Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2012 1:41:31 PM EDT
Just had a frustrating range trip trying to sight in my strikefire, just couldn't get it to stay on target.  Waisted 20 rounds of ammo and looked at my mount and saw that my strikefire had slid and rotated in the rs mount.  Screw's were completely tight.  I think I'll try a little rtv silicone around the ring unless someone recommends anything better.  Anyone else have issues with this mount..
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the first time I have heard of this with the RS mount.

A couple of wraps of electrical tape on the tube of the Strikefire should take care of it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the recommendation, never thought of electrical tape.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A couple of wraps of electrical tape on the tube of the Strikefire should take care of it.

This! I had the same issue with the Primary Arms M3. I used electrical tape to fix the issue. I didn't have any issues with my Aimpoint M2 on the RS mount.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
This is good to know! I literally just got this same setup and haven't shot yet. When you said the screws were all the way tight, did the strikefire "feel" solid before you shot? I also used blue thread lock on my screws. Did you as well?
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 4:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The issue is with the ID of the RS mount ring being too large for the OD of the Strikefire tube.  When you run into that problem, it really doesn't matter how hard you crank on the ring screws.

Like aznjunkie, I ran into the problem with my PA M3 clone and RS mount.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I didn't have any issues with my Aimpoint M2 on the RS mount.

+1

So far my SGL31 w/Aimpoint ML2 in the RS mount hasn't had any issues.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It's my understanding that the Primary Arms and StrikeFire aren't always exactly the same diameter as an Aimpoint Comp M2/M3.  The RS mount is intended for the Aimpoint Comp M2/M3 sights but will work with other less expensive sights such as the Primary Arms or StrikeFire most of the time.  I have a StrikeFire mounted to one of my AK's with the RS mount and haven't had any issues.  As mentioned, a single wrap of electrical tape should remedy any issues you have if you do run into this problem.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

It's my understanding that the Primary Arms and StrikeFire aren't always exactly the same diameter as an Aimpoint Comp M2/M3.  The RS mount is intended for the Aimpoint Comp M2/M3 sights but will work with other less expensive sights such as the Primary Arms or StrikeFire most of the time.  I have a StrikeFire mounted to one of my AK's with the RS mount and haven't had any issues.  As mentioned, a single wrap of electrical tape should remedy any issues you have if you do run into this problem.

Tim,

I JUST took my SGL-31 to the range for the first time today. I have an RS AKM mount with a Vortex Strikefire just like yourself and many others. However, I have a pretty big issue...

At 25 yards, I had to use every last bit of elevation to move my shots up and I am still about a half an inch low. Why in the Hell would I have to use all 100MOA of elevation adjustment? I doubt its the side rail, since its an Arsenal...

All elevation used up and still a half an inch low at 25 yards. I am baffled.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is good to know! I literally just got this same setup and haven't shot yet. When you said the screws were all the way tight, did the strikefire "feel" solid before you shot? I also used blue thread lock on my screws. Did you as well?

Actually it did feel solid, and did have blue locktite on the threads, it was definitely the inside diameter of the ring was a little too targe.  I just used one layer of electrical tape. I started with two layers and I almost stripped out the threads on one screw, took off a  layer and everything lined up better, so I went with that.  I'll haven't had time to go out and shoot it again but I hope it takes care of the issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Tim,

I JUST took my SGL-31 to the range for the first time today. I have an RS AKM mount with a Vortex Strikefire just like yourself and many others. However, I have a pretty big issue...

At 25 yards, I had to use every last bit of elevation to move my shots up and I am still about a half an inch low. Why in the Hell would I have to use all 100MOA of elevation adjustment? I doubt its the side rail, since its an Arsenal...

All elevation used up and still a half an inch low at 25 yards. I am baffled.

It's hard to say, but it *could* be the rail.  Have you tried any other optics on the rifle using the side rail?  Did it require quite a bit of elevation to zero the other optic?  I would see if that works first.  It's not uncommon for side rails to be way out of whack with the bores of some rifles.  It could also be an issue with the RS rail, but that seems less likely to me.  It's hard to say though without doing some experimenting to figure out the source of the issue.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually had to adjust mine way up to, probably had at least 50 clicks on it so I at least used 25 moa adjustment, and I may have even cranked it more then that.  So it could be a arsenal thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an "FYI" for anyone else, I emailed Scot over at RS and told him about the issue I was having. Holy crap! Talk about customer service...he took the time to help me troubleshoot the issue from asking for pictures of the setup to even making a video about the correct way to clamp the RS mount onto the siderail. We ruled out the Vortex being the issue, and after checking level, we also ruled out the side rail on my Arsenal. He also assured me that after I test it at the range again, if redoing the fitting to my rail didn't fix it, he would see that I get my mount exchanged. In fact, he said "you paid good money for it and it should work! You are 100% covered if there's an issue with the rail".

I will update here after another range test. Thanks again to Scot from RS for some friggen awesome customer service

EDIT for link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetq6pKeCEY
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#13]
i had the same problem with my rs mount with a vortex strikefire setup, too.. after putting 160 rounds.. i noticed that the optic shifted all the way forward.. the lens cap barely fits when i put my rear sight back down.. it has held zero after shifting tho.. today..i tried some teflon tape wrapped around the vortex.. i'll check if the optic shifts with this setup on the next range trip.. wish i saw this post before went the the range yesterday...
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top