Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 44
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I finally got mine in. I ordered it in the third or fourth week of March and received it on May 6th.

Hmmm, I ordered mine on 3/10 straight through TWS and still haven't received so much as a tracking number...

Yeah, I ordered mine directly in the middle of March and I'm still waiting as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just recieved mine today after ordering it friday and installed it,looks like a nice piece of kit. I was thinking of installing a primary arms microdot and was wondering if anyone else is running one here on a gen 2 rail.
I would like to know what kind of cowitness  you are getting,and any other info that anyone would deem sharing on this combo.
Thanks

Just ordered the exact same setup yesterday and can not wait.Looks like you might be the first range report to post if you do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just recieved mine today after ordering it friday and installed it,looks like a nice piece of kit. I was thinking of installing a primary arms microdot and was wondering if anyone else is running one here on a gen 2 rail.
I would like to know what kind of cowitness  you are getting,and any other info that anyone would deem sharing on this combo.
Thanks

OK can you clarify?
You said you ordered it Friday and just received it??
I have been waiting since mid March, I have called and e-mailed them with no reply, and you just ordered one up and got it like that?

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

OK can you clarify?
You said you ordered it Friday and just received it??
I have been waiting since mid March, I have called and e-mailed them with no reply, and you just ordered one up and got it like that?

I ordered 6 may received it 9 may from jabtac.Sorry for your issue hope you get it soon.Is anyone here running a primary arms micro dot?
I'm going to the range thurs no optic yet I'm going to zero the irons.The sight pic is alittle odd with the new rear but nothing I can't get used to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got an email that says mine is shipping today.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When did you order it and from where?

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did you order it and from where?

3/10/11 from TWS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the PA Micro with a fixed base will work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine yesterday and installed it. Ordered it early March. I like it but the peep sight does me no good with the scope I am using. I need to get quick release mounts. I hope to get to the range next week.
I used the rear sight spring when I installed it. In my opinion it makes for a tighter fit
Lots of fun removing the rear sight and the cam lock release button but I got it done.
It do look GOOD!
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got mine yesterday and installed it. Ordered it early March. I like it but the peep sight does me no good with the scope I am using. I need to get quick release mounts. I hope to get to the range next week.
I used the rear sight spring when I installed it. In my opinion it makes for a tighter fit
Lots of fun removing the rear sight and the cam lock release button but I got it done.
It do look GOOD!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Ger42/Holster%20Minotaur/IMG_3269.jpg

Looks good. Did you finish it?  It seems to match the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I posted earlier saying I got the updated spacer. I'm currently running a Polish Tantal on a NODAK receiver. The spacer sits at an angle within the rear trunnion and I think it prevents the button from seating all the way back. With the cover down, the button sits flush with the edge of the cover. According to the beta test the button is supposed to sit out like 1/3 or 1/4 out of the cover to keep it down. It is currently holding it down with the outer edge. I have also noticed problems racking the action, the bolt carrier does not go all the way back.

I was originally considering keeping the spacer on if it would fit, but it looks like the spacer will have to be removed. I have asked a mechanical engineering friend of mine to give his opinion as to whether a spacer would affect the structural integrity of the weapon or not. I'll post his opinion for all interested since this debate has been pretty ongoing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It do look GOOD!

IMO The best new product for an AK out there. They should all come this way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It do look GOOD!

It came that way I just mounted it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my micro dot today now I just need my GenII to show up and it's off to range!
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, you could, but you would need to use a Dremel to grind on the button a little to provide some added clearance. The main body has been made a little fatter to allow more material around the slot. With the fatter body if the spacer is removed it would interfere with the carrier at the corner where the angled part transitions into the round section around the guide wire.

The easy answer is to just run it as it is. It certainly won't hurt anything to have it and the weight penalty is tiny.

Can we see a picture of the modifications needed to remove please?

Because of the spacer my bolt carrier will not pull back all the way. Even if it were to fit: A mechanical engineering friend of mine recommended me to remove the metal spacer and leave it bare or add a rubber one. Either way the spacer has got to go.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got mine in the mail an hour ago.  Looks damn-good.  Should be able to get it mounted up tonight, so I'll post some horrible cell phone camera pics after it's on.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, you could, but you would need to use a Dremel to grind on the button a little to provide some added clearance. The main body has been made a little fatter to allow more material around the slot. With the fatter body if the spacer is removed it would interfere with the carrier at the corner where the angled part transitions into the round section around the guide wire.

