reticule height is 4.3 MOA.
I guess you can aim high for 200 yards+ shots for IPSC-sized targets. I always use the elevation turret and my dope chart for anything over 200 yards because targets are usually 8-10 inches.

Do you have any pics of your set up?  How is the cheek weld?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw this the other day. Go about 2:50 into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGG668imuY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Saw this the other day. Go about 2:50 into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGG668imuY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For side mounts, use a set of extended low rings if you want to shoot prone. Add buttpad if Warsaw-length stock is too short in prone position, or use NATO length stock.

-Ideal eye relief

-Borderline acceptable eye relief for low prone shooting

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For side mounts, use a set of extended low rings if you want to shoot prone. Add buttpad if Warsaw-length stock is too short in prone position, or use NATO length stock.

-Ideal eye relief
http://i52.tinypic.com/20qlt8z.jpg

-Borderline acceptable eye relief for low prone shooting
http://i49.tinypic.com/2igmvk4.jpg

Thank you for the pics.  How does that blackhawk cheek piece hold up?  Is it sturdy or do you get a lot of roll?
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheek pad is tied into the buttpad, so no movement.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Generally you need a short optic and a good mount.  Hopefully as said, RS will come up with something.  I prefer a one piece mount instead of having separate rings, mount, and such but that is my personal preference.  I have tried it, but found no acceptable solution yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#18]
the things you have to worry about are eye relief and cheek weld, and where to put it, i advise a MI side rail.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 2:57:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the things you have to worry about are eye relief and cheek weld, and where to put it, i advise a MI side rail.

This. Or RS Regulate.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Or RS Regulate.

Not quite yet for RS.  As soon as they release the AKS, they will be a good option.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Or RS Regulate.

Not quite yet for RS.  As soon as they release the AKS, they will be a good option.

Looking at the release order the products are listed on the RS website. It will be 3 more years.
Too bad the TWS G2 system didn't work on any of my AKs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]
ive got an acog ordered that is supposed to be here in 8 weeks.  if rs regulate releases their mount, im gonna go with it.  if they dont have it out by then, i guess im gonna give the MI rail a shot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Horse said the AKS is very close:  It won't be 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been running a Vortex PST 1-4 for a few months now and really like the combo of the scope and cartridge (5.45x39mm) of my converted Saiga.

I am getting 2.5 MOA with it.

It is mounted on the TWS action cover - with UTG low rings.  Yes - UTG.  They are solid and have repeated zero after removing them three times.  Can't ask for more.

cheers

tire iron

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
tire iron, very pretty yet practically rifle.  Is that a cartridge case on the bolt handle?
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks!  Good eyes - however it is a 1" length of 1/2" fuel hose that I have pounded onto the charging handle.  Makes the charging handle slightly "sticky" - so my hand won't slip off when wet/muddy.

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Have a 1-3X on my M10 7.62x39.

I'm just trying it out with an inexpensive UTG side rail. The rail weights about 7 oz, which is typical for these rails. It fit great and locks up tight. Have not tested re-zero yet. I'm going to zero the rifle at 50 yds with the irons at 25M. I'm using the Burris Xtac low rings. (About 4 or 5 oz together IIRC) They are heavy but very solid! The scope only weighs 9 oz with lens protectors. This set up adds a little weight, but didn't hurt the balance of the rifle at all. It handles very nice and is not barrel heavy.

The scope and mount remove very quickly and the dust cover can easily be removed without taking the scope off.

I had to get a raised comb for the stock but I thought I would have to anyway.

I was concerned about sight height but at 3.1 inches (center of bore to center of scope) it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

I have not fired it for nice groups yet (five or ten shot) but plan to.

Link Posted: 7/22/2012 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I run a posp 4x fixed scope on my converted saiga x39. I really like it. The BDC on the commie scopes work good, at least out the 300 yds I've ran it. My Gf can hammer a 24 inch gong at 200 yds without any trouble.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top