The easy answer is to just run it as it is. It certainly won't hurt anything to have it and the weight penalty is tiny.

Can we see a picture of the modifications needed to remove please?

Because of the spacer my bolt carrier will not pull back all the way. Even if it were to fit: A mechanical engineering friend of mine recommended me to remove the metal spacer and leave it bare or add a rubber one. Either way the spacer has got to go.

Is it a problem if the bolt carrier doesn't go back all the way?  I too would prefer it without the spacer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#18]
jabtac

Wow that truly sucks. They had these in stock?  While us wait 2 months for them?   They show out of stock right now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it a problem if the bolt carrier doesn't go back all the way? I too would prefer it without the spacer.

I took a closer look today, its been a busy week. I'm thinking of just going to the range sometime this weekend to test it. I looked with a flashlight while the cover was down to make sure the spacer is seated correctly and it looks fine. I'm a bit uneasy about the button not being out as far as Rafaga said it should be... but that was before he designed this spacer set-up. The cover seems locked down though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Go tmine today....love it.  Only thing I didn't like was having to swith to the "two loops" in the recoil spring, instead of the "mini shock" that was in the recoil spring of my arsenal.  Seems so much flimsier, but I guess it's an AK, and if it works...it works =)
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm a bit uneasy about the button not being out as far as Rafaga said it should be... but that was before he designed this spacer set-up. The cover seems locked down though.

Same with mine.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-05-13190327.jpg

Overall, though, seems solid.  Not sure when I'll be able to put it through its paces, but I'm looking forward to it.  Definitely much more solid than that cheap $20 POS I'd been using off and on.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-05-13184612.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-05-13184626.jpg
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a bit uneasy about the button not being out as far as Rafaga said it should be... but that was before he designed this spacer set-up. The cover seems locked down though.

Same with mine.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-05-13190327.jpg

Overall, though, seems solid.  Not sure when I'll be able to put it through its paces, but I'm looking forward to it.  Definitely much more solid than that cheap $20 POS I'd been using off and on.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-05-13184612.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e163/Deviate_3s/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-05-13184626.jpg

Are you getting a cowitness with that setup?

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No, it's a little high.  I'm not all that concerned about cowitnessing, though.  I just want the metal to fly to where the red dot is.  As long as that happens, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I got mine today and spent the last 30 minutes unsuccessfully trying to remove the rear sight.  I watched multiple videos of how to do it and tried multiple techniques...FAIL.  Really aggravating as it looks like it should be simple, just press the spring down and work the sight out.  The only thing I've succeeded in is in wearing the paint off the spring.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Before I spend $25 for the Campy Sight Tool (not sure it will even work on my Arsenal (Saiga) SGL-21, anybody know for sure?), any recommendations on how to proceed?
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's a little high.  I'm not all that concerned about cowitnessing, though.  I just want the metal to fly to where the red dot is.  As long as that happens, I'm happy.

Do you think with a different mount you could get it to sit right on the rail and to cowitness (at least lower 1/3)?  Seems like you should be able to.  I'm not completely set on cowitness but just getting a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got mine today and spent the last 30 minutes unsuccessfully trying to remove the rear sight.  I watched multiple videos of how to do it and tried multiple techniques...FAIL.  Really aggravating as it looks like it should be simple, just press the spring down and work the sight out.  The only thing I've succeeded in is in wearing the paint off the spring.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Before I spend $25 for the Campy Sight Tool (not sure it will even work on my Arsenal (Saiga) SGL-21, anybody know for sure?), any recommendations on how to proceed?

I can tell you how I do it & it works for me every time. I place a small brass drift punch at about 45* to the sight, right on the end, where the pin is. Make sure your sight adjuster is set in the battle sight position. You're trying to force the sight down & to the rear. I hold the punch with my thumb & index finger, the rest of my hand is covering the sight. Just give the brass drift a good whack with a hammer & the sight should pop right out. If it doesn't, try it again. It's not rocket surgery, but it does take a little finesse. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is the best way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLv7zvUv66k
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can tell you how I do it & it works for me every time. I place a small brass drift punch at about 45* to the sight, right on the end, where the pin is. Make sure your sight adjuster is set in the battle sight position. You're trying to force the sight down & to the rear. I hold the punch with my thumb & index finger, the rest of my hand is covering the sight. Just give the brass drift a good whack with a hammer & the sight should pop right out. If it doesn't, try it again. It's not rocket surgery, but it does take a little finesse. Good luck

Thanks!  That was the solution.  I had been trying to press the spring down, hadn't been smacking the actual sight.  Three quick tries and it went flying across the room.  I owe you one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is it a problem if the bolt carrier doesn't go back all the way? I too would prefer it without the spacer.

I took a closer look today, its been a busy week. I'm thinking of just going to the range sometime this weekend to test it. I looked with a flashlight while the cover was down to make sure the spacer is seated correctly and it looks fine. I'm a bit uneasy about the button not being out as far as Rafaga said it should be... but that was before he designed this spacer set-up. The cover seems locked down though.

Mine is the same as well, I took off the spacer and noticed hardly any change.
I have however put 200 rds though mine with no issue .

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think with a different mount you could get it to sit right on the rail and to cowitness (at least lower 1/3)?  Seems like you should be able to.  I'm not completely set on cowitness but just getting a good cheek weld.

Very doubtful; not with my Vortex.  The amount of clearance between the bottom of the scope and the rail (the theoretical amount the scope could be lowered if all other factors were irrelevant) isn't quite as much as the distance that the red dot is above the front sight post.  If that makes sense...
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  That was the solution.  I had been trying to press the spring down, hadn't been smacking the actual sight.  Three quick tries and it went flying across the room.  I owe you one.

Glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Just picked up a trs-25 and the cowitness  appears to be absolute.
I never thought would shoot an ak w/reddot and have a cheekweld.
I can't wait to try it at the range.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How are you liking the TRS-25?  I bought one recently off amazon.com for a good price but had to return it because the reticle was fuzzy / starbursting on me (at least for my eyes).  It wasn't really that bad, I guess, but I'm just picky about having a crisp dot.  I'm thinking about trying the PA Gen7.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are you liking the TRS-25?  I bought one recently off amazon.com for a good price but had to return it because the reticle was fuzzy / starbursting on me (at least for my eyes).  It wasn't really that bad, I guess, but I'm just picky about having a crisp dot.  I'm thinking about trying the PA Gen7.

None of the problems you listed,a local shop had for 69.00 so I thought I would try one.So far it seems GTG.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#35]
The spacer on my Arsenal keep the button from going through the rail mount far enough.  I'm removing the spacer tomorrow with a dremel, and buying a black jack spacer as well to replace it.  Shame this isn't an option for all of us that do NOT have a Saiga.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#36]
i am having this same problem mike... be careful though. The hole that Rafaga driled for the pin to slide back and forth could mean that the button will be weaker if you remove too much metal along the edge as he suggested for relief. Take a look at the hole to see what I'm talking about... you may want to use a file instead of a dremel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i am having this same problem mike... be careful though. The hole that Rafaga driled for the pin to slide back and forth could mean that the button will be weaker if you remove too much metal along the edge as he suggested for relief. Take a look at the hole to see what I'm talking about... you may want to use a file instead of a dremel.

Gonna actually try and not remove any material.  I THINK the Black jack buffer will keep anything from hitting the extra material he is talking about...we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gonna actually try and not remove any material.  I THINK the Black jack buffer will keep anything from hitting the extra material he is talking about...we'll see.

Will you take pics of the before and after to show the rest of us?  When my dogleg arrives, I'll want to know how yours turned out and figure out how to proceed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will you take pics of the before and after to show the rest of us?  When my dogleg arrives, I'll want to know how yours turned out and figure out how to proceed.

I don't have my camera today, but tomorrow I'll post pictures here and explain what all I did.  It's all really simple.

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Well I'm confused.

I have a WASR 10/63 will this fit it?  Do I need the spacer or would I need to dremel it off? I have this rail on order. I didn't get any config options?

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Romy SAR-1 I took my spacer off,the button doesn't stick very far out of the cover though.I have a call into tws about this but they keep saying they'll call but haven't yet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well I'm confused.

I have a WASR 10/63 will this fit it?  Do I need the spacer or would I need to dremel it off? I have this rail on order. I didn't get any config options?

Yes, it will fit.  No, you don't need the spacer.  No, you don't need to dremel it off.  Mine's on a WASR as well, and it fits just fine with the small (possibly meaningless?) exception of the button not sticking out as I previously posted pics of.  Feels pretty solid to me, so I'm not overly concerned about it yet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Just talked to Nelson,pretty nice guy.
He told me the buttons on his newer models
doesn't stick out as far as the older models.
This was done so there would be less if any play in it.
This answer satisfies me along with putting 200 rds though it
With no zero shift or my cover flying off.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a Romy SAR-1 I took my spacer off,the button doesn't stick very far out of the cover though.I have a call into tws about this but they keep saying they'll call but haven't yet.

Did you have any issues when you removed the spacer?  I thought removing it caused some issues unless you did some dremel work.  Pics would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you have any issues when you removed the spacer?  I thought removing it caused some issues unless you did some dremel work.  Pics would be nice.

Nothing to take pics of, I threw out the spacer.
All I did was grind down one side of the spacer as posted
earlier in this thread and remove the pin with a punch, it was pretty easy.
I use a buffer tech buffer,both wouldn't fit so I removed
The spacer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally got mine in the mail.  I think I might be having a fitting issue with an SGL31.

The button doesn't stick out at all.  It's flush with the cover.  I have a feeling the spacer is the culprit.  And I really have to press hard to unlock it.  When "locked down", it seems rigid enough.  But when I unfold it, it seems quite loose near the hinge.  It wobbles side to side and up and down.  Was I supposed to install it with the leaf sight spring?  I tried doing that initially, and it seemed impossible.  Unless I had someone with herculean finger strength depressing the spring whilst I hinge it to the trunnion.  

I've mucked with it quite a bit, but maybe I'm just retarded.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Finally got mine in the mail.  I think I might be having a fitting issue with an SGL31.

The button doesn't stick out at all.  It's flush with the cover.  I have a feeling the spacer is the culprit.  And I really have to press hard to unlock it.  When "locked down", it seems rigid enough.  But when I unfold it, it seems quite loose near the hinge.  It wobbles side to side and up and down.  Was I supposed to install it with the leaf sight spring?  I tried doing that initially, and it seemed impossible.  Unless I had someone with herculean finger strength depressing the spring whilst I hinge it to the trunnion.  

Yes, you are suppose to install it with the sight spring in place. I didnt have the smoothest time installing it either, but somehow I got the pin in

Edit: Instructions are posted on page 49 of this thread.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That doesn't bode well, as I was planning to install mine (in the mail) on my SGL-31 as well. But I've heard others have had no problems.

Although you are supposed to use the leaf spring to install it, I've heard of others who didn't use the spring.  Compare, for instance, the review that Military Arms did on YouTube with his SGL-31: he didn't use the spring and it supposedly worked fine.  

Just to clarify, how is the spacer affecting the ability of the button to stick out?
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I believe you are supposed to put the leaf spring on a hard surface & hit it with a hammer to take some of the curve & therefore the pressure out of the spring.  Leave just enough to put a little pressure on the front hinge area of GEN II which will in turn take any slack out of front of mount.  I would have the rifle with me when doing this as you may have to do it in increments & or several times to get just the right amount of pressure for your liking.

Just my 2 cents....
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't bode well, as I was planning to install mine (in the mail) on my SGL-31 as well. But I've heard others have had no problems.

Although you are supposed to use the leaf spring to install it, I've heard of others who didn't use the spring.  Compare, for instance, the review that Military Arms did on YouTube with his SGL-31: he didn't use the spring and it supposedly worked fine.  

Just to clarify, how is the spacer affecting the ability of the button to stick out?

I was able to install it with the spring easily this time.  I don't know why I was having so much trouble before.  There is little play at the hinge now, and I can slap the top cover closed easily enough.  The button sticks out SLIGHTLY.  And it can be hard to depress, and raise the cover.  I've pinched my fingers a few times––never had this problem with the default cover.  I wish the button had a more positive click, or would protrude out a bit more.  After further analysis, the spacer isn't affecting the fitting.  It does seem a bit useless though, and I'm thinking of removing it.  If you want the ability to remove a cover quickly, then you probably shouldn't buy this cover.  I've fitted it as well as it can be fitted to this rife.  And it seems stable when locked down.  Next up is some locktite, and a range trip.

I guess you could say my initial impressions are mixed.

On another note, I do like the peep site and I don't see the need for an adjustable one.  You can adjust the front post with a $8 tool, lol.
Page / 44
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top